The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lilhunni_jo
Got 85% for chemistry.
Not sure my maths, think it was 95/6%....was annoyed 'cos was all on such stupid things.
Got an A1 in french but I don't know my mark, and an A2 in english which I was dead chuffed with since it was supposedly harshly marked, only one person in my english set got an A1 :eek:

I wouldn't have thought that many would've gotten an A1 in mine - but loads did! Quite a turn for the cards, considering the prelim results - no A1s.
boysenberry
I wouldn't have thought that many would've gotten an A1 in mine - but loads did! Quite a turn for the cards, considering the prelim results - no A1s.

Same with our school except there was one A1 for the prelims.
boysenberry

Were you doing Int 2 or Higher? :smile:

I did Int 2.....there was maybe 4 A1s in the whole year compared to about 17 at higher.
lilhunni_jo
Were you doing Int 2 or Higher? :smile:

I did Int 2.....there was maybe 4 A1s in the whole year compared to about 17 at higher.

it was higher. but, 17's a mighty high number, quite a bit more than in our year.
boysenberry
it was higher. but, 17's a mighty high number, quite a bit more than in our year.

Ohh okay....I don't really know how many should be expected really. Varies with the subject I guess, english will have less and french, maths etc more I'd guess.
lilhunni_jo
Ohh okay....I don't really know how many should be expected really. Varies with the subject I guess, english will have less and french, maths etc more I'd guess.

oh, yeah. especially seeing as the french and maths exams being a bit easier this year than in previous ones.
Reply 66
I got:

Maths - A (95%)
English - A (88% :s-smilie:)
Chemistry - A (97% :smile: )
Biology - A (92%)
Modern Literal Studies - A (86 %)

Advanced Higher

Biology - A (91%)
Maths - A (96%)
Dunno what I got in chemistry yet :[]
Reply 67
No serious offence intended to some people here, but it's absolutely sick how you're disappointed over "only 92% in AH Maths" or whatever it was. I mean, you're absolute brainboxes and I am sure you all know it, so seriously... get a grip on reality.

Unless you go to private/public school, then be absolutely ashamed.
</rant>

I'm really just jealous you have such good results. At a state school, I've never actually studied for my standard grades/highers and hence I look completely stupid compared to all you~
Asymptote
No serious offence intended to some people here, but it's absolutely sick how you're disappointed over "only 92% in AH Maths" or whatever it was. I mean, you're absolute brainboxes and I am sure you all know it, so seriously... get a grip on reality.

Unless you go to private/public school, then be absolutely ashamed.
</rant>

I'm really just jealous you have such good results. At a state school, I've never actually studied for my standard grades/highers and hence I look completely stupid compared to all you~

but is it any more 'sick' that someone else would be disappointed with 52%? i know, the implications of such a mark are higher than missing out on only 8% worth of marks, but people have their own, little goals. i just wish more people would respect that.
Reply 69
To answer your question - yes, it is much more sick. There is a highly distinct difference between being discontent with little over halfmarks and being discontent with outstanding marks, having missed perhaps a couple of marks overall.

There is a highly distinct difference between an A1 and a C6.
Meteorshower
Same with our school except there was one A1 for the prelims.

Right,

Chemistry - 99% - Misread q. Gutted
Biology - 98%
Physics - 97% -
Maths - 95% - Idiot on last q and didnt like my random proof that did work.
English - Dont know but it was band 1

Meteorshower. Hi fives. Cambridge NatSci - Im christs :biggrin:. Pembrokes rubbish......haha

Very well done to the 50/50 in critical essays whatever your name is - thats some going.
Asymptote
To answer your question - yes, it is much more sick. There is a highly distinct difference between being discontent with little over halfmarks and being discontent with outstanding marks, having missed perhaps a couple of marks overall.

There is a highly distinct difference between an A1 and a C6.

if someone has set themselves an aim, let it be 100%, and they get, say, 90%, they're going to be disappointed, and have a right to be so.

really, just respect people's expectations relative to their results.
Reply 72
boysenberry
if someone has set themselves an aim, let it be 100%, and they get, say, 90%, they're going to be disappointed, and have a right to be so.

really, just respect people's expectations relative to their results.

I also have a right to disagree, and we have the right to agree to disagree. I need not respect expectations of 100%. As far as my opinion goes, I think it's completely irrational and obsessive, but hey, it's my own opinion.

I've never studied for an exam, and hence discovered some much more enjoyable things about life while still getting decent results. A wise compromise.
Asymptote
I also have a right to disagree, and we have the right to agree to disagree. I need not respect expectations of 100%. As far as my opinion goes, I think it's completely irrational and obsessive, but hey, it's my own opinion.

I've never studied for an exam, and hence discovered some much more enjoyable things about life while still getting decent results. A wise compromise.

Intellectual Acheivement is one of the best things you can get. Not always in terms of exams, but sit a maths challenge etc. and you have to think for days on how to do some really abstract/new technique and you get it its pretty cool.

Please dont claim you are wise by not revising for exams ,which is inferring people that do well aren't so. If like me, you enjoy mental challenges I think they are a great thing to do - something that i do with a whole heap of other things i cant be bothered listing. :smile:
Reply 74
By wise, I was implying that living largely outside study is also rewarding. I have learnt some things about life that many people never will, and I can assure you, it's invaluable to functionality.

As far as intellectual achievement and intellectual challenges are concerned, I agree that they're enjoyable and rewarding - I've done several academic/musical challenges myself.
My main point is just that, you shouldn't get obsessed with academic attainment, and enjoy life in ways that don't involve slaving away over textbooks 24/7, because there's a lot out there to enjoy.
Asymptote
By wise, I was implying that living largely outside study is also rewarding. I have learnt some things about life that many people never will, and I can assure you, it's invaluable to functionality.

As far as intellectual achievement and intellectual challenges are concerned, I agree that they're enjoyable and rewarding - I've done several academic/musical challenges myself.
My main point is just that, you shouldn't get obsessed with academic attainment, and enjoy life in ways that don't involve slaving away over textbooks 24/7, because there's a lot out there to enjoy.

Ok but thats not what you implied the first time and im def not obsessed.

Can u explain what you mean by

"I have learnt some things about life that many people never will, and I can assure you, it's invaluable to functionality. " without the jargon and mysteriousness
Asymptote
I think it's completely irrational and obsessive, but hey, it's my own opinion.

it's 'irrational and obsessive' to want to do as well as possible in education, in something?

well, well, well.
Reply 77
Asymptote
I have learnt some things about life that many people never will, and I can assure you, it's invaluable to functionality.

Such as..? :p:

And congratulations to you abstraction, those are some very impressive results! Although, being so close to 100% on more or less all of them, I can't help but think you're probably a bit gutted. :frown: Still, you have the Advanced Highers to shoot for now!
Xeraii
Such as..? :p:

And congratulations to you abstraction, those are some very impressive results! Although, being so close to 100% on more or less all of them, I can't help but think you're probably a bit gutted. :frown: Still, you have the Advanced Highers to shoot for now!

Thank You. Advanced Highers arent too bad. Maths is variable - Calculus is fun - graph drawing....is not.