Purple_Giraffe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Could anyone help me decide between the 2 options for postgraduate :
MSc Data Analytics, University of Sheffield
MSc Data Science and Analytics, University of Cardiff

I know that the overall ranking of Sheffield is better than Cardiff however I would appreciate if you guys help in deciding between them in terms of academics, employability and cost of living.
ArabellaMarie8
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Can't speak for Sheffield but Cardiff is a great city-everything is very easy to get to. I did my undergrad and postgrad there. I always found the cost of living okay-I paid £265 a month to live with two of my friends. However, if you choose to live in halls or the private flat places for students-you will pay more. Can't speak for Cardiff uni actual accommodation but my friend lived in the private halls and she was paying £180 a week for her own little flat (but in a high rise). So I think it depends on what you want out of accommodation? I have heard (surprisingly) on here lately that post-grads are not happy with their courses at Cardiff Uni. I only ever heard good things but yeah. Also, speaking of friends-they all come from England or abroad and they weren't exactly impressed with Cardiff. It was always sold as a place where you have plenty to do etc. Thinking back on it, for undergrad I loved it and it seemed bigger and exciting etc but now, I can see what they mean. Love to go there for shopping don't get me wrong but in terms of things to do, for me (and my friends), there's not really a lot? But it depends what you make of it I guess. I always struggled to get a job during uni in Cardiff. However, a friend of mine never did so I think, again, it depends. Sorry if this isn't helpful in the slightest!
Purple_Giraffe
Rep:
?
(Original post by ArabellaMarie8)
Can't speak for Sheffield but Cardiff is a great city-everything is very easy to get to. I did my undergrad and postgrad there. I always found the cost of living okay-I paid £265 a month to live with two of my friends. However, if you choose to live in halls or the private flat places for students-you will pay more. Can't speak for Cardiff uni actual accommodation but my friend lived in the private halls and she was paying £180 a week for her own little flat (but in a high rise). So I think it depends on what you want out of accommodation? I have heard (surprisingly) on here lately that post-grads are not happy with their courses at Cardiff Uni. I only ever heard good things but yeah. Also, speaking of friends-they all come from England or abroad and they weren't exactly impressed with Cardiff. It was always sold as a place where you have plenty to do etc. Thinking back on it, for undergrad I loved it and it seemed bigger and exciting etc but now, I can see what they mean. Love to go there for shopping don't get me wrong but in terms of things to do, for me (and my friends), there's not really a lot? But it depends what you make of it I guess. I always struggled to get a job during uni in Cardiff. However, a friend of mine never did so I think, again, it depends. Sorry if this isn't helpful in the slightest!
No, this helps a bit actually. It certainly paints some picture
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by saish20)

I know that the overall ranking of Sheffield is better than Cardiff however I would appreciate if you guys help in deciding between them in terms of academics, employability and cost of living.
Reputation wise Sheffield is stronger then Cardiff, that said Cardiff is by no means a bad uni its still very reputable. I really dont think there's a lot in it TBH.

Perhaps look at if each department has departmental careers service, look at the modules etc. and if you prefer either city.
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Both are Russell Group unis so are considered in the top tier of UK universities. Both are wonderful cities for students. Both have similar cost of living - check out accommodation rental in Cardiff and in Sheffield. I know Sheffield better having lived there so I am biased towards Sheffield but really you cannot go wrong whichever uni you choose.
Purple_Giraffe
Rep:
?
(Original post by mike23mike)
Both are Russell Group unis so are considered in the top tier of UK universities. Both are wonderful cities for students. Both have similar cost of living - check out accommodation rental in Cardiff and in Sheffield. I know Sheffield better having lived there so I am biased towards Sheffield but really you cannot go wrong whichever uni you choose.
I havent paid deposit yet and so haven't finalized accommodation, do you think for a course that begins in October I would be able to secure accomodation?
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I havent paid deposit yet and so haven't finalized accommodation, do you think for a course that begins in October I would be able to secure accomodation?
The courses in UK start with Freshers Week (orientation week) mid-Sept (14th Sept) and lectures start in earnest the week after (21st Sept). So you have 2 months to secure accommodation. Firstly, select a uni. Then see if they will be running face-to-face classes or if classes will be online. If its the latter then you will have time to secure accommodation. If it's the former. use the many sites advertising student accommodation to secure accommodation.
Purple_Giraffe
Rep:
?
(Original post by mike23mike)
The courses in UK start with Freshers Week (orientation week) mid-Sept (14th Sept) and lectures start in earnest the week after (21st Sept). So you have 2 months to secure accommodation. Firstly, select a uni. Then see if they will be running face-to-face classes or if classes will be online. If its the latter then you will have time to secure accommodation. If it's the former. use the many sites advertising student accommodation to secure accommodation.
Thanks Mike!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (165)
25%
Better than expected (133)
20.15%
Worse than expected (362)
54.85%

Watched Threads