Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am new to the student room so hello to all.

I am looking for some advice to help me make a decision.

I am currently doing an apprenticeship as an electrician and I am about to start my 3rd year. I decided to do this instead of University after a year out working, and decided to do this because i liked the idea of earning money while training.

But after 2 years at my current job the novelty has worn off and i really dont enjoy it, and generally the salary after qualifying is only £22000 (before tax), which i though was a great deal of money when at the time I was only earning £150 a week.

I am thinking about the idea of going to university after I have finished my apprenticeship, but face the problem of leaving a job, which i could make a career, to go back into education.

Also, I cant decide if I should do a degree in electrical engineering or electrical power systems or something similar to further what I will have or start again with something else, business or media because I dont enjoy being an electrician.

My (scottish higher) grades are

English - B
    Music - B
    Art - B
    Graphic Communication - C
    (Geography - D )

Another problem I face is that at the moment I am 20 years old, and will be 21(at least) by the time I finish training, which will make me a lot older than the majority of people starting at the same time as me.

Help please

Sorry its such a long post, haha.

Steven

ReputationRep:
    Go to uni, if you decide you don't enjoy it when you get there, you still have the experience and qualifications from your apprenticeship to fall back on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevengeelan)
    Hi,

I am currently doing an apprenticeship as an electrician and I am about to start my 3rd year. I decided to do this instead of University after a year out working, and decided to do this because i liked the idea of earning money while training.

But after 2 years at my current job the novelty has worn off and i really dont enjoy it, and generally the salary after qualifying is only £22000 (before tax), which i though was a great deal of money when at the time I was only earning £150 a week.

I am thinking about the idea of going to university after I have finished my apprenticeship, but face the problem of leaving a job, which i could make a career, to go back into education.

Also, I cant decide if I should do a degree in electrical engineering or electrical power systems or something similar to further what I will have or start again with something else, business or media because I dont enjoy being an electrician.

English - B
    Music - B
    Art - B
    (Geography - D )

Another problem I face is that at the moment I am 20 years old, and will be 21(at least) by the time I finish training, which will make me a lot older than the majority of people starting at the same time as me.

Help please

Steven
    If it's any help, I know several folk with worse grades than yours who got on apprenticeship programs in electrical engineering related stuff, then went to uni at over 30 years old, and are now chartered engineers which is alright pay.

But, if you don't enjoy engineering, don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    I left school and spent 3 years as a apprentice mechanic, Hated it so I self funded myself to NVQ LVL 3 personal training and Gym instructing. After doing this new job, I love it and want to progress to working with elite athletes, So im doing my A levels this year, Biology and Psychology, then going to university 2009, at 23.
    Its a good thing to work out what it is you really wan to do by working first, and Uni's look favourably on it.
    My advice is to sit down, Decide what you REALLY REALLY want to work as, Then go for it, You have a year so if you need to get extra A levels, then you can get them done, Getting out of uni at 24 with a degree, You will still be in your prime, It will be well worth it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevengeelan)
    Hi,

English - B
    Music - B
    Art - B
    (Geography - D )

Help please

Steven
    Electrical engineering is totally different to being an electrician. Do you have any maths or physics? If you don't like maths or physics, an engineering degreem probably isn't for you. If you do, it might be worth doing evening classes in those to get you up to speed.

Why are you wanting to go into education? Is it just because you hate your job and want a way out? Or is it that you want to learn? Or do you want a gateway to a decent job?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.