b1nary
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey,
Last year, my graphics card (nvidia) on my i7 brand new computer became a bit weird after a windows feature update. The screen shrank and games were no longer functioning properly. Then I deleted it, and it was still the same. It has been a long time since then, please could someone let me know what to do.

Thank you.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by b1nary)
Hey,
Last year, my graphics card (nvidia) on my i7 brand new computer became a bit weird after a windows feature update. The screen shrank and games were no longer functioning properly. Then I deleted it, and it was still the same. It has been a long time since then, please could someone let me know what to do.

Thank you.
What graphics card is it?
b1nary
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
What graphics card is it?
it was a nvidia one, not sure about all the details sorry.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Broad advice , but the first thing i;d be trying to do is reinstall the NVIDIA drivers that came with the card.
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
deleted what?
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
it was a nvidia one, not sure about all the details sorry.
Download the GeForce Experience app from Nvidia's website if you don't already have it (I would assume it came preinstalled on the laptop) and have it search and download the newest drivers.
b1nary
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
Broad advice , but the first thing i;d be trying to do is reinstall the NVIDIA drivers that came with the card.
yeah, but not sure how to and if this could make it worse
b1nary
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
Download the GeForce Experience app from Nvidia's website if you don't already have it (I would assume it came preinstalled on the laptop) and have it search and download the newest drivers.
thank you, will try this on my computer
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Drivers are a basic requirement for parts of a computer to work properly, there's no way having correct drivers can make things worse in this context.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you don't know what the card is and how drivers work, could you clarify exactly what you mean by 'you deleted it?' (it could mean a few things)

Are we talking about a desktop PC with a physical NVIDIA graphics card in it, or a laptop with what we would call 'integrated' graphics.

As Gofre says the NVIDIA website is probably the best bet. unless your PC came with a specific NVIDIA install CD or something, in which case i'd try that first), and no, this will realistically not make it worse.

Most Windows PC's also have some way to go back and restore the system to a previous time, ie: before the windows update, but you'd need to do a bit of reading on that.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you don't know what the card is and how drivers work, could you clarify exactly what you mean by 'you deleted it?' (it could mean a few things)
My guess is an update messed with the display scaling, and they ended up deleting the drivers and they're laptop just sticks to the i7's integrated graphics now.
b1nary
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
Drivers are a basic requirement for parts of a computer to work properly, there's no way having correct drivers can make things worse in this context.
yes, but in the process something may happen i fear
b1nary
Rep:
?

Are we talking about a desktop PC with a physical NVIDIA graphics card in it, or a laptop with what we would call 'integrated' graphics.

As Gofre says the NVIDIA website is probably the best bet. unless your PC came with a specific NVIDIA install CD or something, in which case i'd try that first), and no, this will realistically not make it worse.

Most Windows PC's also have some way to go back and restore the system to a previous time, ie: before the windows update, but you'd need to do a bit of reading on that.
It's a PC with a physical NVIDIA graphics card. I went on the control panel and deleted it there. Thanks.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yes, but in the process something may happen i fear
If something happens then you've got bigger problems with your computer.
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey,

Thank you.
You deleted your graphics driver, not your card :lol:

Erm, go to Nvidia's website and download the GeForce tool, reinstall the drivers and you should be good to go in theory.

Windows updates can do weird stuff to drivers some of the time, usually it's sorted out by updating the driver and not deleting it!
Last edited by RoyalSheepy; 4 weeks ago
b1nary
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
You deleted your graphics driver, not your card :lol:

Erm, go to Nvidia's website and download the GeForce tool, reinstall the drivers and you should be good to go in theory.
oh ok,
thank you
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If installing the latest drivers for your card doesn't fix it, see if you can get it repaired or replaced under warranty.

If not go on ebay and get yourself an equivalent spec graphics card. You can get good cards for £70 or less.
b1nary
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
If installing the latest drivers for your card doesn't fix it, see if you can get it repaired or replaced under warranty.

If not go on ebay and get yourself an equivalent spec graphics card. You can get good cards for £70 or less.
Ok, thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (60)
25.21%
Better than expected (50)
21.01%
Worse than expected (128)
53.78%

Watched Threads