What is it with council homes/estates?

Watch
Paige26xx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’ve grew up in a council house and my family have always been hard working, the houses aren’t exactly a palace, but my auntie bought hers and she’s had lots of work done to it but they are always decorated lovely and kept clean. The neighbours just keep themselves to themselves and aren’t benefit scrounges. Very down to earth actually. What is with the snobbery about them? Yes, they are cheaper than private. Yes, there’s a reputation for benefit scrounges, but I’ve never experienced this experience? I didn’t know there was a snobby view like this actually. They are more secure than private anyway aren’t they?! Just curious.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
People love to judge others, some like to demonize others to justify political beliefs that will cause harm on those at the poor end of the social scale. Human beings are very tribal as well.

Dont worry about what others think, it doesn't matter and often bares no resemblance on reality.
Nabu123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Honestly we should have way more council houses, private rentals have gotten out of control. We just live in a capitalist society that demonizes anything that government helps with.
Just my opinion
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thatcher's grand plan to turn renting labour voters into home owning Tory voters worked somewhat from her point of view, but the decision to ban councils from building more houses with the proceeds of the sales was disastrous for LA stock. That combined with Blair's open door policy for Europeans in 96, most of who were renters, lead to a massive supply and demand imbalance that young Brits are paying the price for now.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's a tad disappointing that most local authority housing stock wasn't built with aesthetics in mind. There's a million places in Britain where old workers' cottages and so on look fantastic, but a lot of council housing is just straightforwardly ugly.

In relation to the actual question, it's just snobbery. Not much use bothering with it.
DanB1991
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's a mixture of reasons. Generally council estates were split between owners and council renters after Thatchers reforms. Eventually the home owners moved on and many turned into private rentals.

This meant those unable to get a council house or too poor to buy a property would often be in these typical "council estate" area's alongside those also too poor to purchase their council home. This in effect ghettoised council estates.

Previously you had council houses occupied by all strata of the working class. Upper working class and home owners tend to have more pride in their homes, thus the whole keeping up appearances joke. Renters on average move every 3-4 years so don't give the externals that much attention and without their neighbours adding the social pressure to 'keep up appearances' you generally see the remaining council renters not taking as much pride and things in those area's start to become run down.

You find the same thing in majority owned streets vs majority rented streets never mind council estates and often it can change street to street quite drastically.

The council also can't afford to maintain them as well as they should which adds to the shabbiness. People always forget the whole reason Thatcher let councils sell their houses and stopped redevelopment was due to the majority of councils couldn't afford to maintain their housing stock.

(Original post by L i b)
It's a tad disappointing that most local authority housing stock wasn't built with aesthetics in mind. There's a million places in Britain where old workers' cottages and so on look fantastic, but a lot of council housing is just straightforwardly ugly.

In relation to the actual question, it's just snobbery. Not much use bothering with it.
Pre-war council houses are actually not too shabby! It's mostly post war when they got cheaper and cheaper that this started happening. Never mind how much smaller council houses became when compared to those built in the 1920's and 30's.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (6)
4.35%
Confident (14)
10.14%
Indifferent (15)
10.87%
Unsure (30)
21.74%
Worried (73)
52.9%

Watched Threads