Fez's Daily Debate: Would Rishi Sunak be a better prime minister than Boris Johnson?

Watch
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago

This one isn't super original but I've had it on my Post-it of debate topics since the start of the week so here goes:

Would Rishi Sunak be a better prime minister than Boris Johnson?

Also, would Keir Starmer be more or less likely to win an election if he were up against Sunak? And is Rishi Sunak's popularity likely to last out the recession?
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes of course. Indeed there are probably 50 million or more people in the UK who would be better. He would be full-time for a start.
Nabu123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is it just me who doesnt like the way he talks. I don't mean to be rude or anything but he just has a real weird voice to me, like where is from lol.
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sunaks popularity will plummet the moment the Tories go for Austerity round 2, but for the moment he'd be more likely to beat Starmer than Johnson, because literally all Ser Forensic Haircut QC has going for him is this idea that he's a professional adult, and Sunak doesn't have the same buffoon image as Johnson (That Starmer has already started to drive away labours modern electoral coalition chasing the racist grans in Burnley, who he'll then lose the moment they realise he was the main driver behind the second referendum policy that lost the election for labour, means he'll likely lose anyway).
Calibrated.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes for the simple fact that he doesn't have that blundering idiot thing that so many Conservative supporters like about Johnson but makes him unfit for government.

As for his long term popularity, he has found the Conservative magic money forest and is giving out presents in a questionably scattershot fashion right now. It can't continue. His true test will be when we are in the real depth of the coming recession.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm not sure. Firstly, I find him a little smarmy - he comes off as too well polished to me. My other issue is that I'm not sure which ideas are purely his and whether his decisions have been at the behest of Boris and his advisers at Number 10. As for whether his popularity will outlive the recession, I think this will depend on whether the economy recovers more quickly than it would have done had he not announced these massive spending initiatives, and whether he ends up drowning the country in debt it can barely repay.

Starmer vs Sunak would certainly be an interesting election. My key thought is that given Sunak's spending at the moment, I'm not sure people would think a Labour government is needed at the moment to 'undo Tory austerity' - we're in a situation of 'what Tory austerity?'
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Jesus no.

Making the money printer go brrrr is not, repeat NOT, leadership.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Jesus no.

Making the money printer go brrrr is not, repeat NOT, leadership.
I believe the question is inviting you to think about what sort of leader Sunak would make. Obviously being Chancellor is not leadership.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I stand by this videos assertion on the matter when it comes to political leaders;
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Sunaks popularity will plummet the moment the Tories go for Austerity round 2, but for the moment he'd be more likely to beat Starmer than Johnson, because literally all Ser Forensic Haircut QC has going for him is this idea that he's a professional adult, and Sunak doesn't have the same buffoon image as Johnson (That Starmer has already started to drive away labours modern electoral coalition chasing the racist grans in Burnley, who he'll then lose the moment they realise he was the main driver behind the second referendum policy that lost the election for labour, means he'll likely lose anyway).
I imagine there were some other factors that contributed to labour betting ***** slapped in the election, bar the second referendum policy. Such as having an unreconstructed politburo running the party into a wall and trashing the beliefs of its working class base.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
I stand by this videos assertion on the matter when it comes to political leaders;
Leaders are like nappies. When they get full of ****, change them.
EddieColston
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There is no way in hell middle England will accept an Indian boy as prime minister. Its just a total non starter with most people.
WokeCapitalism
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by EddieColston)
There is no way in hell middle England will accept an Indian boy as prime minister. Its just a total non starter with most people.
PRSOM

An Indian boy who used to work at Goldman Sachs. Im sure there's no conflict of interest.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by EddieColston)
I don't think that would be an issue. An afro-Carribbean there probably would be though.

Chancellors of the Exchequer who have become Prime Minister have tended to be some of the most lowly rated, certainly in modern times. Think of James Callaghan and Gordon Brown, or over the Irish Sea, Brian Cowan.

Though all would be better than Mr Johnson.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (35)
18.23%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
27.6%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (104)
54.17%

Watched Threads