Does an E count as a pass in AS?

Just curious! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Uhh, I think so...

ReputationRep:
    E and above count as a pass

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

Although some people like to think it's not (mainly those who do a lot better i.e. AAA), it is.

ReputationRep:
    Technically, yes. But only technically.

ReputationRep:
    E gets you ucas points. ie a pass.

ReputationRep:
    yes a E counts
    you got 20 point for it at A/s level and 40 at A2

pass grades are A-E
    and thing lower then a E is a U

ReputationRep:
    Yeah technically. I wouldn't exactly aim for one though :P

ReputationRep:
    Technically yes, but in reality no one is going to give it a great deal of respect.

ReputationRep:
    yup but it only signals your not in the bottom 3% of candidates so its hardly something to shout about.

ReputationRep:
    Some universities (specifically UCL) specify a pass in an additional AS, for which an E will suffice...

(Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Technically yes, but in reality no one is going to give it a great deal of respect.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    yes but no

in theory - yes; in practice - no

ReputationRep:
    I got an E in General Studies... i passed, so yes. Damn compulsory subjects, I hated it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Nonsense)
    yes but no

in theory - yes; in practice - no
    Sorry but how would you know, you've only just done your GCSE's.

And loads and loads of people get E's (even if it's only one subject at AS or whatever) so it's not as rare as you think.

In practice, yep, you can write it down on CV's (you don't have to put the grades down you know!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky.fm)
    In practice, yep, you can write it down on CV's (you don't have to put the grades down you know!)
    Thats only really possible if they are all Ds and Es
    if you do that its fine and what you should do although it still looks like a set of Es

if you put the grade for 2 or 3 and not for one it makes you look sloppy as if you forgot by accident to put it in.

then again if you have three good grades I wouldnt put the bad one on the CV

ReputationRep:
    It's a pass but it's not exactly worth anything

ReputationRep:
    It will be of very limited use if applying to any half decent uni, but if you were to go straight into a job, you'd put "A levels in...." on your CV which still looks good, regardless of the grade.

EDIT - also, as far as I know, its not like GCSEs where you have to get a grade A-C to be taken seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky.fm)
    Sorry but how would you know, you've only just done your GCSE's.
    ....a fair few people seem to agree with me though:

(Original post by allieRAWR!)
    Technically, yes. But only technically.
    (Original post by JocastaJackal)
    Yeah technically. I wouldn't exactly aim for one though :P
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    (Original post by im so academic)
    :ditto:
    (Original post by Quady)
    yup but it only signals your not in the bottom 3% of candidates so its hardly something to shout about.
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    It's a pass but it's not exactly worth anything
    You seem to fall under the trap of thinking that just because I am young, I know nothing and am stupid..... I have been on an interviewing board for Waterstone's bookshop and we have discussed such subjects before and anything less than a C at gcse and a D at a-level is not to be considered, as part of company policy. Yes - my experiences are limited to a single retailer and not universities but that gives a fairly conclusive answer in my opinion. Of course there are some (not so good where one wouldn't really want to go) universities where they will take anyone with three a-level passes of any sort, hence i said in theory; but for a good uni or a good employer, as Quady said, an E is "hardly something to shout about" ... but at least i know that the plural of an abbreviation does not take an apostrophe....

ReputationRep:
    An E is a pass, end of, none of this 'technically' crap - if you have an E at AS you have passed that subject, if you have an E grade overall you have passed the subject. Regardless of what Waterstones (as if what one single retailer thinks matters, and in reality what does a bookstore know about A levels ?) may think.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.