The Student Room Group

Dissertation

I am a Masters student and I've been working on my 6000-word dissertation for the past month. I started out later than most of my coursemates. We have a data analytic research approach to this dissertation.
I am worried that I would not be able to finish the data analysis and write it all in less than two months and also get a distinction(I am obliged to- because I joined late and was awarded a pass in two of modules which have pulled my overall down.) To get a GPA of at least 3.3 I have to score a minimum of 70% in my dissertation.
As an international student, I am not confident that I will find the desired job or a fully-funded PhD in the UK with a GPA lesser than 3.3. I would like to be as efficient and creative as possible to impress my evaluators through my writing.
I am currently working on R programs on High throughput Screening derived RNAi screen data of colorectal cancer. I am trying my best, but I feel like I can work harder as I need the marks and I feel like I have no guidance and less material on my topic. I spoke to my supervisor about it but with the global pandemic all professors are busy designing the next academic year and I feel like he does not pay much attention and expects high of me.
Can somebody help me and give me advice that will help me go in the right direction?
Original post by pooja_s
I am a Masters student and I've been working on my 6000-word dissertation for the past month. I started out later than most of my coursemates. We have a data analytic research approach to this dissertation.
I am worried that I would not be able to finish the data analysis and write it all in less than two months and also get a distinction(I am obliged to- because I joined late and was awarded a pass in two of modules which have pulled my overall down.) To get a GPA of at least 3.3 I have to score a minimum of 70% in my dissertation.
As an international student, I am not confident that I will find the desired job or a fully-funded PhD in the UK with a GPA lesser than 3.3. I would like to be as efficient and creative as possible to impress my evaluators through my writing.
I am currently working on R programs on High throughput Screening derived RNAi screen data of colorectal cancer. I am trying my best, but I feel like I can work harder as I need the marks and I feel like I have no guidance and less material on my topic. I spoke to my supervisor about it but with the global pandemic all professors are busy designing the next academic year and I feel like he does not pay much attention and expects high of me.
Can somebody help me and give me advice that will help me go in the right direction?

Have you tried to draw up any plan of how to divide up the time. 6000 words in 2 months is trivial, it's two essays. You just need to apportion your time carefully between now and the submission date and stick to the timetable you set yourself.
Reply 2
h

Original post by threeportdrift
Have you tried to draw up any plan of how to divide up the time. 6000 words in 2 months is trivial, it's two essays. You just need to apportion your time carefully between now and the submission date and stick to the timetable you set yourself.

I have a plan on how I would divide my write up and how many words each section would have. My concern is the data analysis, I am finding it very difficult to make any progress. I have been working on raw data which requires sorting and quality control, without any examples available online (raw data is usually not published for public viewing), I am losing it.
Original post by pooja_s
h

I have a plan on how I would divide my write up and how many words each section would have. My concern is the data analysis, I am finding it very difficult to make any progress. I have been working on raw data which requires sorting and quality control, without any examples available online (raw data is usually not published for public viewing), I am losing it.

Have you searched on Google Scholar to see if papers describe how they have used a similar statistical technique? Have you contacted anyone else in other research groups for advice? Have you looked up something like Meet-Up to see if there is a local group that might be able to help? Have you looked for text books in different subjects but who might be using similar techniques?

Otherwise, you need to be very clear with your Supervisor that you need help - but you need to have exhausted all resources you can easily find first.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
Have you searched on Google Scholar to see if papers describe how they have used a similar statistical technique? Have you contacted anyone else in other research groups for advice? Have you looked up something like Meet-Up to see if there is a local group that might be able to help? Have you looked for text books in different subjects but who might be using similar techniques?

Otherwise, you need to be very clear with your Supervisor that you need help - but you need to have exhausted all resources you can easily find first.

This is really helpful, I did most of the options you mentioned but I did not try the local group on meet-up I will look it up. Thank you. I would still like some more advice from somebody else too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending