HELP!!! Been offered a pass degree but my graduate scheme requires a 2:2???

Watch
Dean__1809
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
In light of COVID 19 many of us students may be right and royally screwed.......

In my scenario I am due to start a graduate scheme in September which requires me to have my results prior to the start date.

My problem: my course still hasn't had it last exam (practical - hands on) and as you can understand it isn't happening at the moment with nothing being said by lecturers or student support etc...

A week or so ago I enquired about skipping the exam and student support offered to option for my BSc (Hons) to become a pass degree. After reading up on pass degrees I believe it wouldn't fit the requirements of my graduate scheme, as they state that I need a 2:2 minimum in any degree. To my knowledge a pass is lower than a third....

It's a really time sensitive matter and I've had nothing from any senior staff or my lecturers after countless emails and attempted calls.

I understand this is pretty long winded but any help from you guys would be awesome!!!

Pass degree worth it? Or just wait it out....risking loosing my graduate scheme place either way?
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
no, a pass degree is not worth it.
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What has the company said about your graduate scheme?
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Dean__1809)
In light of COVID 19 many of us students may be right and royally screwed.......

In my scenario I am due to start a graduate scheme in September which requires me to have my results prior to the start date.

My problem: my course still hasn't had it last exam (practical - hands on) and as you can understand it isn't happening at the moment with nothing being said by lecturers or student support etc...

A week or so ago I enquired about skipping the exam and student support offered to option for my BSc (Hons) to become a pass degree. After reading up on pass degrees I believe it wouldn't fit the requirements of my graduate scheme, as they state that I need a 2:2 minimum in any degree. To my knowledge a pass is lower than a third....

It's a really time sensitive matter and I've had nothing from any senior staff or my lecturers after countless emails and attempted calls.

I understand this is pretty long winded but any help from you guys would be awesome!!!

Pass degree worth it? Or just wait it out....risking loosing my graduate scheme place either way?
Why would you settle for a “pass”? And why can’t you just get in contact with the graduate scheme that due to covid your results have been delayed? Surely they would be understanding about it during these unprecedented times....
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Don't opt for a pass degree - have you spoken to your grad scheme?
Dean__1809
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student-95)
What has the company said about your graduate scheme?
Basically all they have said is that they need it before my start in September. All grads for the scheme are set to start on that date. Nothing as of yet with anything else
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago

what graduate scheme is it that it allows a 2:2 ??
Dean__1809
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Don't opt for a pass degree - have you spoken to your grad scheme?
I have and the seem pretty insistent on the September start...the exam is literally the only thing in the way
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Basically all they have said is that they need it before my start in September. All grads for the scheme are set to start on that date. Nothing as of yet with anything else
But have you told them about your situation?
Dean__1809
Rep:
?
I have told them and all they said is about having a 2:2 minimum and having results by September. I'm just waiting on things to be put into place for the exam to happen. The annoying part is as much as I am contacting people I'm not receiving any feedback about my questions etc. That's why I've sought out the advice of others
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have and the seem pretty insistent on the September start...the exam is literally the only thing in the way
A pass degree is no good to you so you'll have to wait it out

Are you on track for at least a 2:2 otherwise? Many people are waiting for results and the scheme might have to be flexible
Dean__1809
Rep:
?
A pass degree is no good to you so you'll have to wait it out

Are you on track for at least a 2:2 otherwise? Many people are waiting for results and the scheme might have to be flexible
I'm on for an upper 2:1... The exam is one assessment of two in the module, the coursework I already got 65% in. The only reason I have to take the exam in order to pass is because it's a PRSB requirement, basically is an of assessment safety and whether I am safe to work etc. (I do Sports Therapy so lots of physical therapy on people's backs etc)

I have 340 credits....just this exam finishes everything and allows me to get 360 credits for the BA Hons.

I'll continue with what many of you guys have said and see what I can get the graduate scheme to do
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm on for an upper 2:1... The exam is one assessment of two in the module, the coursework I already got 65% in. The only reason I have to take the exam in order to pass is because it's a PRSB requirement, basically is an of assessment safety and whether I am safe to work etc. (I do Sports Therapy so lots of physical therapy on people's backs etc)

I have 340 credits....just this exam finishes everything and allows me to get 360 credits for the BA Hons.

I'll continue with what many of you guys have said and see what I can get the graduate scheme to do
I know it's no comfort but you aren't the only one waiting on results - good luck
Dean__1809
Rep:
?
I know it's no comfort but you aren't the only one waiting on results - good luck
Thank you
Fermion.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

I wouldn’t settle for a pass no matter what this grad scheme especially if you are on track for a 2:1. Wait it out. You’ll find plenty more opportunities.
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't know much about degrees, but I agree with Fermion. There will be plenty of grad schemes to apply for in the future. You only get one undergraduate degree final classification/grade. You'll have that for the rest of your life and won't ever be able to change it. Don't throw all your hard work and potential away at this late stage.
Helloworld_95
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have you discussed it with HR?

If the accreditation isn't relevant to the grad scheme then I imagine they'll be lenient and say they'll accept you based upon the rest of your results, then you can take the assessment later, maybe they'll still require you to get a 2.2 overall but you'll be on a probationary period during that time.

If the accreditation is relevant then either other people due to start the grad scheme will be in the same situation, or at least other applicants will, so they will delay the starting date until people can start.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, a plain pass is technically worse then a third. If you are on track for a 2.2 or higher I would speak to your employer. Explain you have 340/360 credits in the bag and due to Covid-19 need to just finish this one exam.

They may have some flexibility and let you delay your start or start provisionally & take a days annual leave to sit the exam.

Would be pretty ruthless to pull the offer in the circumstances.

I would also keep at your uni, could they do a skype assessment due to the exceptional circumstances beyond everyone's control.
Last edited by mnot; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors are most important to you when considering a university in Clearing?

How well the uni/course ranks (7)
17.95%
Location (7)
17.95%
How effective their covid-19 policies are (1)
2.56%
What courses they offer (8)
20.51%
Course content (7)
17.95%
Social life options (4)
10.26%
Accommodation options (3)
7.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
5.13%

Watched Threads