Turn on thread page Beta

Hey Guys,

I'm starting the IB in 8 days and I'm really nervous! :confused: I'm really excited aswell , but I've been hearing mixed reviews and it's really winding me up :eek: Some people say it's really rewarding, others that it's impossible! I've even heard rumours that lots of universities don't accept the IB, and I'm worried about keeping up with the workload. I also know that university places are really competitive, especially with the IB, and that I'll have to get really high grades to get onto a Psychology Degree course
    For the IB I'm taking English, History, Psychology (Higher) and Spanish, Maths and Biology (standard) What do you guys think? I've heard higher level history is reeeally hard, and since I'm not planning on going into history, do you guys think I should change it to standard level to save myself the extra work, and if so what should I switch up to higher? I've heard that if you take higher level spanish then you have to be almost fluent by the end of it!

I know this is a lot of stuff, and I'm probably just being silly. lol. so basically what i am asking any IBers out there is if you could go back to where I am right now, would you take the IB? and if so what would be your advice to get through it with good grades?

Thanks for reading and for any help you can give me.

ReputationRep:
    just chill
    you'll do fine. just do what the teachers tell you to do when they tell you to do it because otherwise... well lets just say i am going to be sleeping less than 5hrs for the 4th day in a row.. and i started school last monday.

seriously. dont procrastinate. you'll regret it.....

ReputationRep:
    I did the IB in school, and I've just finished my first year at uni. Personally, every uni I applied to offered me a place, the one i am going to asked for 34 points, which isn't really that much, and most of them offered lower, I think the IB is becoming more recognized so you should be fine.

Would I take the IB again if I was in your position? Definately, but thats just my opinion, a few people I know wouldn't. It really depends on what kind of person you are, I liked slacking off, so the IB was perfect for me, because its only really tough in the few weeks before exams when you need to revise. If you work well under pressure it will be a breeze. Ignore all the people who say you will have no social life or free time, if you study well, it doesn't need to take up much of your time.

History higher is supposedly hard, if you enjoy history go for it, if not then maybe reconsider. I took Bio higher, and it wasn't too bad, and its not that much harder than standard. About the Spanish, it depends on what type you are taking, if its B higher, its going to be easier than A2 higher, but yes, you will have to get pretty good.

I hope it helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask me anything

xx

ReputationRep:
    Personally - I found out too late that if I had taken A-levels, it would have been easier for me to get into a good university (I did get into a good one now too! but would've been easier to get into this one + with same efforts would have gotten into a better one).
    With IB I found that you learn alot of subjects which I am actually not interested in, one bit, for me this was the biggest demotivating factor, and in the end, the factor which meant that I wasn't able to get into the Uni of my choice:
    While i was predicted 775 in my highers, due to being predicted poorly in Standard level my 1st choice rejected me (highers were math,physics & econ, wanted to do aeronautical engineering).
    The IB has been rewarding to me though, as I truly think it's made me a very different person - however this is NOT what I thought while I was in the 2 years of the IB itself. It is not impossible, and especially with your subject combo, if you are more in tune with those subjects, you can score easy high marks.
    I would stay with History as your HL as it's more respected (relatively ofc, as Spanish HL is also hard) and is a better combo with Psych.
    As for your question.
    Not in a Zillion years would I go back to your position - the IB has been the two hardest years of my life, albeit, the hard stuff doesn't really start till about February of your 1st year, but wowowowow would I hate to go back to your position
    As for how to get out of it with good grades, my input is the following (from my experience):

-) Make sure that you are actively involved in any class participation that is going on. Make sure you are enthusiastic about every subject.

-) Teachers are there to help! If you dont understand anything, anything whatsoever, make sure you go and ask your teachers.

-) When you go back home, dont simply just do the homework - spend some time maybe reading your history book, or rewriting notes, or solving some math problems. Pick one subject, and spend at least 45mins on it every night. This sort of form you should do in your 1st year. In 2nd year, I would keep it about 1H30M every day, until January and then just revise like a beast

-) Learn the IB system. From around February of the 1st year, begin to trawl these forums for past papers and work on them. There is nothing like practise.

-) Work extra hard on the course works, as invariably they are what will get you that 7 instead of a 6 or even a 5.

-) When given a deadline that's due in maybe 2 weeks, dont start it in 13 days! Work on it slowly, and preferably have a draft ready within 10, show your teacher, refine it, and hand it in within 2 weeks.

If you need any further help, just PM me.

edit: after reading the post over mine.
    Note: What I said, is what you would be aiming for if you want 40+ points.

ReputationRep:
    dont worry, you will get grades that are worse than what you had predicted... happens to everyone, and then you will not have the grades that your unis requested, so you have to go into clearing...

wnt to avoid it? then do A-Levels, which is what i should hae done.

(Original post by TI-84)
    Personally - I found out too late that if I had taken A-levels, it would have been easier for me to get into a good university (I did get into a good one now too! but would've been easier to get into this one + with same efforts would have gotten into a better one).
    With IB I found that you learn alot of subjects which I am actually not interested in, one bit, for me this was the biggest demotivating factor, and in the end, the factor which meant that I wasn't able to get into the Uni of my choice:
    While i was predicted 775 in my highers, due to being predicted poorly in Standard level my 1st choice rejected me (highers were math,physics & econ, wanted to do aeronautical engineering).
    The IB has been rewarding to me though, as I truly think it's made me a very different person - however this is NOT what I thought while I was in the 2 years of the IB itself. It is not impossible, and especially with your subject combo, if you are more in tune with those subjects, you can score easy high marks.
    I would stay with History as your HL as it's more respected (relatively ofc, as Spanish HL is also hard) and is a better combo with Psych.
    As for your question.
    Not in a Zillion years would I go back to your position - the IB has been the two hardest years of my life, albeit, the hard stuff doesn't really start till about February of your 1st year, but wowowowow would I hate to go back to your position
    As for how to get out of it with good grades, my input is the following (from my experience):

-) Make sure that you are actively involved in any class participation that is going on. Make sure you are enthusiastic about every subject.

-) Teachers are there to help! If you dont understand anything, anything whatsoever, make sure you go and ask your teachers.

-) When you go back home, dont simply just do the homework - spend some time maybe reading your history book, or rewriting notes, or solving some math problems. Pick one subject, and spend at least 45mins on it every night. This sort of form you should do in your 1st year. In 2nd year, I would keep it about 1H30M every day, until January and then just revise like a beast

-) Learn the IB system. From around February of the 1st year, begin to trawl these forums for past papers and work on them. There is nothing like practise.

-) Work extra hard on the course works, as invariably they are what will get you that 7 instead of a 6 or even a 5.

-) When given a deadline that's due in maybe 2 weeks, dont start it in 13 days! Work on it slowly, and preferably have a draft ready within 10, show your teacher, refine it, and hand it in within 2 weeks.

If you need any further help, just PM me.

edit: after reading the post over mine.
    Note: What I said, is what you would be aiming for if you want 40+ points.
    Thank-you SO much. this is exactly the kind advice I'm looking for (and thank-you to all the people who i just haven't quoted. This is all brill advice! any more still VERY welcome though! and please let me know if you agree/disagree with anything said just so i can get a better idea if how valuble it is.
    Thanx again. this stuff is gold:yep: and good luck to everyone else doing the IB !

XxxX

ReputationRep:
    okay i did not see the hist HL and SL confusion....

HL history is EASIER than SL.
    i promise. our school doesnt even offer SL because of this. in SL you have less hours in class and you are expected to write 2essays instead of 3. 2 essays to show what you know... which isnt a lot. so it's more difficult to get a high grade, because with 3 essays you can show that you know more than in just 2 essays.

the teachers at our school are very grade orientated.. they'd do almost anything to raise averages...

and what TI-84 says is good advice. but you've also got to have a life. so plan wisely!!

and it is possible to get 40+. even me (with all my procrastination) is predicted that
    you'll do fine ^^
    if you need help with math or bio. dont hesitate to ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyeree)
    okay i did not see the hist HL and SL confusion....

HL history is EASIER than SL.
    i promise. our school doesnt even offer SL because of this. in SL you have less hours in class and you are expected to write 2essays instead of 3. 2 essays to show what you know... which isnt a lot. so it's more difficult to get a high grade, because with 3 essays you can show that you know more than in just 2 essays.

the teachers at our school are very grade orientated.. they'd do almost anything to raise averages...

and what TI-84 says is good advice. but you've also got to have a life. so plan wisely!!

and it is possible to get 40+. even me (with all my procrastination) is predicted that
    you'll do fine ^^
    if you need help with math or bio. dont hesitate to ask
    :p:
    Mind you, I'm one to talk, but I never did most of that.
    But a girl in my grade did and ended with a 44...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TI-84)
    :p:
    Mind you, I'm one to talk, but I never did most of that.
    But a girl in my grade did and ended with a 44...
    haha :P
    okay well i know my best friend didnt do much until february .. so she worked her ass off (literally.. i was restricted to 30 min phone calls once every 2-3days) and got 40 points.

so anything's possible. if you havent been totally dead in class and if you take good notes. or if you can steal good notes from someone else ;P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyeree)
    haha :P
    okay well i know my best friend didnt do much until february .. so she worked her ass off (literally.. i was restricted to 30 min phone calls once every 2-3days) and got 40 points.

so anything's possible. if you havent been totally dead in class and if you take good notes. or if you can steal good notes from someone else ;P
    I found though, that if you work in stages, you'll do alot better.
    The girl I'm talking about, was partying throughout her IB exams as well, just that she had done enough in the last two years not to have to worry at all.
    P.S. Good luck with IB2, being predicted 40 and scoring 40 are two v. different things Hope you get it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TI-84)
    I found though, that if you work in stages, you'll do alot better.
    The girl I'm talking about, was partying throughout her IB exams as well, just that she had done enough in the last two years not to have to worry at all.
    P.S. Good luck with IB2, being predicted 40 and scoring 40 are two v. different things Hope you get it!
    :eek: partying throughout her EXAMS???
    i wish i could have the confidence to do that.....
    well i hope i will.. at least. im counting on it anyway
    but im confident that i will do well =) just need to study really really hard!

edit: i forgot to say thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nandika)
    Hey Guys,

I'm starting the IB in 8 days and I'm really nervous! :confused: I'm really excited aswell , but I've been hearing mixed reviews and it's really winding me up :eek: Some people say it's really rewarding, others that it's impossible! I've even heard rumours that lots of universities don't accept the IB, and I'm worried about keeping up with the workload. I also know that university places are really competitive, especially with the IB, and that I'll have to get really high grades to get onto a Psychology Degree course
    In my GCSE's I got 7 A*'s and 3 A's and for the IB I'm taking English, History, Psychology (Higher) and Spanish, Maths and Biology (standard) What do you guys think? I've heard higher level history is reeeally hard, and since I'm not planning on going into history, do you guys think I should change it to standard level to save myself the extra work, and if so what should I switch up to higher? I've heard that if you take higher level spanish then you have to be almost fluent by the end of it!

I know this is a lot of stuff, and I'm probably just being silly. lol. so basically what i am asking any IBers out there is if you could go back to where I am right now, would you take the IB? and if so what would be your advice to get through it with good grades?

Thanks for reading and for any help you can give me.

Cheerz
    XxxX
    Hey

I started IB this August and let me tell you, it's a lot of reading, taking notes, and quizzes so far. And it's only been 5 days for me. :p: They are going to tell you a lot about the IB and all the work that you will need to complete. I've started on finding a topic for my EE. But every school handles it differently.

Btw, we have the same subjects. :p: I would definitely not suggest Spanish HL because only the Hispanics at my school do that and it's pretty tough too. History is a tough course by itself. The only different between HL and SL is basically a 3rd paper on the IB exam. So I say keep it as a HL. Psychology is really easy and I'm sure you'll have no problem. Remember IB is all quality not quantity.

Enjoy your days left becuase the next 2 years will be of utter work. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Grow some balls and fast. Cause if you are scared of even starting the IB, you will crumble like a broken biscuit.

Dont go to maths higher, cause you would of chosen that subject first of all if you were able to do it. Bio high i have heard is hard. History higher level isnt too hard. Its pretty close to standard level just with an extra paper and a few extra things you have to learn. Most kids who did standard History did identical work and classes as the higher levels, aside half a dozen lectures a year. depending on what level of spanish you have done before and what level spanish you are looking to do, that would be the only one that you should look at making a HL

ReputationRep:
    Ignore them, it's fine. It's easy as long as youre not an idiot.
    You've chosen easy subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I started today. Life seems harder but I will get more fun as long as I can cope with this. Both o us, let's be hard-working from now on.

(Original post by Samsoonie)
    I started today. Life seems harder but I will get more fun as long as I can cope with this. Both o us, let's be hard-working from now on.
    I agree. lol

What topics are you taking?

Good Luck!

Do stay in touch!

XxxX

ReputationRep:
    You need to relax lol..stressing will get you absolutely nowhere.

I see you have valid concerns about the IB and I'll see if I can sooth your ruffled feathers.

First off, your combo of subjects sounds pretty good. I'm just curious to know what you want to do in later life because taking math standard can be highly unnecessary especially if you're doing a subject like Law at university. Math studies is accepted by universities if you're doing a humanitarian subject because a high understanding of math is not required. Look into that

I took History HL and I got a 7. It is quite a demanding course but I found it VERY rewarding. It was definitely one of the more interesting subjects I took and although there is a lot of reading and essay writing involved you'll get used to it. Time management is essential to doing well in History though. That said, I still think it's possible to do well in History even if you did not work your hardest throughout the entire two years because the exam is quite easy to study for. You can basically pick and choose which topics you'd like to do in the exam because there are loads of questions and chances are you'll get one on the one you studied. So I'd advise you to stick with History HL.

Would I take IB again if I had to? Yes I would. However, I would only take it if I wasn't offered the choice between A-levels and IB. It has been mentioned in this thread that although IB is regarded highly by universities and is praised in British newspapers, it's a whole different story. I would actually say it's harder to get into a good university as an Ib student than an A-level student which is totally unfair but sadly reality.

Anyways..goodluck and if you have any questions don't hesitate to shoot them my way. Work hard, consistently and you should do fine.

ReputationRep:
    HEEY!! *high five* i am also going to be starting the IB programme this september (infact sept 1st)... and just like u... i am veeryyy nervous and anxious and AHHH! lol well done for ur gcse results... they're really good! i didn't get as good as u, i'm actually quite upset with my gcse results and im hoping they doin't affect me getting into the uni i want to get into... (i really want to study medicine in imperial college, its like my dream)... anyywayy.. i hope u do well ..

As for me, im taking arabic A2 (HL), Biology (HL), chemistry (HL) and History (SL), maths (SL) and English A2 (SL)

i dunno if im ready for this programme, its extremely demanding and i have to aim for a 38+ if i want to get into the uni i want.

Please can we stay in touch... cos i dont know many IB students...

THANKK U

ReputationRep:
    IM STARTING ON SEPT 1st TOOO.
    SOO NERVOUS BUT HAPPY.
    got so many info about the IB

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone! I start on the 8th September ahhh

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.