UK universities receive record number of applications in lockdown

Watch
Lightning720
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
"A record 40.5% of all 18-year-olds in the UK have applied to go to university, with numbers rising significantly during lockdown, according to the university admissions service Ucas.

It is the first time that more than four out of 10 students (40.5%) had applied by 30 June to go to university and the figures will offer some comfort to universities bracing themselves for the Covid-19 aftershock.

At the same point in the admissions cycle last year, the figure was 38.9%, and Ucas points out that between mid-March and the end of June, when the pandemic was at its height in the UK, applications rose by 17%."

You can read the full article here - https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...tions-lockdown
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lightning720)
"A record 40.5% of all 18-year-olds in the UK have applied to go to university, with numbers rising significantly during lockdown, according to the university admissions service Ucas.

It is the first time that more than four out of 10 students (40.5%) had applied by 30 June to go to university and the figures will offer some comfort to universities bracing themselves for the Covid-19 aftershock.

At the same point in the admissions cycle last year, the figure was 38.9%, and Ucas points out that between mid-March and the end of June, when the pandemic was at its height in the UK, applications rose by 17%."

You can read the full article here - https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...tions-lockdown
Interesting. Pure speculation but:
-Have businesses frozen apprenticeship hiring due to uncertainty of future work...
-Over the past 4 months they've finally realised a gap year or spending a year in a part-time job may be way harder then normal...

But what I think the main reason is:
-Now we can see the end of corona (first wave at least) people are looking at this now as an economic crisis not a public health one, in economic crises typically more people go into education
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Perhaps not having to take exams has created time that has meant some people who leave things to the last minute have not done so. Or are more confident about the grades they need.
Lightning720
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
Interesting. Pure speculation but:
-Have businesses frozen apprenticeship hiring due to uncertainty of future work...
-Over the past 4 months they've finally realised a gap year or spending a year in a part-time job may be way harder then normal...

But what I think the main reason is:
-Now we can see the end of corona (first wave at least) people are looking at this now as an economic crisis not a public health one, in economic crises typically more people go into education
I believe this cohort of Y13s is the smallest in years which makes it even more interesting that university admissions are up (correct me if I've made this up ).
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I believe this cohort of Y13s is the smallest in years which makes it even more interesting that university admissions are up (correct me if I've made this up ).
Yes I think this is correct.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's very normal for university admissions to go up when unemployment is high or rising for all sorts of reasons.

It's also possible that people planning to take gap years have decided that next year won't be the best time to do that (understandable) and are maybe worried that it might be more difficult to get into uni next year.

It's interesting that applications for nursing have increased so much!
Oliviaperkss
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
And here I was hoping I had a better chance of getting in as everyone would be deferring this year due to covid 🙃😂
neko no basu
  • Political Ambassador
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Oliviaperkss)
And here I was hoping I had a better chance of getting in as everyone would be deferring this year due to covid 🙃😂
lol sameee
neko no basu
  • Political Ambassador
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, I've heard something like that too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors are most important to you when considering a university in Clearing?

How well the uni/course ranks (7)
17.95%
Location (7)
17.95%
How effective their covid-19 policies are (1)
2.56%
What courses they offer (8)
20.51%
Course content (7)
17.95%
Social life options (4)
10.26%
Accommodation options (3)
7.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
5.13%

Watched Threads