Banks campaign to hire more black workers isn't going well...

Watch
username1625799
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
What are your thoughts on banks planning on hiring more black workers and even tethering bonuses to the number of black workers they hire to promote this?
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Patently ridiculous. Especially as half of them were only kept afloat by public funds in the first place. Surely such institutions should be attempting to hire based on competence, not melanin content?
username1625799
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I agree and believe in meritocracy too but what would the solution be to deal with this problem. It would probably have to start with better opportunities earlier on in their career such as university allocation and even to an extent school allocation. Or some other solution? Or leave it as it is?
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by leobrave)
I agree and believe in meritocracy too but what would the solution be to deal with this problem. It would probably have to start with better opportunities earlier on in their career such as university allocation and even to an extent school allocation. Or some other solution? Or leave it as it is?
It really depends if you see a problem or not. Given i don't believe in being given jobs simply by virtue of race i don't see one.
However, i assume you're alluding to the problem of not insubstantial numbers of minorities being trapped into the poverty cycle? In which case whilst yes something needs to be done i don't believe discrimination is the answer (given job hunting is, by definition, a zero sum game) prejudicing someone in favour of someone else doesnt appear to do much more than move the problem.
Just my opinion
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Patently ridiculous. Especially as half of them were only kept afloat by public funds in the first place. Surely such institutions should be attempting to hire based on competence, not melanin content?
This.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
This ^^
illegaltobepoor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
But Mark Carney and Andrew Bailey where made BOE chairman and all they did was print money. A 14 year old could of done a better job.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by illegaltobepoor)
But Mark Carney and Andrew Bailey where made BOE chairman and all they did was print money. A 14 year old could of done a better job.
Whats the BoE got to do with this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (35)
18.23%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
27.6%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (104)
54.17%

Watched Threads