J_central
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all,

I was forced by my school to take mocks for our UCAS Predictions online, unlike the rest of my friends I didn’t cheat (which I now regret). Coronavirus, though it’s no excuse has meant that I have been demotivated and slacking MAJORLY. I wasn’t properly engaging in the work, and that was my fault. However, I’d like to point out that this is uncharacteristic and took everyone (my friends, family, teachers, senior leadership) by surprise, I’m known for my work ethic, I go to school early, I leave school late, I always use my frees, I never skip lessons, and I’m currently running for head girl.

We did the exams, and I just got them back, the Grades I obtained were B,B,D (Philosophy, French, English) I want to take Philosophy with French, and Oxford wants A,A,A (This was my prediction based on GCSE’s)
If we had been in school for English, I would have gotten a B instead of a D, I know this because with barely any experience I was working at a solid C.
The school is obviously going to bump our results up slightly, as it’s year 12, so I suppose I will get A,A,C or A,A,B as a prediction to send of to universities. Either way, not good enough. Should I bother making an application??
iracundus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by J_central)
Hi all,

I was forced by my school to take mocks for our UCAS Predictions online, unlike the rest of my friends I didn’t cheat (which I now regret). Coronavirus, though it’s no excuse has meant that I have been demotivated and slacking MAJORLY. I wasn’t properly engaging in the work, and that was my fault. However, I’d like to point out that this is uncharacteristic and took everyone (my friends, family, teachers, senior leadership) by surprise, I’m known for my work ethic, I go to school early, I leave school late, I always use my frees, I never skip lessons, and I’m currently running for head girl.

We did the exams, and I just got them back, the Grades I obtained were B,B,D (Philosophy, French, English) I want to take Philosophy with French, and Oxford wants A,A,A (This was my prediction based on GCSE’s)
If we had been in school for English, I would have gotten a B instead of a D, I know this because with barely any experience I was working at a solid C.
The school is obviously going to bump our results up slightly, as it’s year 12, so I suppose I will get A,A,C or A,A,B as a prediction to send of to universities. Either way, not good enough. Should I bother making an application??
Unless ur eligible for access (aka u go to a really bad school) then probably not they don’t admit people with 3A* predicted sometimes so if u don’t meet the grade requirement u will almost inevitably be screened out immediately
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi all,

What were your GCSEs like? If your prediction isn't going to meet the minimum entry requirement, then it's a waste of a UCAS choice to be honest. BBD is pretty far off the mark, even with an expected increase up to, say ABC or something. Given most candidates will be at the A*A*A level, I think you'd be better off applying somewhere else where you have a more realistic chance of being offered a place.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi all,

If you really want to have a go at it, your best bet would almost certainly be to apply with achieved grades, post-A2. If you're not predicted the minimum grades required, you are highly unlikely to get to the interview stage which, in turn, means you wouldn't get an offer...
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi all,

Your school was somewhat foolish not to have systems in place to stop cheating.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If anything , Oxford offer holders are best known for their excellent work ethic. They are well into their work whether teachers are stood right over them watching or not. No lazy person gets in. If you have slackened off you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Goatie is right. Either don’t apply at all, or wait until your a2 results and see if you get the pre requisite grades before applying in earnest. Also you will have to do a lot of reading around the subject. Are you prepared to pull your socks up, big time?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi all,

Your friends didn't help themselves long term by cheating as there are likely to be mocks in school in September and anyway, if they are over predicted by the school they will just aim too high with unis and then not achieve the required grades on A level results day and get rejected last minute which is very stressful.

If you get predicted AAB or AAC I would apply to unis requiring those grades. However, if you were to achieve AAA in the real exams next September, you could always take a Year Out and apply to Oxford with achieved grades.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Prsom harrysbar
Kimberley270302
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If it’s any consolation, I got an offer from Oxford and in my year 12 mocks I got A* B B and then got UCAS prediction of A*AA. Of course what Oxford Mum said about work ethic is true but I definitely didn’t do as well as I could have in my mocks due to mental health/ just not putting my all into to it so it’s perfectly understandable that you were de-motivated during a time like this throughout year 13 my work ethic was actually terrible (so I’m a bit worried about results day but ehh). My point is that just wait for your predicted results to come- you may be surprised. For example my friend got a D in her mock but then got a UCAS predicted grade of A because I feel like her teachers could see that she tried and had put in effort throughout the year, so don’t fret! Just wait it out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (114)
25.85%
Better than expected (92)
20.86%
Worse than expected (235)
53.29%

Watched Threads