DeltaFox
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I need a few short phrases translated into Korean (They're from South Korea). I'm very clueless on the language sadly .

1) Ah Ping, you rat arsed pig, why do you soil my place?
2) Still as fat as ever I see.
3) I spit in your food.
4) I hope you die of Typhoid.

It's for a fictional writing project between two friends, one is a man working in a noodle bar, the other is a rather crude female customer nicknamed Ping.

I want it to be accurate as I'm keen to not have the character be a caricature or a token race. It won't be translated in the story, so kinda an easter egg for those who research it. Both characters are otherwise nice, just they jokily insult each other.

Any other ideas that sound less Western as insults would be really cool too!

Thanks
iracundus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DeltaFox)
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I need a few short phrases translated into Korean (They're from South Korea). I'm very clueless on the language sadly .

3) I spit in your food.

It's for a fictional writing project between two friends, one is a man working in a noodle bar, the other is a rather crude female customer nicknamed Ping.

I want it to be accurate as I'm keen to not have the character be a caricature or a token race. It won't be translated in the story, so kinda an easter egg for those who research it. Both characters are otherwise nice, just they jokily insult each other.

Thanks
If u don’t wanna stereotype maybe don’t call the character ping, as far as I know that’s a chinese girls name not Korean so .. maybe not the most culturally aware name ? Not trying to criticise but if ur going for authenticity maybe find a Korean name for a Korean character (unless u have a good reason why they have this nickname then ignore me, I know this also isn’t answering what u want but just something to think about) also instead of getting someone to translate what u think may be insults google prexisting Korean insults so it sounds more natural
Last edited by iracundus; 3 weeks ago
SuperiorPotato
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

3) I spit in your food.

Thanks
Ping isn't a very Korean name ngl and wow those are some insults
DeltaFox
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by iracundus)
If u don’t wanna stereotype maybe don’t call the character ping, as far as I know that’s a chinese girls name not Korean so .. maybe not the most culturally aware name ? Not trying to criticise but if ur going for authenticity maybe find a Korean name for a Korean character (unless u have a good reason why they have this nickname then ignore me, I know this also isn’t answering what u want but just something to think about) also instead of getting someone to translate what u think may be insults google prexisting Korean insults so it sounds more natural
Hey, thanks for your reply .

Ping isn't Korean, she just speaks the language. She was born in Singapore and is half Chinese. The nickname comes from her being a computer hacker, so 'Ping' as in the networking term! It's all covered in the book hah.

The gentleman is South Korean, but he was born and grew up in post-apocalyptic America. Cultural identity is important where they both live, due to oppression and segregation.

That's why I'm looking to blend more Western insults and directness with Korean, because for all intents and purposes, Korea no longer exists D: .

I'd rather not use the appalling google translate function hah.
iracundus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, thanks for your reply .

Ping isn't Korean, she just speaks the language. She was born in Singapore and is half Chinese. The nickname comes from her being a computer hacker, so 'Ping' as in the networking term! It's all covered in the book hah.

The gentleman is South Korean, but he was born and grew up in post-apocalyptic America. Cultural identity is important where they both live, due to oppression and segregation.

That's why I'm looking to blend more Western insults and directness with Korean, because for all intents and purposes, Korea no longer exists D: .

I'd rather not use the appalling google translate function hah.
Ah sounds cool, Good luck !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (63)
41.45%
Take autumn exams (53)
34.87%
Look for a job (3)
1.97%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.63%
Take a year out (20)
13.16%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.92%

Watched Threads