pixelated19
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Why do university rankings matter? Is it something I should be worried about? I really couldn't care less at the moment about league tables
Tinders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Tbh league rankings are such nonsense. The data is broadly quite objective and can be manipulated to make some universities look much better than they actually are. I would consider league tables, but only as a minor factor and they are certainly not something to be worried about.
pixelated19
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Tinders)
Tbh league rankings are such nonsense. The data is broadly quite objective and can be manipulated to make some universities look much better than they actually are. I would consider league tables, but only as a minor factor and they are certainly not something to be worried about.
Is it something everyone except me is concerned about? Does it affect your chance of getting employed? I'd rather just go to a uni close to home
Tinders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by pixelated19)
Is it something everyone except me is concerned about? Does it affect your chance of getting employed? I'd rather just go to a uni close to home
To be honest in most lines of work the university you attend doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Of course going to Oxford is going to give you much better graduate prospects than some far off university, but in general terms of employability, the rankings themselves don't matter.
StarLinyx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It depends on which university you are referring to, and how it may be regarded by employers generally, as well as within the industry you wish to work in. As a general rule, aim for a traditional university. Employers will generally not distinguish between, say, East Anglia and Warwick, as long as you have earned at least a 2.1 degree. If you drop to a 2.2 degree, then the prestige of the university is going to matter more. This is also very true within academia, incase you wish to go for a PhD or Masters. Going to a Russell Group university will be viewed as a bonus, but nothing more. Only when you get to the level of Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial and UCL does the prestige factor count a bit more in your favour.
jhhuck1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Tinders)
To be honest in most lines of work the university you attend doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Of course going to Oxford is going to give you much better graduate prospects than some far off university, but in general terms of employability, the rankings themselves don't matter.
It depends on the type of job you're interested in and the subject you choose. A archivist job is going to go to the person with the history degree from leeds beckett rather than the economics degree from Cambridge. I've applied for architecture and its much more important the quality of work you produce while in university to put in your portfolio once you graduate than the university itself, although some universities will teach in a way that makes this work better, or more appealing to employers.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Why do university rankings matter? Is it something I should be worried about? I really couldn't care less at the moment about league tables
They don't "matter" - they're a useful collated set of information about a subject which will give you an idea of some of the strengths and weaknesses of different universities for your course/subject. You can see the same data in more detail on the Discover Uni (government) website to get a really good feel for the strengths and weaknesses for each course when you're making your choices. There's a lot more to choosing the right course than the data but understanding it means you can make your choices with your eyes open and not be surprised by crappy teaching or feedback or high drop out rates later on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (54)
24.43%
Unhappy (59)
26.7%
Conflicted (108)
48.87%

Watched Threads