any aspiring entrepreneurs here?

Watch
Gent2324
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
anyone else at school/uni and trying to become an entrepreneur in the future?
SAARH.A5
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm currently just thinking of any random business ideas that I can think of. My plan is to tweak products by identifying problems and creating solutions. I would like to create a product(s) that people would need to repeatedly buy or I would like to provide some sort of service. Honestly, I'm not too sure how I would be able to start a business.
What about you?
Gent2324
Rep:
?
(Original post by SAARH.A5)
I'm currently just thinking of any random business ideas that I can think of. My plan is to tweak products by identifying problems and creating solutions. I would like to create a product(s) that people would need to repeatedly buy or I would like to provide some sort of service. Honestly, I'm not too sure how I would be able to start a business.
What about you?
at the moment im reselling computers and building them, but im looking to start a proper business in the next year or so, likely going to be in the online sector as thats growing pretty fast as always.
SAARH.A5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Gent2324)
at the moment im reselling computers and building them, but im looking to start a proper business in the next year or so, likely going to be in the online sector as thats growing pretty fast as always.
That's great. Good luck! I haven’t necessarily found something that I'm passionate enough in to go all in on, but hopefully I'll be able to figure it out.
Gent2324
Rep:
?
That's great. Good luck! I haven’t necessarily found something that I'm passionate enough in to go all in on, but hopefully I'll be able to figure it out.
id advise just trying to make some connections with people then you will find what you like
SAARH.A5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Gent2324)
id advise just trying to make some connections with people then you will find what you like
Alright, thanks for the advice.
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah I’m interested in becoming an entrepreneur in the future but haven’t found a good business idea yet. My plan is to use income from my normal job to put into property: I’m quite interested in buy to let and property development. Maybe this will be the first company I start and then use profits to invest in my own startup with an idea I’ve developed. Healthcare tech is a growing sector so I plan to run healthcare venture capital projects and see where that goes. I also want to get a formal business education and do an MBA so I can keep my options open for corporate jobs too.
SAARH.A5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by asif007)
Yeah I’m interested in becoming an entrepreneur in the future but haven’t found a good business idea yet. My plan is to use income from my normal job to put into property: I’m quite interested in buy to let and property development. Maybe this will be the first company I start and then use profits to invest in my own startup with an idea I’ve developed. Healthcare tech is a growing sector so I plan to run healthcare venture capital projects and see where that goes. I also want to get a formal business education and do an MBA so I can keep my options open for corporate jobs too.
That's great, good luck! I was also planning on investing in real estate, as I believe it can generate ongoing passive income and can be a good long-term investment to building wealth.
asif007
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That's great, good luck! I was also planning on investing in real estate, as I believe it can generate ongoing passive income and can be a good long-term investment to building wealth.
Thanks, same to you! Yeah definitely, there’s so many options out there when it comes to real estate and the markets are usually consistent. You can rent out a property to residential tenants, set up your own business on the premises, lease it out to another business or sell it once you’ve increased the valuation. Particularly outside London, yields are quite high if you rent out a property to SME such as grocery shops. I’m planning to do some online courses in future so I can learn the analytical side formally.

I’m aware that one needs to be in a financially stable position first before investing becomes a realistic option. So I’m working towards a good career and high income first before I venture into business pursuits. You can grow the capital a lot quicker with a well paid job, allowing you to make big investments sooner.
SAARH.A5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks, same to you! Yeah definitely, there’s so many options out there when it comes to real estate and the markets are usually consistent. You can rent out a property to residential tenants, set up your own business on the premises, lease it out to another business or sell it once you’ve increased the valuation. Particularly outside London, yields are quite high if you rent out a property to SME such as grocery shops. I’m planning to do some online courses in future so I can learn the analytical side formally.

I’m aware that one needs to be in a financially stable position first before investing becomes a realistic option. So I’m working towards a good career and high income first before I venture into business pursuits. You can grow the capital a lot quicker with a well paid job, allowing you to make big investments sooner.
Thank you! Yeah, I completely agree. I'm looking into long-term investment strategies. Realistically, I just want to be in a financially stable position in the future. I'll definitely do more research on what you have mentioned above. What online courses would you consider doing?

I'm doing the same as you in terms of working towards a good career and high income before venturing into business pursuits. I'm still unsure on ideas though, but I'll think of something. My main focus right now is to learn about personal finance, financial literacy and investment methods, and get into a good career (finance-related).
asif007
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you! Yeah, I completely agree. I'm looking into long-term investment strategies. Realistically, I just want to be in a financially stable position in the future. I'll definitely do more research on what you have mentioned above. What online courses would you consider doing?

I'm doing the same as you in terms of working towards a good career and high income before venturing into business pursuits. I'm still unsure on ideas though, but I'll think of something. My main focus right now is to learn about personal finance, financial literacy and investment methods, and get into a good career (finance-related).
LSE have an online course called Real Estate Economics & Finance. This is the only one I’ve considered so far. They also run a Masters degree course in the same subject. I’m sure there are similar options out there with other universities but reputation wise I don’t really know which ones are the best.

What kinds of things are you using to learn about personal finance and investment methods? That seems like a good place to start. As you can probably guess, I want to do the same.
SAARH.A5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
LSE have an online course called Real Estate Economics & Finance. This is the only one I’ve considered so far. They also run a Masters degree course in the same subject. I’m sure there are similar options out there with other universities but reputation wise I don’t really know which ones are the best.

What kinds of things are you using to learn about personal finance and investment methods? That seems like a good place to start. As you can probably guess, I want to do the same.
I'd recommend that you use free online resources to do your research, as most things taught from the LSE online course could probably be found online for free. Same goes for the Masters degree - it's not worth taking a Masters degree to learn about real estate, as most content can be found for free. You can teach yourself this content. Hence, it's not worth paying the university fees. It's up to you though.

I would recommend using Investopedia - this is a really helpful resource. I practise investing using an online trading platform with a demo account. This is just to familiarise myself with all the technical aspects of the software platform (such as analysing the market charts, trading signals etc.) I'm also quite new to this, so I'm just learning as I go.
asif007
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd recommend that you use free online resources to do your research, as most things taught from the LSE online course could probably be found online for free. Same goes for the Masters degree - it's not worth taking a Masters degree to learn about real estate, as most content can be found for free. You can teach yourself this content. Hence, it's not worth paying the university fees. It's up to you though.

I would recommend using Investopedia - this is a really helpful resource. I practise investing using an online trading platform with a demo account. This is just to familiarise myself with all the technical aspects of the software platform (such as analysing the market charts, trading signals etc.) I'm also quite new to this, so I'm just learning as I go.
Yeah I get you. No decisions have been made and I don’t have money to spend on anything yet, lol. Just some thoughts for the future. The bigger priority is to get the high paying job and pay down some student debt before I think about investing. I plan to get some experience with starting a business first and doing an MBA in the future, something I’ve been working towards for a long time. Getting an MBA would be a big achievement and unlike online courses I don’t think the teaching and institution reputation would be available online. These are all a long way off anyway, just interested to hear from other people planning to do similar things.
SAARH.A5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah I get you. No decisions have been made and I don’t have money to spend on anything yet, lol. Just some thoughts for the future. The bigger priority is to get the high paying job and pay down some student debt before I think about investing. I plan to get some experience with starting a business first and doing an MBA in the future, something I’ve been working towards for a long time. Getting an MBA would be a big achievement and unlike online courses I don’t think the teaching and institution reputation would be available online. These are all a long way off anyway, just interested to hear from other people planning to do similar things.
Yeah I understand what you mean. I also haven’t started investing yet - I’m just doing as much research as I can to prepare myself for the future. It’s better to start as early as possible, however it really depends on your circumstances so I understand why you wouldn't want to do so now.

I think it depends on what type of investment methods you are interested in looking into. I’ve been looking into all sorts of investment methods like stocks, real estate etc. I'm more interested in long-term investment methods. I'm doing as much research as possible since I have so much free time, so I might as well spend it on doing something useful. I'm hoping to start by putting a little amount of money aside per month to invest into stocks. This amount would be little but consistent. It could be around about 10-20% of your monthly salary to put into investment funds, for example. If you do this consistently, you'll build up wealth for the future (whenever you retire).

Good luck for your MBA in the future. I’m doing something similar in that I would like to complete a BSc to get myself into graduate schemes in finance. Hopefully this should enable me to get into a high paying job in the future. I'll also be gaining relevant work experience by completing internships throughout university which should give me an advantage when applying to jobs. However, I am aware that there are more graduates than jobs. So it’s going to be more competitive and I've heard that most companies put you through all sorts of tests and interviews before they even considering hiring you. So it's really important for me to practise aptitude tests to know what to expect & this will enable me to achieve a higher score.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (83)
25%
Better than expected (72)
21.69%
Worse than expected (177)
53.31%

Watched Threads