The Student Room Group

Year 10 Summer Schools + Internships

Hi,

I'm going into year 10. I've heard that there are some summer schools/ internship weeks that you should/ could do in year 10, and you'd have to apply quite a bit in advance. Does anyone know about any summer schools available for year 10, or been to any?
Reply 1
Hi, I know this is a bit different from what you asked for but Millfield's School in Somerset offers English Mentor Scholarships where you mentor international students on the Millfield's campus and you get to stay there, food and get to participate in activities with them as well. I was planning to apply this year but coronavirus happened. Here's the link: https://www.millfieldenterprises.com/english-mentors.php?sid=&sid=78f61cd029aec99b21eecc6764de7cda
Reply 2
Original post by lntrns
Hi, I know this is a bit different from what you asked for but Millfield's School in Somerset offers English Mentor Scholarships where you mentor international students on the Millfield's campus and you get to stay there, food and get to participate in activities with them as well. I was planning to apply this year but coronavirus happened. Here's the link: https://www.millfieldenterprises.com/english-mentors.php?sid=&sid=78f61cd029aec99b21eecc6764de7cda

Thanks, this looks great!
Look at universities as they tend to do some for lower years.
Reply 4
Original post by PetitePanda
Look at universities as they tend to do some for lower years.

Do you know of any?
Original post by Pasta18
Do you know of any?

Let me go on my computer as I can remember and look some for you up. Is there any course you would like to do at uni?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Let me go on my computer as I can remember and look some for you up. Is there any course you would like to do at uni?

Not sure yet. Definitely down the STEM path- probably either economics or engineering.
thanks i need this too
Original post by Pasta18
Not sure yet. Definitely down the STEM path- probably either economics or engineering.

Are you a state school student or meet any social mobility requirements (e.g.Free school meals)?
Reply 9
Are you a state school student or meet any social mobility requirements (e.g.Free school meals)?

no
Original post by Pasta18
no

Oh this will be hard. Are you willing to pay money for them or nah?
Reply 11
Oh this will be hard. Are you willing to pay money for them or nah?

Yes
Original post by Pasta18

Loughborough Uni do quite a few summer schools, not sure what they do for year 10, but I know they definitley do some for year 11/12 (for STEM)

Also have a look at the Engineering Development Trust (EDT) they run some engineering and maths summer schools
You can try Imperial Yr 10 Insights into Science and Engineering Summer School but you might not get a place since there's a priority over disadvantaged students

There's Imperial College London Global Summer School which is £4,965

KCL's Pre-University Summer School which is £2365

UEA Summer Schools

MISSION DISCOVERY SPACE & STEM SUMMER SCHOOL

Bucksmore Education Engineering Virtual School (2 weeks - £1825 or 3 day - £300 or 4 day - £425)

Reach Cambridge Engineering Spring/ Summer Programme - not free

Kent Year 10 Summer School

Year 10 ACE on Campus

Year 10 University Survival Guide

Experience Engineering Academy (2 weeks - £4795 or 4 weeks - £9,290)

The Engineering (or Economics) Summer School in Cambridge for 13-15-Year-Olds - £4595 (but you can enter a competition to get a 100% scholarship so it could be free or if you do well you can get a discount off)
Reply 14
You can try Imperial Yr 10 Insights into Science and Engineering Summer School but you might not get a place since there's a priority over disadvantaged students

There's Imperial College London Global Summer School which is £4,965

KCL's Pre-University Summer School which is £2365

UEA Summer Schools

MISSION DISCOVERY SPACE & STEM SUMMER SCHOOL

Bucksmore Education Engineering Virtual School (2 weeks - £1825 or 3 day - £300 or 4 day - £425)

Reach Cambridge Engineering Spring/ Summer Programme - not free

Kent Year 10 Summer School

Year 10 ACE on Campus

Year 10 University Survival Guide

Experience Engineering Academy (2 weeks - £4795 or 4 weeks - £9,290)

The Engineering (or Economics) Summer School in Cambridge for 13-15-Year-Olds - £4595 (but you can enter a competition to get a 100% scholarship so it could be free or if you do well you can get a discount off)

Thanks so much! Really helpful

Quick Reply

Latest