Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Lol destiny.....well considering there are so few of my own culture that i dont really hve a choice....however i am considering moving to another country so i will eventually marry one of my own....cos i cant put up with the complicated backlash if i was to marry sum1 else

I'd date anyone, because I'm desperate :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    where is seven_three, this thread needs some interesting posts... currently it is just everyone agreeing with each other -_-

ReputationRep:
    Yes providing I could be myself and we could both live life the way we want to in harmony with each other. In fact, I think I'd even change for someone if they proved that I could enjoy living their way

ReputationRep:
    I'm as English as they come, and I've been dating a Frenchman for the past 3.5 years. My parents have always been cool with it.

ReputationRep:
    it depends on their parents too you know... my aunt got married to someone from another culture and when we went there there'd serve a meal and say hello in English then talk in their own language the rest of the visit only to say "bye". basically love & marriage are complicated enough as it is without having to learn another culture. it wouldn't be fair to expect them to abdicate their culture and for you to keep yours.......
    But true love lasts forever so it would be hard but it could be ok...........

ReputationRep:
    ^^ But if you already know their language then it's not a problem...

ReputationRep:
    depends what the other half was like... if they were really strict religious or wtever....
    but you don't know untill it happens to you im very open minded, however my parents are less lol

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but that probably doesn't mean much coming from me as I'm mixed black and white so I don't really have one set culture or race. If I limited myself to other mixed girls, my pool would be very shallow indeed. =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nnnnl)
    Are you religious? If not, what if the other person was also non-religious and fully integrated into british culture? Would it matter then?
    Of course it wouldn't matter (although personally I'm not overwhelmed with the wonders of British culture anyway) but I'm talking about about dating a Uzbek girl from some village outside of Tashkent or something. I really couldn't be bothered with that. And on the question of race I much prefer white women anyway - but that's just a personal preference.

ReputationRep:
    I would go with most women from most cultures although not black.

Ideally my own background which is white or persian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uggycom)
    Lots of older generations stick by old biast views that individuals from a different culture or background arne't as clever or "GOOD" as the British and should get out of our country. Frankly, I detest that viewpoint because I love places that have diversity because diversity is what makes the world an exciting place.

Have your say!

Q) Would you date a person from a different race or culture even though your parents aren't happy with that?
    I don't go out with girls based on prejudices that the colour of their skin dictates the intellgence. And whilst some people may have preferences in terms of hair colour, and whilst it may, by extension, mean that people prefer black, white or asian women, in my experience I would find it very hard to separate a group of people. I had an Indian girlfriend who was very caring and attractive before having a white girlfriend. Both were atheists (even when I was a Christian), but I don't think that's significant. A person's culture can affect their personality to some extent, and a person's skin colour may not 'turn someone on' in the same way that different coloured eyes may not 'turn someone on'. They shouldn't be called racist for admitting that, in general, they don't seem to be as attracted to the majority of black people. Racism only becomes an issue if you actively discriminate on pre-conceived stereotypes. Saying "I don't like any Indian people" is not the same as saying "I don't tend to be attracted to people with darker skin".

I love diversity, and I do hate bigots that preach some form of Britishness whereby being 'white' is, seemingly, the crucial criteria. The latter attitude is something completely different to any notion of 'personal preference' generalisations.

To answer your question specifically: I would go out with anyone I liked, regardless of parental pressure if it were to exist.

ReputationRep:
    Basicaly, its not ethical.

Its just twatery if you wouldnt for that reason.

ReputationRep:
    sorry to interupt.
    howard your just the man i am looking for. i am considering doing Quantity surveying at Uclan and really need some advice from you.
    Pls, pls, get back to me
    tell me about :

*quality of lectures and feedback at uclan

*facilities at the school of built environment

*i no Uclan doesn't rank very well, but would it affect my chances of getting recruited followin graduation?

*Do have better chance of getting employed as my course involves commercial management?

*what are the employment prospects in the North like ( i live in london)

*what can i do to enhance my job prospects followin graduation;i was thinkin of becoming adept at the major european languages eg french, german, spanish etc. in case of a placement opportunity in another state would that help?
    what about mba s or hnds after graduation; i hope to be a chatered QS in future

*Did u enjoy uclan, would u recommend it?

i am glad i found a uclan QS graduate and hope u will rep;y
    Thankyou soo much

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would, provided the culture wasn't one based on a religious core. As I can't see myself being with anybody who considers religion to be a key part of their life. Not because I can't tolerate religious people, but with regards to marriage etc, I just don't think we'd be compatible.

As for my parents disagreeing with a choice of guy, I don't think they would care about race. They'd be more concerned with the type of person that they are, and how they have treated me than the colour of his skin.

ReputationRep:
    not if religion played a big part in their lives coz personally i don't agree with it

ReputationRep:
    Yes... if I like someone, why the hell would their culture or race matter?

ReputationRep:
    I dont really see this as a question of ethics at all, how can it possibly be unethical to date someone who is about 1% different to yourself? However, you can shove that "its our differences that make the world interesting" part up your ass because thats just crap. Its our differences which bugger everything up.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't date a goat.

ReputationRep:
    Pussy is pussy.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.