GillisRobbieWGS
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The University of Sheffield offers two Law-related courses that I really like: Law or Law with French Law. The website says the typical offers are AAA (or AAB with an A in my EPQ) for Law and AAB (or ABB with a B in my EPQ) for Law with French Law. Is it sensible to use one of my UCAS spaces and apply twice to the same university if I really like it there? Out of all the universities I'm considering (other than Cambridge but I'm becoming more and more aware as this process goes on that the chances of me getting even an interview are 20% at best) Sheffield is my favourite because of the course structure and location, the only complaint I have is that the other universities I'm considering at the moment all have better taekwondo teams!
What do you think? Should I use a UCAS space and apply twice to Sheffield or no?
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you like both courses more than any other courses on offer, then go for it. Just be aware that you'll have to cater to both types of course in your personal statement.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by GillisRobbieWGS)
The University of Sheffield offers two Law-related courses that I really like: Law or Law with French Law. The website says the typical offers are AAA (or AAB with an A in my EPQ) for Law and AAB (or ABB with a B in my EPQ) for Law with French Law. Is it sensible to use one of my UCAS spaces and apply twice to the same university if I really like it there? Out of all the universities I'm considering (other than Cambridge but I'm becoming more and more aware as this process goes on that the chances of me getting even an interview are 20% at best) Sheffield is my favourite because of the course structure and location, the only complaint I have is that the other universities I'm considering at the moment all have better taekwondo teams!
What do you think? Should I use a UCAS space and apply twice to Sheffield or no?
It's fine to do that but just be aware that if you are predicted AAA or higher, it is likely that you will get offers from both courses. Do you actually want to do Law with French (would you both Firm and Insure Sheffield if you didn't get into Cambridge?) or would you prefer to Firm and Insure 2 straight Law courses? If the latter, it would probably be better to choose 5 straight Law courses. And as redmeercat says, applying to one Law with French course means that you would have to address that on your personal statement by talking about French quite a bit.

The other thing to consider is that Law with Languages courses are more likely to come up in Clearing than straight Law as they always find it harder to recruit good students with language skills. Law with French was in Clearing st Sheffield last year and probably will be this year too. No guarantees about next year of course.
Johnny ~
Badges: 12
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by GillisRobbieWGS)
What you're doing would only make sense* for competitive universities like LSE. Sheffield is not competitive. They will likely accept you with your grades. Use your other option to apply to a more competitive university.

*assuming that any university is happy to consider you for two courses to begin with, which it may not be
Last edited by Johnny ~; 4 weeks ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Johnny ~)
What you're doing only makes sense for competitive universities like LSE. Sheffield is not competitive. They will likely accept you with your grades. Use your other option to apply to a more competitive university.
Nah, LSE would just look at which course the personal statement is actually aimed towards and reject them for the other.
Johnny ~
Badges: 12
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Nah, LSE would just look at which course the personal statement is actually aimed towards and reject them for the other.
What I meant was that, on the OP's own logic, what they're doing doesn't make sense. I edited my post to make that clearer.
GillisRobbieWGS
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
It's fine to do that but just be aware that if you are predicted AAA or higher, it is likely that you will get offers from both courses. Do you actually want to do Law with French (would you both Firm and Insure Sheffield if you didn't get into Cambridge?) or would you prefer to Firm and Insure 2 straight Law courses? If the latter, it would probably be better to choose 5 straight Law courses. And as redmeercat says, applying to one Law with French course means that you would have to address that on your personal statement by talking about French quite a bit.

The other thing to consider is that Law with Languages courses are more likely to come up in Clearing than straight Law as they always find it harder to recruit good students with language skills. Law with French was in Clearing st Sheffield last year and probably will be this year too. No guarantees about next year of course.
I don't think I would firm and insurance both places at Sheffield if I got offers for both courses, I think it's better to have offers from two places. I'm still deciding whether to do law with french, I'm sort of waiting to do my UCAS exams and see how my results are. I'm also thinking of applying to Cardiff which has an offer of AAB for regular law. My careers advisor said its better to do straight law rather than worry about a language too.
If the law with language courses are in clearing and I miss my grades or offers etc I would go through clearing.
Thank you very much!
caittyacke
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, i’m also interested in the law with french law course, however sheffield aren’t running it for 2021 entry. I asked a few weeks ago and 2020 is the last year it is running.
GillisRobbieWGS
Rep:
?
(Original post by caittyacke)
Hi, i’m also interested in the law with french law course, however sheffield aren’t running it for 2021 entry. I asked a few weeks ago and 2020 is the last year it is running.
Oh no! Gutting!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (87)
25.29%
Better than expected (73)
21.22%
Worse than expected (184)
53.49%

Watched Threads