The Student Room Group

What should I do about uni/future?

Hi, I really just can’t decide what to do with my future. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

I’d say personality-wise I’d prefer to work really hard, and be rewarded really well, rather than work/study standard hours and get standard rewards.

My original plan was to apply for business management at a lower RG uni (Grade requirements ABB), however during year 13 work as hard as possible and hopefully achieve around A*A*A, which I did start achieving. If so I’d take a year out, explore different routes and maybe apply for a more competitive uni course and hopefully work my way into banking or some other hard work, high reward industry. However I feel the lockdown and cancellation of exams has sort of just thrown this plan out the way. As in I’m not sure my calculated grades will necessarily reflect my ability, I think my most likely calculated grades will be around A*AB- ABB, for which I’d probably take the exams in October and have to take the year out thus losing the ability to just take a course this year, and I’m not exactly sure what I’d do in a gap year.

Furthermore, I feel like I’ve chosen the wrong subjects, I study History, Politics, Business. Since my A level choices, I’ve grown way more interested in economics and have also learnt some coding, and feel as though I should have chosen Maths, and maybe applied for economics/computer science at Uni. I know some unis do foundation courses, but sometimes having an interest in something and actually studying it intensely can be different and so I’m not certain I would definitely enjoy it. Another idea was to go down an entrepreneurial route, utilising knowledge of coding to create apps/games and combine it with my knowledge of business which I find is my easiest subject in school(Could maybe join a top tech company too) However, one problem with doing a foundation year and then a degree in compsci, or economics is that if I do change my mind and decide I want to work in Business consultancy/Inv Banking or Law then I’d need to have gone to a target uni(UCL, Warwick, Oxbridge, LSE etc) to realistically get in and unfortunately, these unis don’t really do foundation courses unless you’re international.

Ultimately, in 5-10 years time, I want to be in a career position in which I can really put everything into it and come out well rewarded. And I don’t want to go down a route in which I feel I’m trapped and can’t achieve this. I understand that once I find a route I don’t need to follow it absolutely and that things will change, but I’d rather not move forward aimlessly and end up regretting decisions. I’m currently in year 13, getting results in about 5 weeks time, and unsure whether to start revising the subjects I don’t believe I’ll be given high grades in.

Any advice on what to do is greatly appreciated. Thanks
have you looked at apprenticeship
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by OW432
Hi, I really just can’t decide what to do with my future. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

I’d say personality-wise I’d prefer to work really hard, and be rewarded really well, rather than work/study standard hours and get standard rewards.

My original plan was to apply for business management at a lower RG uni (Grade requirements ABB), however during year 13 work as hard as possible and hopefully achieve around A*A*A, which I did start achieving. If so I’d take a year out, explore different routes and maybe apply for a more competitive uni course and hopefully work my way into banking or some other hard work, high reward industry. However I feel the lockdown and cancellation of exams has sort of just thrown this plan out the way. As in I’m not sure my calculated grades will necessarily reflect my ability, I think my most likely calculated grades will be around A*AB- ABB, for which I’d probably take the exams in October and have to take the year out thus losing the ability to just take a course this year, and I’m not exactly sure what I’d do in a gap year.

Furthermore, I feel like I’ve chosen the wrong subjects, I study History, Politics, Business. Since my A level choices, I’ve grown way more interested in economics and have also learnt some coding, and feel as though I should have chosen Maths, and maybe applied for economics/computer science at Uni. I know some unis do foundation courses, but sometimes having an interest in something and actually studying it intensely can be different and so I’m not certain I would definitely enjoy it. Another idea was to go down an entrepreneurial route, utilising knowledge of coding to create apps/games and combine it with my knowledge of business which I find is my easiest subject in school(Could maybe join a top tech company too) However, one problem with doing a foundation year and then a degree in compsci, or economics is that if I do change my mind and decide I want to work in Business consultancy/Inv Banking or Law then I’d need to have gone to a target uni(UCL, Warwick, Oxbridge, LSE etc) to realistically get in and unfortunately, these unis don’t really do foundation courses unless you’re international.

Ultimately, in 5-10 years time, I want to be in a career position in which I can really put everything into it and come out well rewarded. And I don’t want to go down a route in which I feel I’m trapped and can’t achieve this. I understand that once I find a route I don’t need to follow it absolutely and that things will change, but I’d rather not move forward aimlessly and end up regretting decisions. I’m currently in year 13, getting results in about 5 weeks time, and unsure whether to start revising the subjects I don’t believe I’ll be given high grades in.

Any advice on what to do is greatly appreciated. Thanks

You can get into business without having to go to one of those five unis, work experience and internships that you do while at uni can make u just as employable so don’t discount the computer science degree with foundation year. If considering the foundation year u also wouldn’t need to resit and if u have done these things and they are interesting to you then it seems like a good option more so than just doing economics or something at LSE just because you think it will get you a better job, irs better to study the thing you have an interest in, because then you will enjoy it more and be more likely to undertake the required extra curricular things that will help u get a job
Reply 3
Original post by iracundus
You can get into business without having to go to one of those five unis, work experience and internships that you do while at uni can make u just as employable so don’t discount the computer science degree with foundation year. If considering the foundation year u also wouldn’t need to resit and if u have done these things and they are interesting to you then it seems like a good option more so than just doing economics or something at LSE just because you think it will get you a better job, irs better to study the thing you have an interest in, because then you will enjoy it more and be more likely to undertake the required extra curricular things that will help u get a job

Thanks for the reply. For the top 5 unis I mean for getting into IB or big 3 Consultancy as these organisations often hire based off uni prestige.

I’d say overall I have pretty wide interests. It’s not necessarily that I wouldn’t like to do an economics or business or degree. My parents recommend I just do the business degree at the lower RG uni, but I’m unsure whether this is the best path forward in keeping my options open. I’m not sure if I’d really enjoy or hate a computer science degree. However I also don’t want to regret going to a lower uni if I decide I want to get into IB or consultancy.
Original post by OW432
Thanks for the reply. For the top 5 unis I mean for getting into IB or big 3 Consultancy as these organisations often hire based off uni prestige.

I’d say overall I have pretty wide interests. It’s not necessarily that I wouldn’t like to do an economics or business or degree. My parents recommend I just do the business degree at the lower RG uni, but I’m unsure whether this is the best path forward in keeping my options open. I’m not sure if I’d really enjoy or hate a computer science degree. However I also don’t want to regret going to a lower uni if I decide I want to get into IB or consultancy.

You can still get into these things if u go to a reasonably good uni, yes they higher lots from the top unis but many of these companies run aptitude tests and have other indicators, I would say computer science is better than a business degree in terms of options, an economics degree is also likely better than a business degree. At the end of the day pick what you think is best for you I’m just saying don’t limit urself by the idea u want to work for one of these big companies the reality is even some ppl in top unis won’t be hired by them (aptitude test scores and interview not being good enough) and so it’s a real lottery anyway so having this goal is fine but if u pick ur degree only to get this it’s dangerous bcz if u don’t get one of those jobs then why have u even done the degree u picked? That’s why it’s best to pick a degree in the subject u like the most at a uni u r happy to study at feel at home at, as long as the uni is decently reputable then you will do fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending