Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am about to start my AS's and I am wondering if you start viewing unis now or next year when I am doing my A2's. It's just I live in the NW and many unis I am interested are in and around London.

My mum seems to think we should go to the next lot of open days.

ReputationRep:
    As soon as you can, then you'll have more time to visit as many unis which you're interested in as possible.

I think I started going to open days the spring/summer of my AS year.

ReputationRep:
    You will be applying in your A2 year so I'd advise looking before then.

After your ASes you have time and most of the universities have open days then so thats probably the best time to look.

Having said that, the sooner you look the better

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how many unis you want to go to see, I went to a few open days in Year 12 with my school.

I start going to open days the end of Year 12 beginning of Year 13.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'd reccomend going to open days this academic year, or in the september of your A2 year, but you will want to start applying around that time anyway.

I visited most of mine this summer (starting around easter, leaving a gap during my exams, obviously!)

ReputationRep:
    I didn't bother going to see any and am very happy where I ended up.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I think you should start looking at the beginning of your A2 year. That's just my opinion although I suppose it couldn't hurt to start looking early. It's just that alot could change in a year, you might not even want to go to uni at all or you might want to go to one outside of London. Your choice

ReputationRep:
    lots of people dont bother going to see many.

i only went and saw a couple - none of them really changed any decision ive made about where to apply - but some people it helps a lot

ReputationRep:
    visit them now and also when your almost finished with AS level.

ReputationRep:
    I vote for Summer of your AS year, and then if you feel you haven't seen enough, then you can definitely see more in the autumn term of A2 before doing your application.
    That is, unless, you're rushing to do an Oxford/Cambridge application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bkcr20)
    I vote for Summer of your AS year, and then if you feel you haven't seen enough, then you can definitely see more in the autumn term of A2 before doing your application.
    That is, unless, you're rushing to do an Oxford/Cambridge application.
    No, no, no! Not Oxford or Cambridge!

OK so around this time next year.
    Thank sfor peoples answers.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know really, because you might change your ideas about want you want to do, over the 2 years. However, at my college, they seemed to leave it really late before advising us what to do! So I'd probably start looking from the middle of AS, or over the summer between AS and A2

ReputationRep:
    yeah about just after AS, in that summer or the start of A2. saying that i went and saw KCL just last week. it was definitely better for me to wait till AS, since i had completely changed my mind on what i wanted to do.

ReputationRep:
    I started viewing unis around April time, then broke for Exams (and uni exams) and viewed a lot in June and I'm planning to view a lot over the following weeks/months.

FYI, I am going into Year 13

ReputationRep:
    I did all of that in year 12, it makes year 13 so much easier. Most of the open days tend to be around march/april, june and september and it made applying to uni in October mucheasier because I knew where I wanted to go

I didn't go to open days, but I was allowed to visit a couple of the unis anytime I wanted (within term time, of course).

ReputationRep:
    Year 12.

ReputationRep:
    I started just before the last year of school. I'd say wait till you've done your AS's and have a fairly accurate feeling of how you've done before deciding which unis and courses to apply for.

ReputationRep:
    I visited mine after I applied, stupidly, around March time. Luckily I liked what I saw at one of them.

ReputationRep:
    My school told us to start thinking about possible choices in March of Year 12 so we had plenty of time find out the dates of open days for individual universities. We more or less had a rough idea of which five we would apply to by the end of the summer.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.