Tomas5841
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I am starting my A-levels in September and my College is offering a subject called "Criminology Applied Diploma" but I'm not sure what this means. Is it the same as "Level 3 WJEC Criminology"? Also if you take this subject how hard is it compared to your other A-Levels and subjects?
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yes it’s the same and no other examboard does it. How hard it is is relative to how you find it. Hopefully someone will be able to share their experiences with you of it
hope1279
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Tomas5841)
I am starting my A-levels in September and my College is offering a subject called "Criminology Applied Diploma" but I'm not sure what this means. Is it the same as "Level 3 WJEC Criminology"? Also if you take this subject how hard is it compared to your other A-Levels and subjects?
Hi there, I did the level 3 WJEC criminology and a levels law and sociology. I found it way easier than the a levels and I liked how you do 2 out of the 4 exams in first year because it takes some pressure off you in second year. Hope this helps
Tomas5841
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by hope1279)
Hi there, I did the level 3 WJEC criminology and a levels law and sociology. I found it way easier than the a levels and I liked how you do 2 out of the 4 exams in first year because it takes some pressure off you in second year. Hope this helps
Thank you so much. Also could you link me a website or something with all the topics and units and stuff because I’m not having much luck finding it. It would be greatly appreciated because I would like to get a little head start before September.
hope1279
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Tomas5841)
Thank you so much. Also could you link me a website or something with all the topics and units and stuff because I’m not having much luck finding it. It would be greatly appreciated because I would like to get a little head start before September.
I don't have a website for it but I've listed what's in each topic. Hope this helps

Units 2 and 4 are examined in a written paper like most traditional exams in the hall. In Units 1 and 3 there aren't any questions to answer as such but it says the AC heading like below. Units 1 and 3 are seen as the easiest because you already know exactly what you need to write for each AC before you've even seen the paper. You're even allowed to take your plans in with you with your structure on and reminders about everything you want to talk about. However, you need to make sure everything you write in these two is your own work or you use quote marks because if you write someone else's words you found online or in a textbook, you can get disqualified for plagiarism.

Unit One is split into two exams in first year. We did one in December and then one in January. This unit looks at different types of crimes, why they are committed and why some are underreported by victims. We also look at campaigns for change and why some change the law and why some don't. You then plan a campaign for an underreported crime and write about how you'd do it. We typed ours on computer but some colleges choose to write it. We had a 3 hour exam in one day and then a 5 hour exam split over two days. The three hour one includes AC1.1 Analysis different types of crime, AC1.2 Explain the reasons for unreported crime, AC1.3 Explain the consequences of unreported crime, AC1.4 Describe the media’s representation of crime, AC1.5 Explain the impact of media representation on the public’s perception of crime and AC1.6 Evaluate methods of collecting statistics about crime. The 5 hour exam includes AC2.1 Compare campaigns for change, AC2.2 Evaluate the effectiveness of media used in campaigns for change, AC3.1 Plan a campaign for change relating to crime, AC3.2 Design materials for use in your campaign for change and AC3.3 Justify your campaign for change.

Unit Two includes AC1.1 Criminal and Deviant Behaviour, AC1.2 Social Constructs of Criminality, AC2.1 Biological Theories for Criminality, AC2.2 Individual Theories of Criminality, AC2.3 Sociological Theories of Criminality, AC3.1 Analyse situations of criminality, AC3.2 Evaluate the effectiveness of criminological theories to explain causes of criminality, AC4.1 Assess the use of criminological theories in information policy development, AC4.2 Explain how social changes affect policy development and AC4.3 Discuss how campaigns affect policy making. You sit this exam in the summer of first year and its out of 75 marks in 1 hour 30 mins. This one includes a lot of theorist names and you learn traditional and modern explanations of why people commit crime including biological reasons, psychological reasons and sociological reasons.

Unit three includes AC1.1 Evaluate the effectiveness of the roles of personnel involved in criminal investigations, AC1.2 Access the usefulness of investigative techniques in criminal investigations, AC1.3 Explain how evidence is processed, AC1.4 Examine the rights of individuals in criminal investigations, AC2.1 Explain the requirements of the Crown Prosecution Service for prosecuting suspects, AC2.1 Describe the trial process, AC2.3 Understand rules in relation to the use of evidence in criminal trials, AC2.4 Access key influences affecting the outcome of criminal trials, AC2.5 Discuss the use of lay people in criminal cases, AC3.1 Examine information for validity and AC3.2 Draw conclusions from information. This is an 8 hour internal exam like unit 3 spilt over 2 days with four hours on each. In this unit you look at different personnel e.g. police, forensics, SOCO, pathologists and evaluate them. This is where you need to bring in case examples. For example if you were evaluating the police, you could use the case of George Floyd to show that some police are institutionally racist and took a life when their whole role is to protect it, therefore, they aren't useful. Using modern examples is really good but of course you can use older ones like the Birmingham six and Stephen Lawrence. In this unit you learn how a case goes from crime scene to court room and everything done in between.

Unit four includes AC1.1 Describe the processes used for law making, AC1.2 Describe the organisations of the criminal justice system (CJS) in England and Wales, AC1.3 Describe models of criminal justice, AC2.1 Explain forms of social control, AC2.2 Discuss the aims of punishment, AC2.3 Asses how forms of punishment meet the aims of punishment, AC3.1 Explain the role of agencies in social control, AC3.2 Describe the contribution of agencies to achieving social control, AC3.3 Examine the limitations of agencies in achieving social control and AC3.4 Evaluate the effectiveness of agencies in achieving social control.

Sorry this is so long. I got A's in units 1 and 2, we haven't got grades for unit 3 and I never sat 4 because of covid but if you've got any questions or want more info just let me know
haha2222
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't have a website for it but I've listed what's in each topic. Hope this helps

Units 2 and 4 are examined in a written paper like most traditional exams in the hall. In Units 1 and 3 there aren't any questions to answer as such but it says the AC heading like below. Units 1 and 3 are seen as the easiest because you already know exactly what you need to write for each AC before you've even seen the paper. You're even allowed to take your plans in with you with your structure on and reminders about everything you want to talk about. However, you need to make sure everything you write in these two is your own work or you use quote marks because if you write someone else's words you found online or in a textbook, you can get disqualified for plagiarism.

Unit One is split into two exams in first year. We did one in December and then one in January. This unit looks at different types of crimes, why they are committed and why some are underreported by victims. We also look at campaigns for change and why some change the law and why some don't. You then plan a campaign for an underreported crime and write about how you'd do it. We typed ours on computer but some colleges choose to write it. We had a 3 hour exam in one day and then a 5 hour exam split over two days. The three hour one includes AC1.1 Analysis different types of crime, AC1.2 Explain the reasons for unreported crime, AC1.3 Explain the consequences of unreported crime, AC1.4 Describe the media’s representation of crime, AC1.5 Explain the impact of media representation on the public’s perception of crime and AC1.6 Evaluate methods of collecting statistics about crime. The 5 hour exam includes AC2.1 Compare campaigns for change, AC2.2 Evaluate the effectiveness of media used in campaigns for change, AC3.1 Plan a campaign for change relating to crime, AC3.2 Design materials for use in your campaign for change and AC3.3 Justify your campaign for change.

Unit Two includes AC1.1 Criminal and Deviant Behaviour, AC1.2 Social Constructs of Criminality, AC2.1 Biological Theories for Criminality, AC2.2 Individual Theories of Criminality, AC2.3 Sociological Theories of Criminality, AC3.1 Analyse situations of criminality, AC3.2 Evaluate the effectiveness of criminological theories to explain causes of criminality, AC4.1 Assess the use of criminological theories in information policy development, AC4.2 Explain how social changes affect policy development and AC4.3 Discuss how campaigns affect policy making. You sit this exam in the summer of first year and its out of 75 marks in 1 hour 30 mins. This one includes a lot of theorist names and you learn traditional and modern explanations of why people commit crime including biological reasons, psychological reasons and sociological reasons.

Unit three includes AC1.1 Evaluate the effectiveness of the roles of personnel involved in criminal investigations, AC1.2 Access the usefulness of investigative techniques in criminal investigations, AC1.3 Explain how evidence is processed, AC1.4 Examine the rights of individuals in criminal investigations, AC2.1 Explain the requirements of the Crown Prosecution Service for prosecuting suspects, AC2.1 Describe the trial process, AC2.3 Understand rules in relation to the use of evidence in criminal trials, AC2.4 Access key influences affecting the outcome of criminal trials, AC2.5 Discuss the use of lay people in criminal cases, AC3.1 Examine information for validity and AC3.2 Draw conclusions from information. This is an 8 hour internal exam like unit 3 spilt over 2 days with four hours on each. In this unit you look at different personnel e.g. police, forensics, SOCO, pathologists and evaluate them. This is where you need to bring in case examples. For example if you were evaluating the police, you could use the case of George Floyd to show that some police are institutionally racist and took a life when their whole role is to protect it, therefore, they aren't useful. Using modern examples is really good but of course you can use older ones like the Birmingham six and Stephen Lawrence. In this unit you learn how a case goes from crime scene to court room and everything done in between.

Unit four includes AC1.1 Describe the processes used for law making, AC1.2 Describe the organisations of the criminal justice system (CJS) in England and Wales, AC1.3 Describe models of criminal justice, AC2.1 Explain forms of social control, AC2.2 Discuss the aims of punishment, AC2.3 Asses how forms of punishment meet the aims of punishment, AC3.1 Explain the role of agencies in social control, AC3.2 Describe the contribution of agencies to achieving social control, AC3.3 Examine the limitations of agencies in achieving social control and AC3.4 Evaluate the effectiveness of agencies in achieving social control.

Sorry this is so long. I got A's in units 1 and 2, we haven't got grades for unit 3 and I never sat 4 because of covid but if you've got any questions or want more info just let me know
Hi,
can you give examples of how to write paragraphs and some tips or advice doing the unit 1 exam

Thank you
hope1279
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by haha2222)
Hi,
can you give examples of how to write paragraphs and some tips or advice doing the unit 1 exam

Thank you
I think unit one is quite easy if you have a good structure. I'd recommend making a plan outlining everything you need to talk about e.g. for AC1.1 define the crime, typical victims and offenders (and reasons for this), high/low media coverage, a case study, link to the brief etc. Because you're allowed your plan in the exam you can work out your timings for each question and write them on your plan so you know when you need to move on. For the second half of the exam maybe try practicing making your different media types for potential campaign topics and see how long they take you because that's worth quiet a few marks. Good luck
_ohalea_
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi, i have the unit 1 exam in january and i am so confused about the campaign part,,, do we have to design our own campaign on a computer?? I chose domestic abuse but i am unsure of how to actually present it? if that makes any sense,,,
_ohalea_
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think unit one is quite easy if you have a good structure. I'd recommend making a plan outlining everything you need to talk about e.g. for AC1.1 define the crime, typical victims and offenders (and reasons for this), high/low media coverage, a case study, link to the brief etc. Because you're allowed your plan in the exam you can work out your timings for each question and write them on your plan so you know when you need to move on. For the second half of the exam maybe try practicing making your different media types for potential campaign topics and see how long they take you because that's worth quiet a few marks. Good luck
hi, i have the unit 1 exam in january and i am so confused about the campaign part,,, do we have to design our own campaign on a computer?? I chose domestic abuse but i am unsure of how to actually present it? if that makes any sense,,,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (75)
17.86%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (121)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (159)
37.86%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.38%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.1%

Watched Threads