Strict parents

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Please tell me I’m not the only one who has super strict parents. Like I’m not allowed my phone upstairs and can’t go on my phone past 9:30pm, not allowed out with my friends and my screen time is legit 2 hours throughout the whole day and they say I stay on it a lot.....

Any advice
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
how old are you?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Please tell me I’m not the only one who has super strict parents. Like I’m not allowed my phone upstairs and can’t go on my phone past 9:30pm, not allowed out with my friends and my screen time is legit 2 hours throughout the whole day and they say I stay on it a lot.....

Any advice
My parents were stricter when I was younger, but not so much anymore. How old are you? The acceptability of this depends on your age.
Kutie Karen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yeah how old are you before we comment.
Anonymous #1
how old are you?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kutie Karen)
yeah how old are you before we comment.
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
My parents were stricter when I was younger, but not so much anymore. How old are you? The acceptability of this depends on your age.
16 but I feel like at least on weekends I can sleep a bit later
RaA64
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are you happy or unhappy? If unhappy I’d say just tell them that you’re 16 and turning into an adult and that it’s yours responsibility to control how long you spend on your phone because they won’t always be there for you and that you need to make your own decisions.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by RaA64)
Are you happy or unhappy? If unhappy I’d say just tell them that you’re 16 and turning into an adult and that it’s yours responsibility to control how long you spend on your phone because they won’t always be there for you and that you need to make your own decisions.
I’m unhappy but I’m scared to tell them 😔 like I hardly get to do or go anywhere and I feel left out w my friends
RaA64
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m unhappy but I’m scared to tell them 😔 like I hardly get to do or go anywhere and I feel left out w my friends
Are they the type of parents to listen to you? Can you have an open conversation with them?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by RaA64)
Are they the type of parents to listen to you? Can you have an open conversation with them?
I try but it turns to lecture all they care about is my education because they want me to be a doctor I don’t even want to be a doctor 😭
RaA64
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I try but it turns to lecture all they care about is my education because they want me to be a doctor I don’t even want to be a doctor 😭
I feel you. I’m Asian too (presuming you’re Asian). Are you going in year 12 next year? Maybe like say you’ll do some a level revision if you’re doing them then you can do whatever later
Vexper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Take control of your own life - they're trying to live your life for you. It's not a case of 'what's best for you'. Becoming a Doctor requires a lot of hard work and motivation, and once in role, even more so to stick at it. In the long-term it would be better for your mental health to make a stand for yourself rather than be forced onto a career path that's not for you. This is exceptionally poor parenting by the way and unfortunately it is common. That's not even touching upon the other restrictions they are imposing on your life.

Hold a proper conversation with them - make it very clear you are unhappy. Try and resolve it yourself, they're actually stunting your growth/development by caging you up to do nothing but study towards being a doctor.

Contact NSPCC if you feel like you are being controlled and have no say.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Vexper)
Take control of your own life - they're trying to live your life for you. It's not a case of 'what's best for you'. Becoming a Doctor requires a lot of hard work and motivation, and once in role, even more so to stick at it. In the long-term it would be better for your mental health to make a stand for yourself rather than be forced onto a career path that's not for you. This is exceptionally poor parenting by the way and unfortunately it is common. That's not even touching upon the other restrictions they are imposing on your life.

Hold a proper conversation with them - make it very clear you are unhappy. Try and resolve it yourself, they're actually stunting your growth/development by caging you up to do nothing but study towards being a doctor.

Contact NSPCC if you feel like you are being controlled and have no say.
I’ll try thank you so much for the advice xx
Anonymous #1
(Original post by RaA64)
I feel you. I’m Asian too (presuming you’re Asian). Are you going in year 12 next year? Maybe like say you’ll do some a level revision if you’re doing them then you can do whatever later
I’m African but yeah still the same i can’t wait to move out 😭😭
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Any advice
Do what they say.

You actually having a phone is generous in their part.

2 hours per day on a phone is also very generous. It would be better for your development if you cut it down to 5 minutes per day maximum.

During non coronavirus times, you see your friends for several hourse per day, 5 days a week at school.

It's common for promising 16 year olds to go off the rails because they fall in with the wrong set of friends and drop out of school.

When you are 18 and have left home for uni, or for work, you can do what you want. Although if you continue most of the good habits your parents have forced on you, you'll do well. The only big habit to change would be to have a very active social life on top of taking your studies or work seriously.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
Do what they say.

You actually having a phone is generous in their part.

2 hours per day on a phone is also very generous. It would be better for your development if you cut it down to 5 minutes per day maximum.

During non coronavirus times, you see your friends for several hourse per day, 5 days a week at school.

It's common for promising 16 year olds to go off the rails because they fall in with the wrong set of friends and drop out of school.

When you are 18 and have left home for uni, or for work, you can do what you want. Although if you continue most of the good habits your parents have forced on you, you'll do well. The only big habit to change would be to have a very active social life on top of taking your studies or work seriously.
I asked if I can go out and they said not til it 20 💀
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I asked if I can go out and they said not til it 20 💀
20:00 hours? 8 PM?

When you are 18 and are living away from the parental home, you can legally, morally, ethically and physically go out at any time that you want and stay out as long as you want.

And please do exercise your right to do this - in due course - as it will be good for your development as a person.

You have the makings of a great adult if you can do what your parents tell you to now, you can cut your phone usage down to 5 minutes per day, and you move away from home after your A levels and then have an active social life on top of a professional studying and working life.

The day that I left home to go to uni was the joint happiest of my life. I think that day will be the same for you.
In the meantime enjoy the next 2 years as much as you can and work like a dog for your A levels.
gelato1014
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thats nice asf Im not accessed to my phone the whole school year 👀😢
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would tell them you do not want to be a doctor. Only 1 in 4 potential medics get accepted onto courses and you really need to do something you are interested in.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
20:00 hours? 8 PM?

When you are 18 and are living away from the parental home, you can legally, morally, ethically and physically go out at any time that you want and stay out as long as you want.

And please do exercise your right to do this - in due course - as it will be good for your development as a person.

You have the makings of a great adult if you can do what your parents tell you to now, you can cut your phone usage down to 5 minutes per day, and you move away from home after your A levels and then have an active social life on top of a professional studying and working life.

The day that I left home to go to uni was the joint happiest of my life. I think that day will be the same for you.
In the meantime enjoy the next 2 years as much as you can and work like a dog for your A levels.
They want me to go to uni here I won’t be able to leave 😔
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (9)
20%
Better than expected (10)
22.22%
Worse than expected (26)
57.78%

Watched Threads