The Student Room Group

University Air Squadrons - Appearance and Rules?

If you join a UAS are you expected to dress and maintain yourself as if you were in the RAF?

For example if a male uni student had male hair, would he be expected to have it cut to the RAF standards?

(looking into engineering)
Original post by iDeano
If you join a UAS are you expected to dress and maintain yourself as if you were in the RAF?

For example if a male uni student had male hair, would he be expected to have it cut to the RAF standards?

You're expected to take care of your uniform - ensure it's ironed and shoes are polished, etc.

Hair shouldn't be touching the collar of your shirt as a male nor spill over onto your ears. Other than that it's pretty flexible on styles, though it'll be hidden under the hat.
Original post by Diplomatic
You're expected to take care of your uniform - ensure it's ironed and shoes are polished, etc.

Hair shouldn't be touching the collar of your shirt as a male nor spill over onto your ears. Other than that it's pretty flexible on styles, though it'll be hidden under the hat.

So it's basically like being at Air Cadets again?

I loved air cadets :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by iDeano
So it's basically like being at Air Cadets again?

I loved air cadets :biggrin:

Yes and no.

When you're in uniform you're expected to maintain those standards. But you're an officer cadet, you're looking at going on as an officer. You should be holding yourself to high standards.

It's not a continuation of cadets, it's a step up.
Original post by iDeano

You'd be in the RAF Volunteer Reserve which is just another branch of the RAF so the standards are no less than what the RAF ask. You follow the same dress regulations.

If you're thinking of applying, having high dress standards are important. Especially when you go for the interview, dress standards are one of the things the interview board look at. Although, the likes of your hair is something that can be altered later on down the line. I have heard many stories of that one guy who was on the interview with long hair and returned the next week with nothing and the staff thinking it was someone else!

Now another thing to consider is while your hair, if under a cap or beret isn't on show, if you choose to go flying your hair should be suitable that it fits into your helmet and you should ideally not be using any hair product to aide with that.
Reply 5
Original post by AscendingWings
I have heard many stories of that one guy who was on the interview with long hair and returned the next week with nothing and the staff thinking it was someone else!

This happened on mine, saw it with my own eyes.

Guy turned up for interview looking like the archetypal British rocker, with waist length hair.
Passed the interview well but was told about the hair standards.

Turned up next week with a perfectly regulation short break and sides.

Ended up going RAF Reg.
You'd be in the RAF Volunteer Reserve which is just another branch of the RAF so the standards are no less than what the RAF ask. You follow the same dress regulations.

If you're thinking of applying, having high dress standards are important. Especially when you go for the interview, dress standards are one of the things the interview board look at. Although, the likes of your hair is something that can be altered later on down the line. I have heard many stories of that one guy who was on the interview with long hair and returned the next week with nothing and the staff thinking it was someone else!

Now another thing to consider is while your hair, if under a cap or beret isn't on show, if you choose to go flying your hair should be suitable that it fits into your helmet and you should ideally not be using any hair product to aide with that.

Original post by Drewski
This happened on mine, saw it with my own eyes.

Guy turned up for interview looking like the archetypal British rocker, with waist length hair.
Passed the interview well but was told about the hair standards.

Turned up next week with a perfectly regulation short break and sides.

Ended up going RAF Reg.

I'm getting dental braces this month (which I realize precludes entry whilst they are needed)

My treatment will take 15 months. Can I apply direct to the RAF during the final months of my dental treatment? (as the application process takes a while anyway)
Original post by iDeano
I'm getting dental braces this month (which I realize precludes entry whilst they are needed)

My treatment will take 15 months. Can I apply direct to the RAF during the final months of my dental treatment? (as the application process takes a while anyway)

Don't quote me on it, but direct RAF applications process in a 6-9 month period and with COVID, certain roles are not currently a priority for direct entry, that said, you can still apply. With that in mind, after your treatment you should be ok as *fingers crossed* we'll have moved forward some in 15 months time.
Speak to your AFCO for a definitive answer. I've not sat through this myself but they'd be best to speak to for clarification.

UAS wise medically, there are fluctuations in what is and isn't allowed. Again, the UAS is something you could apply to and the military doctor will be able to make a decision whether or not you can join with or without braces. I'm not qualified to say.
Don't quote me on it, but direct RAF applications process in a 6-9 month period and with COVID, certain roles are not currently a priority for direct entry, that said, you can still apply. With that in mind, after your treatment you should be ok as *fingers crossed* we'll have moved forward some in 15 months time.
Speak to your AFCO for a definitive answer. I've not sat through this myself but they'd be best to speak to for clarification.

UAS wise medically, there are fluctuations in what is and isn't allowed. Again, the UAS is something you could apply to and the military doctor will be able to make a decision whether or not you can join with or without braces. I'm not qualified to say.

I may just take the university w/UAS route instead then.

That way I will have 4+ years from now to decide on a roll from the UAS bursary list.

Now to decide what degree to pursue :biggrin:
Original post by iDeano
I may just take the university w/UAS route instead then.

That way I will have 4+ years from now to decide on a roll from the UAS bursary list.

Now to decide what degree to pursue :biggrin:

The UAS has a unique application process that does't directly go through the AFCO currently. It's much quicker at the moment however it's also being trialled at the moment and will possibly change.

Taking a bursary is a great way to secure that and you'll go through selection while at university and you'll start IOT once you've finished studying. But be mindful that some bursaries require you to have a minimum of two years remaining at university but there are some final year bursaries issued for roles like engineering, I believe.

No specific degree required, but make sure it's something you want to do and you enjoy. It's a good idea to prepare for the worst in the event you're application is unsuccessful so also do something that will compliment your 'Plan B'. There is no guarantee you'll join the UAS while at uni, places are very competitive. You can find loads out by seeing the larger UAS threads on here or checking the UAS page on the RAF site. Associated universities are listed there too.
The UAS has a unique application process that does't directly go through the AFCO currently. It's much quicker at the moment however it's also being trialled at the moment and will possibly change.

Taking a bursary is a great way to secure that and you'll go through selection while at university and you'll start IOT once you've finished studying. But be mindful that some bursaries require you to have a minimum of two years remaining at university but there are some final year bursaries issued for roles like engineering, I believe.

No specific degree required, but make sure it's something you want to do and you enjoy. It's a good idea to prepare for the worst in the event you're application is unsuccessful so also do something that will compliment your 'Plan B'. There is no guarantee you'll join the UAS while at uni, places are very competitive. You can find loads out by seeing the larger UAS threads on here or checking the UAS page on the RAF site. Associated universities are listed there too.

I'm considering potentially electrical engineering - but it's going to be extremely challenging as I will have to take A Level maths in one year (this year) Also I would probably have to consider a foundation year first as I've been out of education for 5 years. (meaning I will graduate in 5 years from now)

Weighing up E Eng, Business, Science etc...
Original post by iDeano
I'm considering potentially electrical engineering - but it's going to be extremely challenging as I will have to take A Level maths in one year (this year) Also I would probably have to consider a foundation year first as I've been out of education for 5 years. (meaning I will graduate in 5 years from now)

Weighing up E Eng, Business, Science etc...

A foundation year may well be wise, no shame in that. You may also not need to sit A-Level maths if you choose a foundation year as they often take students from varying backgrounds and bring them up to speed. Understanding the content could be useful, but the qualification may not be required. I'll leave you to research.

Lots of university courses to choose from with varying years of study. A 3 year BEng with a foundation year will probably be your shortest time so 4 years. Also considering that, be mindful of the upper age limit on the RAF, 26 years of age for pilot. I don't know or need to know your age but you can find all that information out on the RAF site.
Original post by iDeano
Also I would probably have to consider a foundation year first as I've been out of education for 5 years.

The foundation year might make you ineligible for the UAS. You'll have to check, but I think you need to in the full degree before you can be accepted.
Original post by Drewski
The foundation year might make you ineligible for the UAS. You'll have to check, but I think you need to in the full degree before you can be accepted.

Correct, you need to be in year one of study. You can't join on the foundation year (year 0) but you can join it the following on your year 1.
Reply 14
Original post by iDeano

"An update from the President of the Medical Board states that candidates may apply for the RAF whilst undergoing active orthodontic care" (source Leeds AFCO, Jan 19). The application process can take up to a year and you should then be able to delay starting IOT until your treatment is completed, but as has been said speak to an AFCO for a definitive answer.

You can join the UAS with braces/orthodontic treatment.
Just come off my UAS best time of my life, there’s a lot of stuff that goes on that you just can’t post online but to nail the interview try this.

What are your hobbies
Your achievements
Your responsibilities (past and present)
Employment
(Show leadership, teamwork, commitment, sports teams)

Your motivation for joining the RAF
Role of the RAF and NATO
Research ESUAS
what do ESUAS do- attract intelligent and ambitious undergraduate students to the Role of the RAF and it’s operations, provide adventurous training, flying training, learning about Airpower and offer bursary’s for pilots
What do ESUAS fly- Grob Tutor at RAF Leuchars
Name a current RAF operation- Op azotize
What’s air power- the ability to project government influence across the world through HEIGHT SPEED AND REACH
Different RAF stations and what flies from them- Lossiemouth Typhoon+Posiden, Waddington RC-135 + Sentinel, Marham F-35, Odiham Chinook, Benson Puma, Valley Hawk
What are the different trades- logistics, pilot, regiment, engineering, intelligence, air traffic control

Current affairs inside UK
Current affairs in world

If you want to join ESUAS these are the likely questions you’d get in the interview.

POLITICS (written 2018)
What’s happening in the world
What’s happening in Britain
What’s happening in Iraq/Syria
What are places Britain should be looking out at
What dangers Russia presents

PERSONAL
your education
Extracurricular activities (list Creative,Active, and volunteering activities and know how they influenced and changed your outlook on life). d it was adjusting to life afterwards
They love sport and absolutely kill for Charity work.

AIR FORCE STUFF
Know the main bases and what aircraft they operate (I’ll send a list of this)
The different sections (Logistics, flying branch, Engineering, air traffic control, regiment, intelligence)
What current operations are in play (Op Azotize etc)
Future aircraft (Tempest fighter, F-35)
What is air Power (again LEARN THIS height-speed-reach)
Reply 16
Hi Eng, sorry for being picky, but if you're going to give RAF interview advice to prospective UAS candidates, probably best to make sure it's accurate. Your list of stations and resident aircraft is not entirely up to date eg Waddo is particularly light. And the definition of airpower is not current, if it ever was. Can't remember altitude ever entering the equation, as anything above sea level constitutes height, so how would that variable affect the application of power? There is a current definition on the RAF website. I'd go with that at interview, as long as a candidate understands what it means rather than parroting it.

Other than that. Great. A rudimentary understanding of geo-politics would be useful to know where current and future flash points exist - and these need to be up to date and relevant to UK foreign policy.

After that, see you in the bar.

Chin, chin.
I think that 3Eng is correct when they say that height is one of the fundamental characteristics of AirPower.

Height/Reach/Speed + Agility = Ubiquity (JDP 0-30)

Quick Reply

Latest