Help pls - Are intramural glands and extramural glands classified as exocrine glands?

Watch
Kalabamboo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Is the above correct and why is that the case? And can endocrine glands be either intramural or extramural?

I get that:
Intramural gland = in a wall, Extramural gland = outside a wall

However, some examples of exocrine intramural/extramural and endocrine intramural/extramural glands will really help to put things into perspective.

Basically, I am just trying to see if there is a link between a gland being endocrine or exocrine and intramural or extramural. I cannot find anything on the internet to explain this relationship.

Could someone please help me? Thanks a million
Jpw1097
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Kalabamboo)
Is the above correct and why is that the case? And can endocrine glands be either intramural or extramural?

I get that:
Intramural gland = in a wall, Extramural gland = outside a wall

However, some examples of exocrine intramural/extramural and endocrine intramural/extramural glands will really help to put things into perspective.

Basically, I am just trying to see if there is a link between a gland being endocrine or exocrine and intramural or extramural. I cannot find anything on the internet to explain this relationship.

Could someone please help me? Thanks a million
Exocrine glands are glands that secrete their contents onto an epithelial surface by way of a duct. Endocrine glands are glands that secrete hormones into the blood stream.
Intramural/extramural refers to the location of the gland i.e. is it located in the wall of an organ or not. Intramural glands include the submucosal glands in the GI tract (e.g. Brunner’s glands in the duodenum). Extramural glands refer to glands such as the pancreas, salivary glands. Both extramural and intramural glands refer to exocrine glands.

The terms intramural/extramural glands are not used very often in my experience.

So glands can be endocrine or exocrine. Exocrine glands can be further subdivided into intramural (within the walls of the GI tract) and extramural (not within the walls of the GI tract).
Kalabamboo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jpw1097)
Exocrine glands are glands that secrete their contents onto an epithelial surface by way of a duct. Endocrine glands are glands that secrete hormones into the blood stream.
Intramural/extramural refers to the location of the gland i.e. is it located in the wall of an organ or not. Intramural glands include the submucosal glands in the GI tract (e.g. Brunner’s glands in the duodenum). Extramural glands refer to glands such as the pancreas, salivary glands. Both extramural and intramural glands refer to exocrine glands.

The terms intramural/extramural glands are not used very often in my experience.

So glands can be endocrine or exocrine. Exocrine glands can be further subdivided into intramural (within the walls of the GI tract) and extramural (not within the walls of the GI tract).
Brilliant!! Thanks a lot for clearing this up for me!!! I get it now Made my day hahaha
Kalabamboo
Rep:
?

Many thanks for the help. Just one thing came across my mind. The pancreas is both an endocrine (because of the islets) and an exocrine gland. So why do we refer to the pancreas as extramural when it has an endocrine function also? Is it just because it is mainly an exocrine gland?
Jpw1097
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Kalabamboo)
Many thanks for the help. Just one thing came across my mind. The pancreas is both an endocrine (because of the islets) and an exocrine gland. So why do we refer to the pancreas as extramural when it has an endocrine function also? Is it just because it is mainly an exocrine gland?
You’re right, the pancreas has both endocrine and exocrine functions. Extramural refers to the exocrine function of the pancreas.
Kalabamboo
Rep:
?
You’re right, the pancreas has both endocrine and exocrine functions. Extramural refers to the exocrine function of the pancreas.
Thanks a lot!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (17)
34.69%
No (32)
65.31%

Watched Threads