Sadz_x
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi guys,

I’ve been seeing this guy who stays at private rented house share and I’ve been seeing him on and off. So he works 4 days a week and has 4 days off so On his last day of work I’ll usually surprise him and go see him, and I’ll chill with him during the evening before going back to my place. Bare in mind I’m close with his house mates as well.

So the landlord came up today as we were asleep and he started kicking off saying we’ve breached the contract and I owe him £300 because I’ve been staying there??? First of all I only stayed some nights as a surprise and majority of the time I come see him until the evening before going back to mine or surprising him during the day! My boyfriend is also messy but that’s nothing to do with me, he’s been messy IN HIS ROOM due to being really low with stress and ****. That’s also why I visit him. Any opinions on this matter?
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Boyfriend needs to check his contract and see what it says about overnight visitors.
pepsimaxcherry
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Read the contract between the landlord and your boyfriend. When he agreed to stay in the house share, he would’ve agreed to certain terms. Therefore if having people stay round is stated as not allowed in the contract, then yes you have breached the rules. Make sure to check this before taking further action.

As for your boyfriend, he needs to show a bit more respect to where he’s staying. A bit of messiness is fine but he can be liable to be evicted if the landlord sees the mess as not being a valuable tenant. Best thing to do is help him clean up a bit and keep the house in good shape.

Best thing to do is read the contract and ask your boyfriend what was agreed when he moved in. If no guests was something that the landlord had said, then unfortunately he is in the right.

The £300 fine for this seems weird to me? I suppose the landlord is seeing it as you paying rent for the time you’ve stayed. Again, check the contract and agreed terms.

Best of luck!
Sadz_x
Rep:
?
Hey guys thanks for the reply! It says he’s allowed overnight guests I just feel like he’s wanting to believe I’ve been staying over every night when I haven’t been. And I have been helping my boyfriend but when my boyfriend was showing me around the house today, I’m not even exaggerating, it wasn’t even that messy. 2 tubs of sauce that’s genuinely it!!! And I barely stay over and the contract does say he can have overnight guests so I don’t get why he’s charging me 🤦🏻*♀️
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sadz_x)
Hey guys thanks for the reply! It says he’s allowed overnight guests I just feel like he’s wanting to believe I’ve been staying over every night when I haven’t been. And I have been helping my boyfriend but when my boyfriend was showing me around the house today, I’m not even exaggerating, it wasn’t even that messy. 2 tubs of sauce that’s genuinely it!!! And I barely stay over and the contract does say he can have overnight guests so I don’t get why he’s charging me 🤦🏻*♀️
Provide proof that you don’t stay over all the time. If you work, show him your hours of when he’s accusing you of staying over etc.

Challenge the landlord respectfully and ask politely why you are being charged. Get to the bottom of why he reacted like he did.

As long as nothing is stated in the contract regarding you staying as being wrong or not allowed, he is not liable to fine you.

However, if you are staying over often, you are staying in his property so I can see why he’d try to charge you rent.

I’d contact the landlord politely and ask for confirmation on why you’re being charged. Also ask exactly why the charge is £300 and if you paid it, what would you be paying for!

Sadz_x
Rep:
?
(Original post by pepsimaxcherry)
Provide proof that you don’t stay over all the time. If you work, show him your hours of when he’s accusing you of staying over etc.

Challenge the landlord respectfully and ask politely why you are being charged. Get to the bottom of why he reacted like he did.

As long as nothing is stated in the contract regarding you staying as being wrong or not allowed, he is not liable to fine you.

However, if you are staying over often, you are staying in his property so I can see why he’d try to charge you rent.

I’d contact the landlord politely and ask for confirmation on why you’re being charged. Also ask exactly why the charge is £300 and if you paid it, what would you be paying for!

Thank you for this it’s annoying because half the time I’m just there to help tidy up and visit, I stay with my mate 100% of the time. According to him the 300 is dual occupancy but I DONT STAY LIKE THAT it’s honestly so stressing because I have my own place and I can’t afford to give money out like that, especially if it specifically says guests are allowed to stay for 2 nights a week. Half the time I don’t even stay we just go back to mine ://
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you for this it’s annoying because half the time I’m just there to help tidy up and visit, I stay with my mate 100% of the time. According to him the 300 is dual occupancy but I DONT STAY LIKE THAT it’s honestly so stressing because I have my own place and I can’t afford to give money out like that, especially if it specifically says guests are allowed to stay for 2 nights a week. Half the time I don’t even stay we just go back to mine ://
I think if you can prove this, he is not liable to fine you. Obviously I haven’t read the contract agreement or met the landlord so I’m just going off basics haha!

I’d get into contact with the landlord and point out that you’ve read the contract and have not breached any agreements. If you can find any sort of proof that you don’t stay as often as he thinks you do, that will help your case!

NonIndigenous
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Doesn't need to do any of this.

Innocent until proven otherwise. It's the landlord's job to prove this is the case, not hers.

Though the fallout could be that he takes it out on her boyfriend instead in some way in the future, as he is the landlord and has authority in this situation. Like, the landlord could just evict her boyfriend with a months' notice, no explanation necessary.

My concern (from experience) is if you start arguing with types like this landlord who twist the facts, and only listen to what they want to hear... no matter what evidence you give them it will likely just provoke them even more, instead of achieving the intended purpose (like it would with a normal, rational human being).

My next step in your shoes would be to meet half-way, and provide him some basic evidence that you do not stay there more than 2 nights a week. If he brushes that aside and still acts cocky, ignore him and demand that he produce his own evidence, instead otherwise f off. Would also in that instance recommend your boyfriend to brace himself for some sort of retaliation, and maybe get ahead of it by finding elsewhere to live.
Last edited by NonIndigenous; 4 weeks ago
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by NonIndigenous)
My next step in your shoes would be to meet half-way, and provide him some basic evidence that you do not stay there more than 2 nights a week. If he brushes that aside and still acts cocky, ignore him and demand that he produce his own evidence instead otherwise f off. Would also in that instance recommend your boyfriend to brace himself for some sort of retaliation, and maybe get ahead of it by finding elsewhere to live.
Totally agree but I’m pointing out that if it does escalate at least she’s ready with factual evidence that he’s in the wrong! I’m not saying she has to do it but from experience of friends who’ve gone through this, it’s always best to have a backup if like you say it gets out of hand! Should’ve made that clearer sorry!
DarthRoar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You've had some interesting responses here.

First, you are absolutely not required to pay any money to the landlord. You signed no contract with them, thus the landlord has no grounds to ask for such a payment.

Your friend may be required to pay a fine. There are 2 requirements for this fine to be legally enforceable. First, it must be explicitly stated in his tenancy contract. Second, you must be staying for significant periods of time, i.e. several days. A day visit, or even a few overnight visits, is permitted under the tenancy rights granted by law.

In essence, you have no legal obligation to pay any money. Your friend might, if it says so in their contract and you've been staying for long periods, which you haven't. So tell the landlord to pound sand.
DarthRoar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Read the contract between the landlord and your boyfriend. When he agreed to stay in the house share, he would’ve agreed to certain terms. Therefore if having people stay round is stated as not allowed in the contract, then yes you have breached the rules. Make sure to check this before taking further action.

As for your boyfriend, he needs to show a bit more respect to where he’s staying. A bit of messiness is fine but he can be liable to be evicted if the landlord sees the mess as not being a valuable tenant. Best thing to do is help him clean up a bit and keep the house in good shape.

Best thing to do is read the contract and ask your boyfriend what was agreed when he moved in. If no guests was something that the landlord had said, then unfortunately he is in the right.

The £300 fine for this seems weird to me? I suppose the landlord is seeing it as you paying rent for the time you’ve stayed. Again, check the contract and agreed terms.

Best of luck!
Hello, I'd kindly ask that you don't levy advice on issues you clearly have no legal understanding about.

1. Landlords cannot prohibit guests, as that would violate the tenant's right to quiet enjoyment of the property.

2. A tenant can not be evicted for 'messiness'. They can be as messy as they please, so long as they aren't damaging the property.

3. Landlords cannot neccessarily fine you whatever they like, even if it is stated in the tenancy contract. Any type of fine needs to be backed up by established legal precident. I'm not sure whether this type is or not, but there's a good chance it isn't.

4. It would absolutely be on the landlord to prove that the guest was staying for significant periods, as it is they who are asserting that claim.

Thanks.
Last edited by DarthRoar; 4 weeks ago
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DarthRoar)
Hello, I'd kindly ask that you don't levy advice on issues you clearly have no legal understanding about.

1. Landlords cannot prohibit guests, as that would violate the tenant's right to quiet enjoyment of the property.

2. A tenant can not be evicted for 'messiness'. They can be as messy as they please, so long as they aren't damaging the property.

3. Landlords cannot neccessarily fine you whatever they like, even if it is stated in the tenancy contract. Any type of fine needs to be backed up by established legal precident. I'm not sure whether this type is or not, but there's a good chance it isn't.

Thanks.
Yes I agree, I did not word my answer correctly. However I am new and don’t know how to edit it 😂

By “messiness” I mean property damage in that if a landlord shows up to a messy and clearly damaged property - that’s a breach of contract. I did not word that correctly I apologise.

Landlords can’t prohibit guests, yes, but they can restrict number of nights guests can stay - which is the case in this contract. Legally, landlords cannot unreasonably prohibit guests from entering a rental property or charge a fee for having guests over. They can however put in the terms of the lease rules that relate to the tenant’s rights on guests. If a tenant states in the lease they only want guests staying ..... the tenant is liable to write or contact the landlord and ask for authorisation to do so. Again a mistake on my wording - apologies.

And yes they cannot fine unnecessarily but legally they own the property and a tenant signs the agreement on what they pay for - hence why I stress to check the contract. This does however need legal backup, I agree.

I apologise on my response, it was worded incorrectly lol
Last edited by pepsimaxcherry; 4 weeks ago
Sadz_x
Rep:
?
Honestly thank you all for your replies and help it means a lot! I don’t know much about all this however I do know when someone is taking the mick especially the landlord. He came out of the blue whilst my boyfriend was asleep with no notice on a Saturday morning after long shifts, and he said to me im committing theft by staying over?? I stayed over once or twice, I’m sorry what am I thieving. He gave an example about going to a shop and not paying for a 35p drink... I’m sorry how’s that the same as lying and making me pay £300? I’m my boyfriends guarantor as well but that’s only if he’s not paying any of the rent or damaging the property. He’s not done any of that whatsoever and he’s paid his rent on time so
Sadz_x
Rep:
?
Plus the room isn’t the greatest itself I mean, it’s not even painted fully but we didn’t complain
DoritoEvie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Honestly thank you all for your replies and help it means a lot! I don’t know much about all this however I do know when someone is taking the mick especially the landlord. He came out of the blue whilst my boyfriend was asleep with no notice on a Saturday morning after long shifts, and he said to me im committing theft by staying over?? I stayed over once or twice, I’m sorry what am I thieving. He gave an example about going to a shop and not paying for a 35p drink... I’m sorry how’s that the same as lying and making me pay £300? I’m my boyfriends guarantor as well but that’s only if he’s not paying any of the rent or damaging the property. He’s not done any of that whatsoever and he’s paid his rent on time so
Doesn't the landlord need to give at least 24 hours notice to the tenants before accessing the property???
Sadz_x
Rep:
?
That’s what I thought!!! I live in student halls and they give me 1 weeks notice
Sadz_x
Rep:
?
So after waking my boyfriend up on a Saturday morning and giving him crap, this is the text he just sent him

I will have a think about what we do now

As by now I remove people after 1 warning as my time is very expensive and if I am monitoring any problems that costs me.

So tell me what fee you’re paying for the days your partner stayed

And I will be working out the minimum expectation and inspection if you remain

Important to Note:
This is the last warning - if we do any inspection and the place is not clean we issue cleaning charges and Immediate removal process begins.

Bare in mind my boyfriend has been there 2 weeks (probably less) with no problems and is still trying to force money out of me????
Sadz_x
Rep:
?
Name:  07AD4B1B-9C13-412C-841D-9580A5723D5E.jpg.jpeg
Views: 5
Size:  6.8 KBName:  4FE07624-2129-41D3-A626-90C3F31BCB6C.jpg.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  9.7 KBName:  82909524-C47B-420A-A482-F0CE38587381.jpg.jpeg
Views: 4
Size:  16.1 KBName:  CB51C283-63A4-490E-BB1E-6E247BC3779B.jpg.jpeg
Views: 4
Size:  7.4 KB

A broken blind, awful flooring and the walls and he’s coming at us?
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A broken blind, awful flooring and the walls and he’s coming at us?
Yes, but to be fair your guy decided to move in and should have signed something about the condition of the room.
Sadz_x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Surnia)
Yes, but to be fair your guy decided to move in and should have signed something about the condition of the room.
Actually it’s gotten worse since we moved in it was never like that at the start. When the landlord approached my bf vía spare room the condition was never this bad. We know It wasnt fully painted and we allowed the floorboard but he didn’t really let us move around the room and failed to mention the broken blind and the walls. It’s gotten worse and worse
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (87)
25.29%
Better than expected (73)
21.22%
Worse than expected (184)
53.49%

Watched Threads