Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering what the printing facilities at Essex are like.

I'm trying to decide whether it will be worth my while buying a printer.

I've thought of a couple of pros to having one but I can also think of a con, the costs of printer ink.

So what are the facilites like? Do you think it would be better to buy my own printer to have in my room?

ReputationRep:
    study law your have a few essay,
    you have to pay for the printing, like 5p a sheet, maybe
    never used them, i have a printer just cos i had one lol handly for printing out notes and that
    it says cheap having one but then you have to pay for ink lol
    printers all over the place
    its a mixed thing some say yes, other say no

ReputationRep:
    but the printer can be refilled (inkjet is easier to refill, than laser) and you can buy a small bottle of black printer ink

ReputationRep:
    If you buy an inkjet they tend to be messy, the quality diminishes after a while, the quality isn't that good in the first place, and they are just generally clunky, loud and slow.

I recently bought a black and white lazer printer for about £45 (samsung lm-2010r) and it prints very quickly, quietly, and the quality is perfect. I would recommend getting one of these (presuming you don't really need colour printout, in which case you could always use the uni for that).

ReputationRep:
    I have a printer so that i dont have to wait when trying to print off a essay that i left to last minute along with everyone else, plus if any of your notes (ie for science) are in colour its a lot cheaper if you have your own printer. Depending on how much you print off it may be cheaper than using the uni one, plus you can print anytime you want without waiting.

I'm still on the same ink that i got with the printer in my first year, (at the end of my second now) and will probably need to replace it soon (the black ink that is.)

ReputationRep:
    Oh another thing, the last inket I had used a little ink everytime it turned on (meaning you couldn't turn it off if you didn't want to waste ink!) so that the colour ran out without me every really using it. And to add to this cheek, it wouldnt print black and white documents if there were no colour cartridges in! Based on that, if you are gonna get an inket, don't buy Epson (scamming gits).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflexive)
    printer for about £45 (samsung lm-2010r) and it prints very quickly, quietly, and the quality is perfect. .
    Yes, is really good...but very be very careful with the refill
    (I have the same type and i broke it after few refills, but i printed 5-6000 pages at least with it).

ReputationRep:
    Eek I hope mine doesn't, suddenly doesn't seem like such good a good idea if it's liable to break. Sayin that if it happens within a year I'll send it back.

ReputationRep:
    yes, but i lost the guarantee, because i refilled myself...and this kind of printer is not for refilling at home
    but is a good job to have one (i used it to print a lot of documents and tutorials, etc)
    Lately, i am trying only to borrow or read on my laptop (i went on "green").

ReputationRep:
    Yea that makes it easier. I do prefer reading something in hardcopy though if I want to really concentrate it, that way you can make notes on it and you don't have the distraction and noise of the computer. Plus there's something about reading something more tangible that just seems to make it better suited to reading more closely

ReputationRep:
    I know what you say...it is more comfortable, but we need to adapt continuously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflexive)
    Based on that, if you are gonna get an inket, don't buy Epson (scamming gits).
    I won't be we have an Epson at home and the ink is ridiculously expensive and as you said when you turn it on it uses ink, if you ever have to clean the ink heads it uses ink so I wil not be getting an Epson!

I've decided to get a printer as in my eyes it will be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier as my course is manily essay based.

Decided on an inkjet HP one that's on special at Argos (yes, I'm a cheapstake lol).

It's this one:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/6704283.htm

Going to go get it tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetlovinchick2k1)
    It's this one:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/6704283.htm

Going to go get it tomorrow.
    It is a good printer, but i would choose a canon

Anyway, from what i can see on that website, the prices for cartridges is very high (more expensive than some printers).

The original cartridge is not full of ink, when you buy a new printer...but i guess that you can handle with the refill at home (it is easy to make, with a syringe).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by traxhill)
    It is a good printer, but i would choose a canon

Anyway, from what i can see on that website, the prices for cartridges is very high (more expensive than some printers).

The original cartridge is not full of ink, when you buy a new printer...but i guess that you can handle with the refill at home (it is easy to make, with a syringe).
    I've found a site where you can get them cheap, so going to get them from there.

ReputationRep:
    I've found a site where you can get them cheap, so going to get them from there.
    take a look for Canon Pixma - IP1500

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by traxhill)
    take a look for Canon Pixma - IP1500
    Do you mean look for cartridges for it?

What cartridges does it take?

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean look for cartridges for it?

What cartridges does it take?
    No...i wanted to say, to take a look at that printer
    It is easier to make a refill for it (a refill kit is about 7GBP).

ReputationRep:
    i bought a hp all in one - printer/scanner/photocopier for 25 pounds. Less hassle for me, instead of trying to go and print it elsewhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by couture_kid)
    i bought a hp all in one - printer/scanner/photocopier for 25 pounds. Less hassle for me, instead of trying to go and print it elsewhere!
    How much do you pay for a black refill?

ReputationRep:
    I took my printer with me and one large ink cartridge lasted me the whole time. It was really handy if I was running late for a deadline plus it is free to print as much as you like whereas the uni printers cost 5p a sheet

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.