The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Does Accounting pay well in the UK?

On the Gov website it says that starting accounta earn 18k, after taking this would be 16k. Can any ACCOUNTANTS explain to me if the salary is actually this low. So overall does accounting pay well because eit doesnt seem like it does
That's probably for trainee accountants.
Original post by zaidm1137
On the Gov website it says that starting accounta earn 18k, after taking this would be 16k. Can any ACCOUNTANTS explain to me if the salary is actually this low. So overall does accounting pay well because eit doesnt seem like it does

It’s not 18k. Graduate salary is at least 30k which increases if you become chartered.
Reply 3
Why does the Gov website say 18k then? Should we not trust the government?

Can you link this government website?

How do you plan on starting? As others have said that will be for trainees which isn't bad at all.

Probably the price for an apprenticeship trainee starting out, hopefully outside of London! Lol.. Not for someone who went to do accounting at degree level and has multiple paper's achieved. (accounting paper exemptions, are what you gain when u do accounting at uni). So that you can earn more because employers 1) know your not an idiot... 2) have to pay less for your training...

Whereas the people who start out on 18K have no exemptions, cost more and are riskier. Usually only having A levels.
I have friends who are qualified chartered accountants, and they earn very good salaries, well in excess of the 18k, mentioned.
accountants are paid between 40k and 60k at the company i work at
Accountancy in my experience is like football. Everyone has this impression footballers make a huge amount of money, which is true, but only the small percentage at the higher pro leagues, the majority of footballers earn little for the level of work thet have to put in. The same is true with accounting, most accountants in my experience have pretty poor salaries and are expected to work very long hours certain times of the month and year for no overtime. It is a poorly paid profession for the level of work you are expected to do for I would estimate 75% of accountants.

Yes, there are those on here who can and will get 200k jobs in 5 years fresh out of uni but they are a very small percentage of accountants!

Latest