Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering how easy it is to get a job if you're only going to be available during term time, especially when Christmas is one of the busiest times of year for retailers?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

It may be worth asking your uni if there are any jobs - I've got a job next year working for the uni as a support worker. It's flexible and means that you're not expected to be there during holidays. Another possibility is enquiring at the big stores who have a branch at your hometown too - it may be that you could work back home during the holidays?

Hope this helps
    xxx.

ReputationRep:
    places will take on people who can only work term time, some place more easier then others like bar work, your uni may have term work, working in the su or places on campus run by the su, most places be understandable, plus if you are luckly they can transfer you over to a local shop nearer to home, when term is up

ReputationRep:
    sainsburys are pretty good at only letting you work term time. i know a few friends that do it

ReputationRep:
    I've got this problem too
    I'm really gutted about it to be honest, as I'm so scared I won't be able to find work.
    Being able to stay at Uni depends on me working at least 10+ hours a week, maybe more.
    Fingers crossed I can find something decent before its too late!

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for bar work with the uni.

ReputationRep:
    If you go on jobcentreplus then it has a preference option and you can click term time?

You may find something

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, alot of places will know that students do this. If you work for a chain company then you can sometimes work in your local branch when you are at home.

I've never had a job before and i'm worried that people will be reluctant to take me on. Do you think I will be able to find work ok? I'm applying to Tescos, Sainsburys, Wetherspoons, Vodka rev and 2 pubs.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.