RIP Jack Charlton OBE, '66 World Cup Winner

Watch
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
RIP Jack Charlton, 1966 World Cup Winner.

He was a rarity in that he was a one-club man as a player and spent 21 years in the senior team at Leeds United, having come through their Youth side. He even resumed his career after 2 years National Service.

He was late to the international stage, called up to the England team just days before his 30th birthday - and won the World Cup the following year!

A successful club manager, he is considered to be another of the 'best managers England never had', alongside Brian Clough. Charlton went in to international management with the Republic of Ireland that saw some memorable achievements. He was an absolute gentleman, as reflected in the fact that he took jobs for the love of the game, without contracts and sometimes without a salary. Sadly, he was another of the particular generation of footballers affected by dementia and died at home with his family.

On a personal note, he was a highly-regarded manager at my club, Sheffield Wednesday. I saw him achieve promotion for us, and he always had time for the fans, even years later when he stopped to chat with me when I was up in Newcastle to watch the Owls.

A true legend of the game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53373542
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
RIP and I hope that he managed to make his peace with Sir Bobby before he died. I understand they had fallen out many years ago.

I expect a few glasses will be raised in Ireland in his memory.
username5342072
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I remember him from the early 90's as a manager, i never understood why an Englishman would want to manage ireland.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by rockhardplace)
I remember him from the early 90's as a manager, i never understood why an Englishman would want to manage ireland.
I can think of three reasons, firstly if he felt he had been passed over to be England manager he could show them what they had missed (unlikely), secondly because there was no expectation and nothing to lose, and thirdly as it was part-time and he was known to really enjoy fishing and other hobbies.
username5342072
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I can think of three reasons, firstly if he felt he had been passed over to be England manager he could show them what they had missed (unlikely), secondly because there was no expectation and nothing to lose, and thirdly as it was part-time and he was known to really enjoy fishing and other hobbies.
Opportunism, no doubt he would have managed them against his own country, probably did at least once.
Surnia
Rep:
?
(Original post by rockhardplace)
Opportunism, no doubt he would have managed them against his own country, probably did at least once.
Charlton applied for the England job, but when they didn't reply he said he would never apply for a job again, but wait to be asked. And he took the Ireland job when he was approached by the FAI, no surprise when you look at his record with Boro and Wednesday; he dropped down the league to manage the latter and so was up for a challenge with unfancied teams.

Euro 88: the Republic of Ireland beat England 1-0 with a Ray Houghton header. Classic match!
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
he also did a lot for the sport of fishing:

username5342072
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Charlton applied for the England job, but when they didn't reply he said he would never apply for a job again, but wait to be asked. And he took the Ireland job when he was approached by the FAI, no surprise when you look at his record with Boro and Wednesday; he dropped down the league to manage the latter and so was up for a challenge with unfancied teams.

Euro 88: the Republic of Ireland beat England 1-0 with a Ray Houghton header. Classic match!
Wish i didn't have to apply for jobs, i would only want to manage england because I'm not irish, could have easily have managed a league club instead.
Red Grape
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Surnia)
RIP Jack Charlton, 1966 World Cup Winner.

He was a rarity in that he was a one-club man as a player and spent 21 years in the senior team at Leeds United, having come through their Youth side. He even resumed his career after 2 years National Service.

He was late to the international stage, called up to the England team just days before his 30th birthday - and won the World Cup the following year!

A successful club manager, he is considered to be another of the 'best managers England never had', alongside Brian Clough. Charlton went in to international management with the Republic of Ireland that saw some memorable achievements. He was an absolute gentleman, as reflected in the fact that he took jobs for the love of the game, without contracts and sometimes without a salary. Sadly, he was another of the particular generation of footballers affected by dementia and died at home with his family.

On a personal note, he was a highly-regarded manager at my club, Sheffield Wednesday. I saw him achieve promotion for us, and he always had time for the fans, even years later when he stopped to chat with me when I was up in Newcastle to watch the Owls.

A true legend of the game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53373542

His actual name was John, he was born in 1935. Rest in peace.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
also his neice Suzanne used to do the weather on the telly ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanne_Charlton
Surnia
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
also his neice Suzanne used to do the weather on the telly ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanne_Charlton
That reminds of going to a Wednesday game and I overheard someone ask who our manager was. He was told 'Terry Yorath', and replied he didn't know who that was. But he knew when he was told "Gabby Logan's dad" :giggle:
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Was he the elder brother of the United legend Bobby Charlton? I think so.

By all means, rest in peace! :rip:
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Was he the elder brother of the United legend Bobby Charlton? I think so.
Yes, and related to the Newcastle and England playerJackie Milburn.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (191)
33.45%
Receiving them online / by email (286)
50.09%
I still don't know (94)
16.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed