Sa2503
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I want to know if I should be doing something this summer before I take full IB. I feel like I'm not being productive, and everyone is saying that double sciences are hard. My classes are:

Physics SL
Economics HL
English lang & Lit SL
Chemistry HL
Maths MAA SL
Spanish Lit HL
Last edited by Sa2503; 4 weeks ago
GillisRobbieWGS
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sa2503)
I want to know if I should be doing something this summer before I take full IB. I feel like I'm not being productive, and everyone is saying that double sciences are hard. My classes are:

Physics SL
Economics HL
English lang & Lit SL
Chemistry HL
Maths MAA SL
Spanish Lit HL
Although I'm not doing IB, I was at a school whose sixth form did. The advice most people had for a productive summer was the same that I have received for my A-Levels. Take the first week of your summer off doing interesting reading and watching just so your brain doesn't go to complete mush. I'm watching various versions of Hamlet for English Lit as well as re-reading my set texts with the audiobook to accompany them. Spend the next few weeks revising from 9am-1pm, 1 hour lunch break, 2pm-5pm, 1 hour break, 6pm to 8pm, wind down for the rest of the evening doing something you enjoy. Of you can, set yourself timetables for each week. For languages, do 25 minutes of Memrise or Duolingo or Babble every morning just to get you into the swing of working or do gentle reading for English lit or start by reading the news for English lang. If you're feeling unproductive, try and get some exercise in before you start working so your focus will be there. Put your phone in the kitchen if you work in your bedroom or in another room in the house where it isn't easily accessible. Maybe try and get a Skype session going with some study buddies so you have to motivation there and as a reward you can chat for 10-15 minutes.
Little and often will win
Good luck!
username5342916
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
First of all you can absolutely do double science, I did one this year. I was at the exact position as you wondering about what to do before IB, and I took a Pre-IB summer course. It was fun but not really necessary. All I can say that don't really worry too much about it, you can maybe try to get in the habit of good time management and study skills but you can learn it on the go as well. You can also look at the structure of IB past papers, to get an understanding of what IB papers are actually expecting from you but other than that, just live your summer as much as you can. IB will be rough so try to have fun.
VanillaCream
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hey!
don't worry about doing double science, it's nothing really special, a lot of people in my class are doing Physics HL and Chemistry HL and I'm personally doing Chemistry HL and Biology HL (not the same, but still double science ), it's not hard imo.
before going to IBY1 I was advised I shouldn't be doing anything in summer and I really regret that, I mean I can still do (quite) well, but I wasn't prepared for that at all hahah
I think there's no need to study too much in summer. if you know what books you'll be reading in English and Spanish, you could already eg. read the one that you will do first (if you know which ones are those) or just read a few of them so that you don't have to spend so much time on this in the schoolyear. for Chemistry, there is honestly probably nothing you have to know beforehand, ofc if you know a lot, it's easier, but there is no need for this, the same goes for Physics probably (as the same goes for Bio, so it's probably all sciences) - at Chemistry you start with the basic stoichiometry and atomic structure which you probably already know, but even if you don't, all will be explained. Economics (I'm not doing it tho, that's what I've heard from my friends) is a subject that no people did before probably so everything will be explained at the beginning and it is quite easy actually in general. the only subject, although it's your SL, that I would say you could prepare beforehand is Maths, you could have a look at the 'prior knowledge' section and make sure you know everything that is mentioned there (you probably do, but just for sure) and in case you don' remember some stuff, you can have a look into a textbook to revise it.
what's even more important than studying is preparing in my opinion, make sure you have all syllabi/guides to your subjects, all textbooks (either bought or in PDF) and all other resources that you may need (whatever works for you, if these are computer folders or paper folders, notebooks etc.). besides, if you're planning to do you own notes for subjects, I would advise doing checklists in e.g. excel with all topics and all books that you want to work with (like you can add or delete a book if you decide to do so during the schoolyear, but just make a general one) so that you can then 'check' the topics that you have notes from this textbook already or check when you have the full notes for a topic etc.

if you have any more questions, let me know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (178)
58.75%
No they should not (90)
29.7%
Abstain (35)
11.55%

Watched Threads