Why do people hype up a levels so much ?

Watch
lhh2003
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I remember when I was starting year 12 and I was scared sh**less for how hard they were going to be. It was definitely tough at times, but nowhere even close to how bad it was made out to be. Yes, sometimes I had to work quite late, but if Im honest its been less stressful than GCSEs.

I was scared sh**less for the year 13 content too and am well into it now. The step up seems to be a little higher this time, but it's not as bad as people made it out to be.

If nobody will break this trend of being frightened by the olders and eventually "getting payback" by doing it to the new comers then I will gladly do it myself..

New guys, you don't need to be afraid <3
username5322502
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because it's a major step up?

Some people will be getting D/E's and U's for the first time in their lives and by making the jump seem big, they're more inclined to work harder. 12->13 is just more content/a continuation but 11->12 is a whole different spec/book.

For GCSE's people are built from years 7-11(KS3-4) so the transition is smooth. Year 12 (KS5) comes around like a truck and if you fall behind in year 12 then rip...
itscourtchicks
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by astayuno)

Some people will be getting D/E's and U's for the first time in their lives and by making the jump seem big, they're more inclined to work harder. 12->13 is just more content/a continuation but 11->12 is a whole different spec/book.

For GCSE's people are built from years 7-11(KS3-4) so the transition is smooth. Year 12 (KS5) comes around like a truck and if you fall behind in year 12 then rip...
Exactly what my whole year tried saying to teachers. We’d spent soooo long prepping for GCSEs that when time comes to do them, we don’t find them as difficult as we thought. But then we get yeeted off the swings into a whole different play park which we’ve never seen before.

Ofc A Levels won’t be so hard if you keep your head down and study and complete tour work on time.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lhh2003)
I remember when I was starting year 12 and I was scared sh**less for how hard they were going to be. It was definitely tough at times, but nowhere even close to how bad it was made out to be. Yes, sometimes I had to work quite late, but if Im honest its been less stressful than GCSEs.

I was scared sh**less for the year 13 content too and am well into it now. The step up seems to be a little higher this time, but it's not as bad as people made it out to be.

If nobody will break this trend of being frightened by the olders and eventually "getting payback" by doing it to the new comers then I will gladly do it myself..

Nah GCSEs are soo easy compared to A-levels I wish I could go back.
mila679
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Fr? That makes me feel better I’m acc so scared to start
username2908878
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I thought they were hyped until I got to doing my masters and my brain nearly exploded out my skull lol
lhh2003
Rep:
?

No, it isn't. It comes like a truck because people didn't work that hard at GCSEs as you CAN get away with that at GCSEs and still pass. Everyone who I know who got 7/8/9s are getting As and Bs consistently. Nothing has changed, except I have more free time and get to delve into juicier concepts which is fine for me as I enjoy the subjects I chose.
lhh2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1st superstar)
Nah GCSEs are soo easy compared to A-levels I wish I could go back.
9 GCSEs, many of which you hate vs 3 A levels that you enjoy ?...

Easy.
krunker555
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
well in all honesty it isn't very difficult to get A's in A levels, what's very difficult is getting A stars and that's probably why it's soo hyped. Getting A stars in A levels is really hard
lhh2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by krunker555)
well in all honesty it isn't very difficult to get A's in A levels, what's very difficult is getting A stars and that's probably why it's soo hyped. Getting A stars in A levels is really hard
I'm in year 12 still. Also, elaborate on why it's so "hard" . Why do people like to plant that seed in others heads man ?.. If you are studying for something everyday for 2 years, multiple hours a day, its probably quite hard but not impossible like everyone makes out. Unjaded jade got A*A*A* whilst running a YouTube channel with 200K at the time..
username5322502
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, it isn't. It comes like a truck because people didn't work that hard at GCSEs as you CAN get away with that at GCSEs and still pass. Everyone who I know who got 7/8/9s are getting As and Bs consistently. Nothing has changed, except I have more free time and get to delve into juicier concepts which is fine for me as I enjoy the subjects I chose.
stop making assumptions i worked hard at gcse's and a levels; you haven't even started year 13 kiddo so use that free time to get ahead in A2 rather than trying to persuade people that year 12 is easy.
neko no basu
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
Unpopular opinion: I found A levels easier than GCSEs
lhh2003
Rep:
?
stop making assumptions i worked hard at gcse's and a levels; you haven't even started year 13 kiddo so use that free time to get ahead in A2 rather than trying to persuade people that year 12 is easy.
I have started year 13 content though, it is tough at times, but I'll say it again because you didn't read it the first time I said it, its not that bad. Its not "I will worry 3 months before I start because somebody on TSR said so" bad.

This girl is about 14 and did her physics and maths a levels in one year :
https://www.quora.com/How-should-I-s...dge-of-Physics

It's only a jump if you give into the hype that there's a jump, just like when people used to post memes about how burdening GCSEs were.
krunker555
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm in year 12 still. Also, elaborate on why it's so "hard" . Why do people like to plant that seed in others heads man ?.. If you are studying for something everyday for 2 years, multiple hours a day, its probably quite hard but not impossible like everyone makes out. Unjaded jade got A*A*A* whilst running a YouTube channel with 200K at the time..
you're in year 12, that's why. I never found year 12 difficult, but year 13... that's where the pain starts, As is a joke. Because of the more difficult questions that come up in the exam. To hit the A star you need to get all of the easy to medium difficulty questions correct while getting a bit more than half of the difficult questions right. And then you have all the stupid mistakes you make all the time while having the really high time-intensity. And the time they give is very little. Especially for a level computer science, it's a sprint to answer the questions as fast as you can accurately. Plus the grade boundaries to get an A star is ridiculously high for most subjects, meaning there is very little space for error. I've almost always gotten A's and above in all of my exams, but getting the A star was random, sometimes I got it sometimes I didn't. And you say "studying for something everyday for 2 years, multiple hours a day, its probably quite hard but not impossible" you're not reading properly, no one said it's impossible but it's very difficult. I myself was predicted 3 A stars and I studied soo much, there were times where I studied all day and stayed up till the next day at 5 am in the morning because I wasn't happy with the marks I was getting in my exams so I kept trying again. It's down to chance too, you just have to study as hard as you can and make it possible for you to get an A star then you might get it or you might not. And you say Unjaded jade got 3 A stars, yes she did but she didn't expect to get 3 A stars, she knew herself that this was very difficult and might not get it. She was crying after her exams lmao. When she got her results she was screaming, why? because getting 3 A stars is very very hard. And who said she didn't use the youtube channel as a break from her studies? she's known to be someone who is extremely productive
Last edited by krunker555; 4 weeks ago
username5322502
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have started year 13 content though, it is tough at times, but I'll say it again because you didn't read it the first time I said it, its not that bad. Its not "I will worry 3 months before I start because somebody on TSR said so" bad.

This girl is about 14 and did her physics and maths a levels in one year :
https://www.quora.com/How-should-I-s...dge-of-Physics

It's only a jump if you give into the hype that there's a jump, just like when people used to post memes about how burdening GCSEs were.
i said year 13 as in the actual year, not year 13 content. And carry on doing it so you start the the year off on a high and yes that girl was home schooled whilst you follow the curriculum in an institution where everyone's taught at the same pace.

I don't get it, do you want to tell people A levels are easy or something?
lhh2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by krunker555)
you're in year 12, that's why. I never found year 12 difficult, but year 13... that's where the pain starts, As is a joke. Because of the more difficult questions that come up in the exam. To hit the A star you need to get all of the easy to medium difficulty questions correct while getting a bit more than half of the difficult questions right. And then you have all the stupid mistakes you make all the time while having the really high time-intensity. And the time they give is very little. Especially for a level computer science, it's a sprint to answer the questions as fast as you can accurately. Plus the grade boundaries to get an A star is ridiculously high for most subjects, meaning there is very little space for error. I've almost always gotten A's in all of my exams, but getting the A star was random, sometimes I got it sometimes I didn't. And you say "studying for something everyday for 2 years, multiple hours a day, its probably quite hard but not impossible" you're not reading properly, no one said it's impossible but it's very difficult. I myself was predicted 3 A stars and I studied soo much, there were times where I studied all day and stayed up till the next day at 5 am in the morning because I wasn't happy with the marks I was getting in my exams so I kept trying again. It's down to chance too, you just have to study as hard as you can and make it possible for you to get an A star then you might get it or you might not. And you say Unjaded jade got 3 A stars, yes she did but she didn't expect to get 3 A stars, she knew herself that this was very difficult and might not get it. She was crying after her exams lmao. When she got her results she was screaming, why? because getting 3 A stars is very very hard. And who said she didn't use the youtube channel as a break from her studies? she's known to be someone who is extremely productive
How is revising till 5 am productive revision ? And tbf I agree with you about the intensity of the exams but for chemistry the grade boundaries are about 65% for an A* and for maths about 75%.
lhh2003
Rep:
?
i said year 13 as in the actual year, not year 13 content. And carry on doing it so you start the the year off on a high and yes that girl was home schooled whilst you follow the curriculum in an institution where everyone's taught at the same pace.

I don't get it, do you want to tell people A levels are easy or something?
Lol if you read about the girl on her dad's blog she just used practise questions , Khan Academy and had an online tutor twice a week. So although she had a lot more time, she was doing it off of her own back. And don't get saying she's some anomaly when she was in set 3 in maths according to her dad up until year 9..

And also I wouldn't say easy, but I would say doable. Nothing to lose sleep over, which in the typical TSR fashion, people who have done a levels enjoy seeing. I remember I posted on here about 2 years ago for support as I thought id failed. typical TSR , "I'm sorry mate , you'll get a 5 AT BEST"..
Came out with an 8 in the subject when I took it in year 10.

No point in stressing people out
DarthRoar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
1. Be cautious about thinking that A-Levels aren't that hard. You haven't done the exams. I've known people who have acted and thought just like you, and then been utterly blindsided by the exams. Luckily, due to corona you won't have to do the exams!

2. A-Level hardness depends on your perspective. A moderately intelligent person can do well by putting a fair amount of work in, and having time left over to live life. Someone less gifted will have to put their damn soul into it just in order to keep up. It's hard work, but if you're expecting concentration-camp levels of exertion, obviously it won't be like that.

3. Studying in the run up to my A-Level exams was the hardest I've ever worked in my life, and I did very well because of it. I haven't ever worked that hard in university, and I can't imagine why I would need to work that hard for that long a period ever again in my life.
Last edited by DarthRoar; 4 weeks ago
lhh2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by DarthRoar)
1. Be cautious about thinking that A-Levels aren't that hard. You haven't done the exams. I've known people who have acted and thought just like you, and then been utterly blindsided by the exams. Luckily, due to corona you won't have to do the exams!

2. A-Level hardness depends on your perspective. A moderately intelligent person can do well by putting a fair amount of work in, and having time left over to live life. Someone less gifted will have to put their damn soul into it just in order to keep up.

3. Studying in the run up to my A-Level exams was the hardest I've ever worked in my life, and I did very well because of it. I haven't ever worked that hard in university, and I can't imagine why I would need to work that hard for that long a period ever again in my life.
That 3rd point is what I am trying to get at. If you work your ass off, which assuming you like the subjects you took shouldn't be much of a problem apart from the end when you just naturally need a break, then it will be an enjoyable challenge, but not "soul destroying" which people make out.
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago

Because you dont speak for everyone and many struggle to make the transition.
It is also stressful to revise and wait for the results on which a lot depends.

Your idea about payback seems an immature take on things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (254)
39.69%
Take autumn exams (192)
30%
Look for a job (21)
3.28%
Consider an apprenticeship (25)
3.91%
Take a year out (110)
17.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (38)
5.94%

Watched Threads