Can I take a sleeping pill with antibiotics? Watch

Antonia87
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I am suffering from a severe chest infection which has resulted in several sleepless, coughing, spluttering nights. I went to my doctor today who prescribed me antibiotics but I stupidly forgot to ask her if I could take a sleeping pill (or maybe even just some night nurse) before I went to bed. Is it a bit too risky?
Lithium
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Antonia87)
I am suffering from a severe chest infection which has resulted in several sleepless, coughing, spluttering nights. I went to my doctor today who prescribed me antibiotics but I stupidly forgot to ask her if I could take a sleeping pill (or maybe even just some night nurse) before I went to bed. Is it a bit too risky?
what antibiotic is it?
Antonia87
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Lithium)
what antibiotic is it?
Amoxicillin. They're quite powerful.
Lithium
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Antonia87)
Amoxicillin. They're quite powerful.
Well, don't take my following statement as an attempt to belittle the importance of taking all drugs seriously, but Amoxicillin is a relatively safe AB

Ok, what sleeping aid/pills are you taking? i.e. what is their active ingredient(s)?
mja
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some sleeping tablets cause a degree of respiratory depression. If you already have a respiratory problem that could be a real problem. So don't take sleeping tablets without speaking to a doctor.
Mithent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't see any interactions with amoxicillin and sleeping tablets. Amoxicillin is a pretty commonly-prescribed antibiotic, and I'm coincidentally on it now; my patient information leaflet doesn't say anything about sleeping tablets either. Of course, you'd have to ask a pharmacist for a definitive answer.
mja
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My concern isn't the amoxicillin, it's the "severe chest infection" the OP has. Respiratory depression is a contra-indication to the use of many sleeping tablets.
emmzy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
correct me if im wrong but would 'severe chest infection' not be more along the lines of pneumonia and in hospital?!
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
NHS Direct will know. Please call them rather than consulting teenagers on a forum. xD
studentbug
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Feel free to pm me if you want any advice about mixing medicines in future. I'm going to university next year!
JocastaJackal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mja)
My concern isn't the amoxicillin, it's the "severe chest infection" the OP has. Respiratory depression is a contra-indication to the use of many sleeping tablets.
True. I buy sleeping tablets fairly often (I shouldn't, I know), but they always ask me if I have asthma every time I get them.

I wouldn't use the sleeping tablets, on the safe side. The tablets slow down your breathing and on top of a respiratory infection that could be pretty bad.
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If it's a benzodiazepine, I wouldn't recommend it. If it's a sleeping aid, and not a tranquillizer, it won't do any harm. Your AB is wide spectrum and not very strong anyways, I wouldn't worry about it.
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JocastaJackal)
True. I buy sleeping tablets fairly often (I shouldn't, I know), but they always ask me if I have asthma every time I get them.

I wouldn't use the sleeping tablets, on the safe side. The tablets slow down your breathing and on top of a respiratory infection that could be pretty bad.
OTC sleeping aids? They do close to nothing.

The only think the OP should worry about is something strong like a benzodiazepine/other tranquilliser, especially with anything stronger than bromazepam.
JocastaJackal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Misogynist)
OTC sleeping aids? They do close to nothing.

The only think the OP should worry about is something strong like a benzodiazepine/other tranquilliser, especially with anything stronger than bromazepam.
Hmm, maybe. I don't think they'd be enough to do anything severe to the OP (the otc pills) but it might cause more discomfort etc.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by emmzy)
correct me if im wrong but would 'severe chest infection' not be more along the lines of pneumonia and in hospital?!
Not necessarily - if they're well enough and have good enough care at home, there's no need to admit them. I had pneumonia when I was younger and was never admitted. As a young person you'd have to be pretty knocked out to end up in hospital unless there were other co-morbidities.

As for the drugs, read the leaflets and see what you can find.
Revd. Mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If it's just some night nurse or nytol it's fine.
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mja)
Some sleeping tablets cause a degree of respiratory depression. If you already have a respiratory problem that could be a real problem. So don't take sleeping tablets without speaking to a doctor.
Which ones?
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spotty Dog)
NHS Direct will know. Please call them rather than consulting teenagers on a forum. xD
NHS redirect, might know, but they will not give that information over the phone.
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by emmzy)
Either way, a severe chest infection would not be on amoxycillin.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
NHS redirect, might know, but they will not give that information over the phone.
I've had this sort of advice from NHS Direct several times. o.o; "Can I take x with y while I've got ____" and I always get an answer. o.o;
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (200)
18.8%
No (646)
60.71%
Not really bothered about them (218)
20.49%

Watched Threads