Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know this isnt quite the right area but it is worth a try

Is it possible to join the Royal Auxiliary Air Force for a year as an RAF Regiment Gunner between the end of sixth form and the beginning of University?

• Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    It would be possible to join, but as far as I know, there is no gap year scheme, so you couldn't do much more than was scheduled for those that only did the one evening a week programme, ie you couldn't do it full time.

There used to be formal gap year schemes (in the Army as well) but I think they became more trouble than they were worth, too much training and not enough return from people in a year.

You could ring up a unit and ask, but I doubt it would work.

ReputationRep:
    It might work , but not very likely.

You would need to contact individual units and put the idea to them. There are plenty of contact details on the RAF Reserves web site.

It would depend on a CO being willing to give the idea a go.

They would need to have courses lined up which you could do in a reasonable time scale. If the unit didnt have anything for you to do in between courses then you would not have anything to do and therefore not get paid.

Realistically the only way they can find you a full time job for a year is to deploy you on operations which means Afghanistan or Iraq.

There is nothing to stop you joining the RAuxAF anyway and getting your training done as quickly as you can. Given most people ony do two weeks full time training in a year, if you had plenty of time to spare they could probably get you on your courses quite quickly.

If there was then an opportunity to deploy on operations you could ask to go, and if not just carrry on being a part time, and get a civvy job until you start university. You could then carry on membership of the RAuxAF whilst at University so long as you were in reasonable travel distance from the unit.

Its worth going on a couple of unit open evenings and talking to them about the possibilities.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.