username5308830
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
hiya! i was just about to begin making some flashcards for quotes for english lit. but... how many quotes do i do? what’s a good number of quotes to try and memorise and learn for the exams for the texts? and what about the poems? do i have to learn quotes for all of them, or just a few that collectively cover all themes? 🤔

thankyouuu! :hugs:
sassy sausages
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Try remember key quotes for plays what cover themes/ characters like for AIC you could have a quite from Sheila and use the same quote for age. The same with poems really- as long as you can go in depth with them you should be fine. Hope this helped
Raptor Jesus
Badges: 20
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ella’s words)
hiya! i was just about to begin making some flashcards for quotes for english lit. but... how many quotes do i do? what’s a good number of quotes to try and memorise and learn for the exams for the texts? and what about the poems? do i have to learn quotes for all of them, or just a few that collectively cover all themes? 🤔

my teacher said at least 3 key quotes should help with texts
for poems again just some key quotes

dont try to remember too much because the quotes may not be useful/need to remember other stuff, may be too stressful - just use quotes that can be used in any question being asked - like "vaulting ambition" from macbeth can be used in ur answer in any question given abt macbeth in the exam
Hermione23
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Honestly as many as you can. But don't just memorise the whole texts. Pick out quotes that you can analyse effectively, so your able to talk about character background, what it adds, context, literary technique etc. Find at least 5 for each character and then try quotes by themes and then possibly context (so for a Christmas carol it could be context around the poor).
I found writing them out repeatedly until they stuck was a good method- a bit boring but it worked.
neko no basu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ella’s words)

You don't really need that many quotes as long as you can analyse them in detail. Try to remember a couple of short ones that you can use for a number of themes. Sometimes people get carried away in essays and try to stuff in as many quotes as they can because they've learnt it and they want to show off to the examiner that they know the quote. But that won't get you far if you can't analyse the quotes and say why you've chosen them.

PEEL, point, evidence, explain, link back to the q, is a good structure to use and one you're probably already familiar with. So you can use the quotes in the 'evidence' bit of your PEEL structure.

I do always think that you should learn more quotes than you need though just because that gives you an advantage in the exam because you can pick which quotes fit better with the q rather than, "I only know 5 quotes so I must stuff them in even though it barely links to the question"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.13%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (368)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.46%

Watched Threads