The Student Room Group

nmr question

how come for the protons labelled b, the splitting pattern is a singlet and not a triplet. since it is next to a ch2 groupnmr question.jpg
Reply 1
because the carbon above it is attached to an OH group and no other hydrogens I'm pretty sure
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by krunker555
because the carbon above it is attached to an OH group and no other hydrogens I'm pretty sure

But it's still adjacent to a carbon with 2 hydrogens on it, the proton on the OH would give a singlet peak, but I don't think it's the reason why the b group is a singlet
Original post by KiTt3n__1234
But it's still adjacent to a carbon with 2 hydrogens on it, the proton on the OH would give a singlet peak, but I don't think it's the reason why the b group is a singlet

what? no the b CH3 group is adjacent to the carbon that has no hydrogens bonded to it. It's adjacent to the same carbon that the OH group is adjacent to, hence it would show no splitting pattern.
Original post by dasda
how come for the protons labelled b, the splitting pattern is a singlet and not a triplet. since it is next to a ch2 groupnmr question.jpg

It's adjacent to a C with an OH group and a CH3 group hence only singlet. Whereas the proton in the middle carbon is adjacent to another proton (either the one above or the one below vice versa) hence this would give a doublet
Original post by dasda

The next carbon attached to b has no protons attached DIRECTLY to it, it has a hydroxy and methyl group, hence 0+1 = singlet:smile:
Reply 7
Thanks i understand
Reply 8
Original post by dasda
Thanks i understand

When looking for splitting, you're looking for H - C - C - H. If you haven't got that, you ain't got splitting.
Original post by krunker555
what? no the b CH3 group is adjacent to the carbon that has no hydrogens bonded to it. It's adjacent to the same carbon that the OH group is adjacent to, hence it would show no splitting pattern.

Oh you're right, I was looking at the diagram funny, apologies
Original post by KiTt3n__1234
Oh you're right, I was looking at the diagram funny, apologies

it's all good :smile:
also is this from UoN by any chance

Quick Reply

Latest