Turn on thread page Beta

Worried about AS choices watch

ReputationRep:
    I have just done my GCSEs and got 10 A*s and an A (in history).
    my current AS choices are:
    1. Maths
    2. Economics
    3. English Literature
    4. Chemistry/Physics
    5. German/French

My aspiration/dream is to go to Cambridge to do Economics (obviously i'll see how the A-level goes first though!)

I am leaning towards Chemistry over Physics (what do you think?), but im not sure which language to take. (Is German seen as a better language as Germany is more business orientated?)
    Would Further Maths also be something to consider? i was told that some universities don't even accept further maths, unless you're doing maths specifically.
    Please help!!

(Original post by Astrid92)
    I have just done my GCSEs and got 10 A*s and an A (in history).
    my current AS choices are:
    1. Maths
    2. Economics
    3. English Literature
    4. Chemistry/Physics
    5. German/French

My aspiration/dream is to go to Cambridge to do Economics (obviously i'll see how the A-level goes first though!)

I am leaning towards Chemistry over Physics (what do you think?), but im not sure which language to take. (Is German seen as a better language as Germany is more business orientated?)
    Would Further Maths also be something to consider? i was told that some universities don't even accept further maths, unless you're doing maths specifically.
    Please help!!
    Ok, well done with your results by the way.

That's a good range of subjects you've got there, when it comes down to the ones you're not sure about, I'd personally say chemistry over physics, i only say this because of the fact you're aspiring to go to Cambridge (Others please correct me if i'm wrong! ) but Cambridge may see it has a higher achievement than say, doing Physics, because it's "harder."
    As for the languages, which do you prefer/better at?

ReputationRep:
    don't do economics, you won't need it for anything at uni. do chemistry and french becuase i think they are easier and as respectable as german and physics (i saw it on bbc news that physics is the hardest subject). don't do 5 AS levels. there is no point at all!! do IB if you want to study a lot of subjects! do 4 and then 3/4 the year after.

^^Physics is now considered harder? ooh interesting!

Erm, to add to what i said, Further Maths is also a good thing to take into consideration, but of course make sure you're doing Maths at A Level as well! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i will definitely do maths at a-level because its my favourite subject.
    im probably equal at french and german, which doesn't really help, i was just wondering which is seen as better (if any).
    it says on the Cambridge website that economics A-level is seen as good-grounding(i can't remember the precise wording) for the degree course. it also says further maths is seen as useful by some colleges, but if i took further-maths, wouldn't my choices be a bit narrow and maths-based?

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Further Maths, Economics, <other>, <second other if you're insane> [Physics/History/good essay writing subjects go well]

^^

ReputationRep:
    If it were me, I would do
    Maths, Further maths, English literature, French, German
    This is because I think economics is one of those subjects where they prefer you not to have done the A-level, and having further maths and two languages would look very impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ffrann)
    If it were me, I would do
    Maths, Further maths, English literature, French, German
    This is because I think economics is one of those subjects where they prefer you not to have done the A-level, and having further maths and two languages would look very impressive.
    It's not. Economics is a well respected A-level, it's not like Law. Many universities like you to have Economics A-level if it's offered at your school (but it's by no means necessary).

ReputationRep:
    If you're stuck between a language and only want to do one, i advise German as less and less people take it at A level as it's considered more difficult of the two.

But doing both languages sounds good, hell - doing a language at all sounds good. But at the end of the day - you've got to pick what you enjoy the most otherwise you won't do as well. I find that the people who picked the subjects they enjoyed got into Oxbridge this year (of the people i know, lol) as they have so much passion for what they are studying (mainly languages to be fair).

Either way - you've done brilliantly at GCSE so far =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Draconis)
    It's not. Economics is a well respected A-level, it's not like Law. Many universities like you to have Economics A-level if it's offered at your school (but it's by no means necessary).
    Oh, sorry, my mistake!

ReputationRep:
    I have chosen to do:
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Economics
    Chemistry
    English Literature

Does anyone think this is a stupid selection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astrid92)
    I have chosen to do:
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Economics
    Chemistry
    English Literature

Does anyone think this is a stupid selection?
    I think it's great, but I would have chosen physics because it would go better with the maths as it's very maths-based.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.