HAHAhsjshsj
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, i wanted to know if you had any work experience available now considering the current situation surrounding corona for chemistry/labs

Thank you!
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by HAHAhsjshsj)
Hi, i wanted to know if you had any work experience available now considering the current situation surrounding corona for chemistry/labs

Thank you!
Hi!

Do you need help with something? Your post isn’t very clear.

Is this a draft email you would like to send and want advice?
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by HAHAhsjshsj)

Thank you!
Hi there,

Your question is a bit vague, but hopefully I can still give you some advice

As you've said, due to COVID-19 most labs are closed (or only current staff can enter on a pre-planned rota/in bubbles). This means it will be very difficult, or impossible, to get any work experience in a lab.

I'm assuming you are looking for work experience in preparation for university (i.e. work experience for your personal statement), so I'll give you some other suggestions which could help since you likely won't be able to find any lab work at the moment:
  • Online MOOCs on websites such as Udemy and Futurelearn. These are free online courses (sometimes you have to pay) run by different institutions and universities in different topics. For example, Uni of Bath has one on Futurelearn about genetics. Doing some online short courses (about 2-5 weeks usually) are a great way to boost your uni application as it shows you've taken the initiative to do some advanced, essentially university level learning. It also shows you have a genuine passion for the subject, as you've gone out of the way to learn more about it
  • A lot of universities are currently offerings virtual/online courses and summer schools, since these are no longer available on campus. For example, Uni of Bath has the Discover Bath courses, which are free 4-5 week courses (about 4-5 hours of work per week) where you can get a taste for what the course is like in the first year of uni. If you do one of these courses from a uni you apply to, it can often boost your chances of getting an offer
  • Read some academic papers or books. I discussed a book I'd read on forensics in my personal statement to show how I'd developed my passion for science, and I think this worked well. It also gives you an idea of research, since you can't actually work in a lab.

I hope this has helped,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (80)
38.46%
Take autumn exams (71)
34.13%
Look for a job (6)
2.88%
Consider an apprenticeship (7)
3.37%
Take a year out (31)
14.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed