Watch
Loftwing
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello everyone,

Wondering if anyone can help me here.

I am currently studying for the initial interview and I am trying to find information about the "15 missions on 4 continents". I know the RAF are present in the UK (obviously), Cyprus, Gibraltar, Ascension Island, The Falklands, Lithuania (Op Azotize), Mali (Op Newcombe), Iraq and Syria (Op Shader), Afghanistan (Op Toral). I am struggling to find any other information on other ongoing operations. Maybe I am misunderstanding what is meant by "15 missions"? I have been slowly browsing through the articles section on the RAF website but I only see information in regards to the locations I have already mentioned.
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The areas you’ve picked up on are all that you need for interview.

When those lines are stated by senior officers in the RAF they are counting literally any RAF personnel involved in any Operation (that may not be RAF led). For example an RAF IntO could be imbedded with USAF on an operation they are conducting somewhere in the world.

Also keep in mind some operations may not be as public as others.
Last edited by AlphaTango; 3 weeks ago
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Map embedded within the attached should help; https://medium.com/voices-of-the-arm...d-6816349f5301
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If that is the information you have found, then that is what you say. It's a tiny part of the interview and don't become too focussed on this; you need demonstrate the personal qualities and understanding in other areas.

You dont need to answer every question perfectly and, with Forum rules, posting answers on here gives an unfair advantage to other people who could just read it without doing proper research.
AscendingWings
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Surnia)
If that is the information you have found, then that is what you say. It's a tiny part of the interview and don't become too focussed on this; you need demonstrate the personal qualities and understanding in other areas.
This is very much the reality. Especially for an initial interview, you’re not going to be quizzed hard, you are also not expected to know everything about the RAF. But, you are expected to know basic things openly available in the public domain. If there is information you should be aware of, you shouldn’t have to look any further than the RAF website.

Having this knowledge is great for the initial interview, but it’ll really be of benefit in interviews later on down the line. There is loads of support on the different interviews which you can find on here so you can channel your focus. Remember, the initial interview is what gets people in off the streets who have a basic understanding. It’s rare you’ll have someone who knows everything from day one on a job, that said and as I’ve already mentioned, do not devalue this information, it is valuable to have and will come to use at some point.

Best of luck for the interview.
Ikaruss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ascending Wings (PS find your own profile picture, I was here first!), I've lost count of the times current and former service advisors on here (including recruiters) have told people not to overthink their research into the role they're interested in.

That and the incessant queries about limiting medical conditions, which no-one on here can answer with any authority.

Fortunately, the TSR walls are very thick, and no-one hears you scream as you bang your head against them. Or, as a Scottish DS often lamented with me: "Ah shaks ma heid"
AscendingWings
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ikaruss)
Ascending Wings (PS find your own profile picture, I was here first!)
Haha, I'll take that. I'll see what I can find to fit. Back at you though - it's a stock image!

(Original post by Ikaruss)
"I've lost count of the times current and former service advisors on here (including recruiters) have told people not to overthink their research into the role they're interested in."

I'm not saying don't research, in fact I've said the opposite. All the information looked at will be of use in some form or another. But for the initial interview, you're normally asked about yourself and the RAF in general. You're not expected to know the fine details and having an overview is fine. Even saying I don't know is fine. It's about being able to know where to look for the information which I guess is what this post is hinting at.

When you get role specific it is important you know the deal, you understand what exactly you are signing up for. In this case, no role has been mentioned, and doesn't need to be because this information is applicable to all roles.

The posted question was on the initial interview, I'm not sure what is meant by that, is that the filter interview? Is that an interview at the AFCO? The AFCO won't feed you all the information, doing your own research is essential but they will help. They'll tell you the path and it's up to you to find out more. Most of it is publicly available and more often than not, on the RAF page.

(Original post by AscendingWings)
It’s rare you’ll have someone who knows everything from day one on a job, that said and as I’ve already mentioned, do not devalue this information, it is valuable to have and will come to use at some point.

Best of luck for the interview.
I still stand by this. You're not going to need to know everything but having an understanding is something that will set you apart from the crowd. Having this information early on is great and shows your dedication and interest to your application. In reality, you sitting your initial interview recalling information at a rate of knots isn't going to happen, you're time limited and you have to get all answers across well. Don't overload yourself with information because if the interviewer wants to hear more from you, you'll sure be asked.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (67)
40.85%
Take autumn exams (55)
33.54%
Look for a job (4)
2.44%
Consider an apprenticeship (5)
3.05%
Take a year out (23)
14.02%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (10)
6.1%

Watched Threads