pooja_s
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi,
I am an international student doing my masters in Biomedical Sciences.

Looks like I have to re-submit one of my assignments as I did not meet the expected criteria to pass the module. I have been asked to apply for a re-sit and re-submit my assessment in the same topic.

I had misunderstood the question asked the first time and had not realised until I received an email from my coordinator a couple of days back. My results(for the second semester) are not out yet, but she has asked me to register for the re-sit.

I was also told that my marks will be capped at 50% and I know that this will definitely affect my overall; although, I have all merit and one distinction in my other modules from the autumn semester. I have not been assessed for my dissertation yet and it is ongoing(submission at the end of august).

Right now, I am worried about how this re-sit will be mentioned in my transcript(will it be mentioned as second attempt or the capped mark of 50% and that's it?) and would this hinder my progress in the field? (I want to take up a job in the industry and eventually move on to doing a PhD)
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by pooja_s)
Hi,
I am an international student doing my masters in Biomedical Sciences.

Looks like I have to re-submit one of my assignments as I did not meet the expected criteria to pass the module. I have been asked to apply for a re-sit and re-submit my assessment in the same topic.

I had misunderstood the question asked the first time and had not realised until I received an email from my coordinator a couple of days back. My results(for the second semester) are not out yet, but she has asked me to register for the re-sit.

I was also told that my marks will be capped at 50% and I know that this will definitely affect my overall; although, I have all merit and one distinction in my other modules from the autumn semester. I have not been assessed for my dissertation yet and it is ongoing(submission at the end of august).

Right now, I am worried about how this re-sit will be mentioned in my transcript(will it be mentioned as second attempt or the capped mark of 50% and that's it?) and would this hinder my progress in the field? (I want to take up a job in the industry and eventually move on to doing a PhD)
You will have to ask your university if their transcripts carry the number of attempts on them (some do, some don't). If you want to do a PhD in the UK, a merit is usually the minimum requirement at master's level for entry.
pooja_s
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
You will have to ask your university if their transcripts carry the number of attempts on them (some do, some don't). If you want to do a PhD in the UK, a merit is usually the minimum requirement at master's level for entry.
Cheers, this helps. Due to COVID19, we have a new scheme called the Safety Net, this prevents me from dropping a grade class.
It is applied if I pass all modules and no matter what my grade is, it will not drop from the overall I had in my first semester (which is merit).
Good to know that I still have a chance of pursuing my career in the same field.
But will it stop me from getting a job too? As I understand I will have competitors and they would have done much better than I did in exams.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by pooja_s)
Cheers, this helps. Due to COVID19, we have a new scheme called the Safety Net, this prevents me from dropping a grade class.
It is applied if I pass all modules and no matter what my grade is, it will not drop from the overall I had in my first semester (which is merit).
Good to know that I still have a chance of pursuing my career in the same field.
But will it stop me from getting a job too? As I understand I will have competitors and they would have done much better than I did in exams.
It depends on how competitive the job market is, but generally they typically value experience and transferable skills over exact marks for modules.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads