The Student Room Group

go to this thread if you have a problem with your self confidence

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Thank you, your words are kind and now I feel a little embarassed that I decided to comment haha. Tbqh I wasn't especially upset by the teasing, it was more "banter" but it solidified the belief that I was short and that that was a bad thing. This thinking is pretty hard to shift.

Do not feel embarrassed at all! It is how you feel and that makes it valid. It is crazy how much men are body shamed, yet there is not enough awareness on how bad it is; as opposed to body shaming women where there is more awareness on how it is not acceptable.

Yeah, I completely get that, sometimes it can be worse when it is banter, imo. Again, I assure you it is not as bad as you think at all. Especially with your height. Empirically speaking, not just saying this to make you feel better. But I understand how anyway it would still be hard to shift that thinking. :console:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 21
I feel that whatever I write for essays is never good enough. I have a 2:1 degree but for my MA, I literally cannot win

try to think about the good things in it and avoid thinking about the bad in it
Reply 22
I feel that whatever I write for essays is never good enough. I have a 2:1 degree but for my MA, I literally cannot win

try to think about the good things in it and avoid thinking about the bad in it

I feel that I’m ugly and I no one will ever want to be friends with me.

i used to think the same thing then i realized i should be more positive normally other people dont think you look the way you think you look
Reply 23
Even when I feel confident, I feel guilty for feeling good whilst others dont.

if you see some one who dosnt feel confident try to make them feel good about themselfs
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by macy_m
As soon as I think I look nice for a second I start seeing all the little things I hate 😭

try to ignore the little things there is probably big things that make you look nice:smile:
Reply 25
my nose is big and bent

alot of people like big and bold noses
Reply 26
Interesting idea.

I'm very self-concious about being short (5'8" male), was consistently teased as a kid and teen etc. Now I try to avoid situations where my height is apparent e.g. when being photographed or when I am stood in front of a crowd with many eyes on me. I'm also short on confidence when talking to girls.

you are you there is nothing you can change about yourself but you can change your attitude with your height and be positive :u:
Reply 27
if people call you bad names those people are toxic and nothing they say is true you can ignore those people and be positive about yourself:h:
Reply 28
Original post by stereotypeasian
@Breazyblue
hey,
how would deal with rejection , in general and with stress
:biggrin:

if people reject you its not your fault with stress i recommend that you find time in each day when you can calm down and find time for yourself away from the world:biggrin:
Reply 29
Original post by saintsophia124
Id like a A bodyguard. however it's expensive to hire one.

I'd like to move forward in life. Often I want to know, what's next. It's like maybe I want a mentor

I'd like to be left alone. Too many people in the big city. But sometimes you wanna just blend in and avoid pedophiles and giant squids.

find a place where you can be alone for a bit to think about your problems and soulutions for them:u:
Reply 30
When I was 17 I had a job in the Kensington Hilton in Holland Park.
When I was going home at 11 pm I saw a girl I really wanted to talk to on the platform but she got on a train going in the other direction.
On impulse I jumped on and calculated I’d have to talk to her by Liverpool Street or else I’d miss my last train home.
Unfortunately I was too shy and ended up in Epping Forest at gone midnight and having to pay 30% of my weekly wages to get a cab home.

So my advice is if you’re too shy at least get off the train. Money is important too.🦦
(edited 3 years ago)
Interesting idea.

I'm very self-concious about being short (5'8" male), was consistently teased as a kid and teen etc. Now I try to avoid situations where my height is apparent e.g. when being photographed or when I am stood in front of a crowd with many eyes on me. I'm also short on confidence when talking to girls.

Lol same I’m 5”6 and have never had a relationship I can’t talk to any girl I like
Original post by Breazyblue
alot of people like big and bold noses

but it literally rotates, its no where near straight im so upset
I just feel like I'm never going to find anybody who I click with: who I can relate to, and talk to without feeling shy, awkward, and inadequate. I'm eighteen, and it feels like when I go to Uni I'll have to box myself into the drinking, partying, outgoing type in order to be accepted. Everyone else in my life seems to have found people that they can connect with, I just hope that I will one day :frown:
I just feel like I'm never going to find anybody who I click with: who I can relate to, and talk to without feeling shy, awkward, and inadequate. I'm eighteen, and it feels like when I go to Uni I'll have to box myself into the drinking, partying, outgoing type in order to be accepted. Everyone else in my life seems to have found people that they can connect with, I just hope that I will one day :frown:

Again not OP, and sorry OP for also weighing in, but this is not true at all. The great thing about uni is there are just so many people that you are more likely to "find your tribe" there. I know a lot of people in my uni that are not the outgoing, drinking, and partying type. It is not like high school at all where you need to fit a certain "box". That is why you hear a lot about people "finding themselves" at uni. Yes, it is much easier to meet people parting and drinking and so many uni students do that. But at the same time, as I said, there is just such a wonderful variety of people that are into different things. SO many people I know that were just a copy in highschool of others come back from uni fully embracing themselves because they find people that accept the. They are also sometimes the awkward and not outgoing type, so that is not even necessary for you to achieve this. But by joining clubs and societies you are interested in you will easily find similar people to you. There is someone for everyone in uni, you just need to know where to look.

But at the same time, do not feel disheartened if this is not the case. My first semester at uni was a pretty lonely experience. I then stopped worrying about it and started learning how to have fun with myself and love myself. The benefit of having no friends for a certain period of time is that you get to focus on yourself. I started going to the gym every day (helps a lot with MH and confidence), reading up on things, working my ass off, and reading some things for self-development. Taking myself out on nice excursions and dates as weird as it sounds. I absolutely loved it, I never learned how to enjoy being alone. I am grateful for that semester because I have really grown as a person spending my time alone and learning to enjoy it. After that semester, I started actively making conversations with people and going to societies and it was really easy to find friends that way. Do not sweat it. :hugs:
I feel like this is a great example thread for the person who I was chatting to in a previous Breazyblue thread as to why confidence important for people to have 🙂
I feel like I’ll never be good enough, not only for society’s standards but also not for my own standards
I feel like I'll never be happy and that I'll never discover what I want to do with my life. I'm scared that I'm going to fail in life and live my life full of regrets for making the wrong decisions while I'm young. I feel like getting older is going to be terrible because I don't know what to do.
Original post by Synergy_
Again not OP, and sorry OP for also weighing in, but this is not true at all. The great thing about uni is there are just so many people that you are more likely to "find your tribe" there. I know a lot of people in my uni that are not the outgoing, drinking, and partying type. It is not like high school at all where you need to fit a certain "box". That is why you hear a lot about people "finding themselves" at uni. Yes, it is much easier to meet people parting and drinking and so many uni students do that. But at the same time, as I said, there is just such a wonderful variety of people that are into different things. SO many people I know that were just a copy in highschool of others come back from uni fully embracing themselves because they find people that accept the. They are also sometimes the awkward and not outgoing type, so that is not even necessary for you to achieve this. But by joining clubs and societies you are interested in you will easily find similar people to you. There is someone for everyone in uni, you just need to know where to look.

But at the same time, do not feel disheartened if this is not the case. My first semester at uni was a pretty lonely experience. I then stopped worrying about it and started learning how to have fun with myself and love myself. The benefit of having no friends for a certain period of time is that you get to focus on yourself. I started going to the gym every day (helps a lot with MH and confidence), reading up on things, working my ass off, and reading some things for self-development. Taking myself out on nice excursions and dates as weird as it sounds. I absolutely loved it, I never learned how to enjoy being alone. I am grateful for that semester because I have really grown as a person spending my time alone and learning to enjoy it. After that semester, I started actively making conversations with people and going to societies and it was really easy to find friends that way. Do not sweat it. :hugs:

Thank you very much for your reply, that's very kind of you
I’m 25 years old. Never had girlfriend. No girl has ever approached me or found me attractive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending