Raja12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey guys,

would a chemistry degree from target universities, be sufficient enough to get an investment banking job?
jumpman123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It'll open the door but you need to build your network and get experience.
Raja12
Rep:
?
(Original post by jumpman123)
It'll open the door but you need to build your network and get experience.
right, currently deciding what degree to do at university. so will I need to do a masters in chemistry to land an investment banking job?
jumpman123
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Raja12)
right, currently deciding what degree to do at university. so will I need to do a masters in chemistry to land an investment banking job?
no
Mojmeer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey guys,

would a chemistry degree from target universities, be sufficient enough to get an investment banking job?
No. Bad choice.
Raja12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mojmeer)
No. Bad choice.
people from my school have done chemistry at target universities and landed these jobs? so how come its a bad choice?
SAARH.A5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There is no specific degree required to become an Investment Banker. You just need relevant work experience and to pass the interviews/assessments and a 2:1 to get into graduate schemes.
Last edited by SAARH.A5; 4 weeks ago
Mojmeer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
people from my school have done chemistry at target universities and landed these jobs? so how come its a bad choice?
You either made it up or they did conversion masters or graduate schemes. There is zero connection between those two. It's like landing Aero Engineering job with degree in History.
Mojmeer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SAARH.A5)
There is no specific degree required to become an Investment Banker. You just need relevant work experience and to pass the interviews/assessments.
Raja12
Rep:
?
You either made it up or they did conversion masters or graduate schemes. There is zero connection between those two. It's like landing Aero Engineering job with degree in History.
but chemistry does have mathematics modules...... comparing engineering and history are 2 different things, totally opposite. At least investment banking and chemistry have some type of link, no matter how small.
Raja12
Rep:
?
(Original post by SAARH.A5)
There is no specific degree required to become an Investment Banker. You just need relevant work experience and to pass the interviews/assessments and a 2:1 to get into graduate schemes.
right, also to go to target universities such as Warwick?
Mojmeer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
but chemistry does have mathematics modules...... comparing engineering and history are 2 different things, totally opposite. At least investment banking and chemistry have some type of link, no matter how small.
Really, intro to calculus and basic probability somehow does trick? This is just being delusional.
Raja12
Rep:
?
Really, intro to calculus and basic probability somehow does trick? This is just being delusional.
right can you please let me know whether your an investment banker then?
SAARH.A5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
right, also to go to target universities such as Warwick?
Yes, read post #2 on this thread.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What degree you have doesn't matter, frankly if its a masters or bachelors doesn't matter either.

Having a finance background will be more common but not nessasary.

Whats more important is going to a university thats targetted by employers and:
setting up your CV well i.e. spring weeks>internships etc.
(also trying to get leadership roles in societies look good)
Mojmeer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
right can you please let me know whether your an investment banker then?
No, I just wrote software for them. Also, I am also not a delusional child. Thinking that I can land an insanely difficult to get job where I be competing with 30-80 Quant guys with Masters in Risk Analysis and years of relevant experience.
Mojmeer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
What degree you have doesn't matter, frankly if its a masters or bachelors doesn't matter either.

Having a finance background will be more common but not nessasary.

Whats more important is going to a university thats targetted by employers and:
setting up your CV well i.e. spring weeks>internships etc.
(also trying to get leadership roles in societies look good)
Like open grad schemes? What is it? 1200 applicants per place? After the lock-down 3000 per place? Maybe even more. Let's study completely unrelated stuff and hope in a lottery.

It's usually a school or department that is targeted. Where literally every single person wants the job including some staff.
JamesHardenRocks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is false - Please dont believe this. It is in no way comparable to landing an Engineering job with a degree in History - you can in fact study whatever you want and target a job within investment banking. Studying a STEM subject at the very least makes it even more viable as your subject knowledge can be applicable to say a natural resources/industrials advisory team or the commodities team on a trading desk. Chemistry is a good subject.

I know people who work in banking who studied subjects like music, classics and geology.
Last edited by JamesHardenRocks; 4 weeks ago
JamesHardenRocks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Like open grad schemes? What is it? 1200 applicants per place? After the lock-down 3000 per place? Maybe even more. Let's study completely unrelated stuff and hope in a lottery.

It's usually a school or department that is targeted. Where literally every single person wants the job including some staff.
Again if you have interned or worked directly within a bank you will know there are roles where studying and having a subject background in chemistry for example can indeed be useful so it is not entirely true that such a subject is completely unrelated.

Many of the actual working knowledge and skill required is taught on-job.
Last edited by JamesHardenRocks; 4 weeks ago
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Well ive never been through the IB system (but I have been offered interviews in the sector, however I pulled out of the application process to accept another opportunity before ever attending the interview).

My understanding is the vast majority of analysts have internships like 90%. Also banks will still end up with a mass excess of applicants with IB intern experience. And to get an internship your best bet is a strong CV with spring weeks & networking. And the reality of this is you need a good uni ideally Oxbridge/Imperial/UCL/Warwick/LSE if not your going to struggle Bristol/Bath/Kings/Nottingham/Durham still routinely get students in just not in the same volume.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (180)
38.05%
Take autumn exams (146)
30.87%
Look for a job (16)
3.38%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.44%
Take a year out (82)
17.34%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.92%

Watched Threads