The Student Room Group

I want to give up on art

I’ve been drawing consistently for almost a decade and I really feel as though I haven’t made as much progress as I should have. It’s not just my imagination either because I have joined a lot of competitions on social media - which by the way, are not even very competitive - and lose almost every time. It really, really dampens my confidence and even makes me feel really embarrassed about my works.

However, it’s not just that. Fundamentally, I just don’t really... like my art? There are some works that I really feel as though I could draw, but some reason I only respect and admire the art when it’s drawn by another artist. If I were to draw Them, I would literally regard it as trash. This is why I spend a lot of my salary on commissioning other artists to draw things. I suppose my logic now is, if I can pay other people to draw things that I’ll love, why pursue art myself...?

I know it’s a bad mindset, but I’ve been feeling really down in the dumps. Any artists, or just anyone at all can give me advice?
Reply 1
It sounds like your not pushing yourself hard enough.
Your art isnt good enough? Make it better, and work as hard as you can on that.
Reply 2
I feel like you may not be doing it for the right reason. I like to do art for the final product, but I think, if you don't like the outcome, then you should like the process. Come up with your own art style which you find fun. Or just doodle.. But most of all, who says it has to be "art"? It can be what ever you want it to be, just don't do it if it hurts you. Do it for the fun. Fun is good :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been drawing consistently for almost a decade and I really feel as though I haven’t made as much progress as I should have. It’s not just my imagination either because I have joined a lot of competitions on social media - which by the way, are not even very competitive - and lose almost every time. It really, really dampens my confidence and even makes me feel really embarrassed about my works.

However, it’s not just that. Fundamentally, I just don’t really... like my art? There are some works that I really feel as though I could draw, but some reason I only respect and admire the art when it’s drawn by another artist. If I were to draw Them, I would literally regard it as trash. This is why I spend a lot of my salary on commissioning other artists to draw things. I suppose my logic now is, if I can pay other people to draw things that I’ll love, why pursue art myself...?

I know it’s a bad mindset, but I’ve been feeling really down in the dumps. Any artists, or just anyone at all can give me advice?

There are plenty of ways of enjoying art that don't involve making it yourself - supporting other artists is just as important, whether by admiring or commissioning.
Being a great artist takes a lot of work and talent. If you're not satisfied with your work that doesn't mean you should give up, but it might mean it's not your career in life. That's OK. You can still enjoy playing football, even if you aren't a premier division footballer.
Maybe take a break from art at the moment. The same thing happened to me and creative writing, you either cant think of what to write or when you do you absolutely hate it. Try a new hobby for a while. But then come back to art eventually.
if you don't feel like doing it anymore then don't. ultimately it's your decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending