Do you think I need a phone when I'm in sixth form/college

Watch
imaanviolin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm starting college and at the moment don't have my own phone or laptop, firstly; do you think a laptop and phone is essential or not and secondly; why? I don't know how much it would help me but if I have a strong enough argument then my parents might allow it...I need your help!
AM.TSR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't think a laptop's essential since your college should have a computer lab/library which you could use. It certainly does help though for homework and independent research at home. Maybe ask for a basic phone, even a Nokia brick so you can call or text if you need to.
Brutal Bee
Badges: 22
Report 4 weeks ago
What subjects will you be studying? If you are doing any with practical elements, you will need your phone to take photos of experiments and things like that. Also, in class, sometimes you will have to research something on your phone. Honestly, if money isn't the issue, you really should buy yourself a phone.
imaanviolin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Brutal Bee)
What subjects will you be studying? If you are doing any with practical elements, you will need your phone to take photos of experiments and things like that. Also, in class, sometimes you will have to research something on your phone. Honestly, if money isn't the issue, you really should buy yourself a phone.
Thx, will be taking music latin physics and music tech so probably will need one for physics.
Brutal Bee
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by imaanviolin)
Thx, will be taking music latin physics and music tech so probably will need one for physics.
Yes, I think it's best that you buy one now.
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AM.TSR)
I don't think a laptop's essential since your college should have a computer lab/library which you could use. It certainly does help though for homework and independent research at home. Maybe ask for a basic phone, even a Nokia brick so you can call or text if you need to.
You definitely need a laptop so you can do your homework, type up assignments and submit them, research etc at home. Plus the phone for social reasons more than anything. I understand their reticence in letting you have a phone they are a distraction but to not have one will make you the odd one out.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm starting college and at the moment don't have my own phone or laptop, firstly; do you think a laptop and phone is essential or not and secondly; why? I don't know how much it would help me but if I have a strong enough argument then my parents might allow it...I need your help!
Imo get a cheap phone (to contact your parents, to take photos, check HW etc) and if possible make sure you have access to a PC.
Ensoetre
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How come you don’t have a phone
Bumble18
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes. So far during my 2 years of college, we used phones for research pretty much every lesson and to take a picture of the board with info re homework/dates/long pieces of text. Very handy as the lesson could run to the very end rather than end 10 mins early so people could write it down.
imaanviolin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ensoetre)
How come you don’t have a phone
Oh my parents just hate the fact that I have access to technology...distracts people, useless, nobody needs it, when they where my age they didn't need a phone etc etc etc etc but what strikes me is that they both have £400+ phones and are always on social media. At the moment, I sometimes use this smartphone but it's not MY phone, as they are VERY persistently telling me, it is called THE phone. Classic parents who don't understand our generation really.
imaanviolin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bumble18)
Yes. So far during my 2 years of college, we used phones for research pretty much every lesson and to take a picture of the board with info re homework/dates/long pieces of text. Very handy as the lesson could run to the very end rather than end 10 mins early so people could write it down.
Yh ok that does sound like a must have then...I'll see what I can do
imaanviolin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scotney)
You definitely need a laptop so you can do your homework, type up assignments and submit them, research etc at home. Plus the phone for social reasons more than anything. I understand their reticence in letting you have a phone they are a distraction but to not have one will make you the odd one out.
Yh at the moment I'm home educated so Ive not really been around the school atmosphere so I wouldn't know but they are really keen to not let me have one it's just getting ridiculous now. Maybe when I'm 18 I'll be able to buy myself one 🙄 heaven forbid I do anything with a phone and technology 😂
Nautilus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You will probably find that all of your homework is set online, and you will NEED the use of a laptop to access it, complete it and submit it, especially if the current situation continues.

I'm surprised that your parents don't realise this. Don't they realise that modern technology is what is keeping the country going at the moment, with so many people working from home?

And not having a phone, how do you keep in touch with friends?
imaanviolin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nautilus)
You will probably find that all of your homework is set online, and you will NEED the use of a laptop to access it, complete it and submit it, especially if the current situation continues.

I'm surprised that your parents don't realise this. Don't they realise that modern technology is what is keeping the country going at the moment, with so many people working from home?

And not having a phone, how do you keep in touch with friends?
I have access to a smartphone that all of my siblings are also allowed to use...while I have had to wait until I was 15 to have this privilege my siblings stroll in at 7 yrs and that's totally fine, like wtf!!!🙄🙄 So yh, before I was 15 I didn't have a social life full stop but now I use WhatsApp etc. It's just that this smartphone is not my phone, it is THE phone so I don't know if my parents will let me take it to college. My parents do realise what technology does for them seeing that they both have £400+ phones but they just think I shouldn't have one. I don't understand it personally because all my friends say I'm so mature and responsible so I don't get what their problems are with it. If they have a problem they can tell me and I'll literally say ok I won't do xxx again. Like come on mum!!!🤣🤣
Nautilus
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why have you been home educated? Are your parents very religious?

If your parents are reticent about you having a laptop it might help to get one of your tutors on side. You will be very disadvantaged without access to one. It seems like they don't understand how education is delivered outside the home environment these days.
imaanviolin
Rep:
?

If your parents are reticent about you having a laptop it might help to get one of your tutors on side. You will be very disadvantaged without access to one. It seems like they don't understand how education is delivered outside the home environment these days.
Nah it's just that everything has to be done my mum's way or no way kinda thing. Do you mean one of my new tutors for when I start college? And no, they do understand about education they just think that they know better and have such a deep desire to make sure nothing I do goes with the flow that they'll make decisions that are actually worse than just following the trend. I actually do have a laptop, but again, it doesn't belong to me so I'm not sure how they'd feel about me taking it to college as if I own it (although they did get it for my birthday). What I think is quite interesting is quite how protective they are over their own electronic devices 🧐🧐
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

TBH I can see why, it is a pretty recent shift. When I was at school in 90's the idea that a kid would bring expensive electronics to school was utterly hilarious, the kid would be detained and parents contacted to explain themselves. you simply did NOT let kids walk around with stuff like that.
imaanviolin
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
TBH I can see why, it is a pretty recent shift. When I was at school in 90's the idea that a kid would bring expensive electronics to school was utterly hilarious, the kid would be detained and parents contacted to explain themselves. you simply did NOT let kids walk around with stuff like that.
Unfortunately nobody's in the 90s anymore tho!!
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Unfortunately nobody's in the 90s anymore tho!!
Yeah no sht. People, including parents still rely on their own experiences though, it's all they have. I'm not saying they're right, just that I can see why they might hold that opinion.
Isinglass
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do you have access to a shared PC / laptop for school work? How do you manage the technical aspects of e.g. Music GCSE without the relevant software? Or are there boards which don't require it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (201)
39.26%
Take autumn exams (155)
30.27%
Look for a job (17)
3.32%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.1%
Take a year out (88)
17.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
5.86%

Watched Threads