Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Is this normal?

I’m a final year med student.
Anonymous3245
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Probably. To them you’re just a student. And surgeons all have a god complex anyways so...p
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Nnahahahah)
Is this normal?

Wrong forum, I'll get it moved.

Don't take it personally, they even ignore their junior doc sometimes.
Anonymous3245
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why are you doing one thread about feeling ignored and another criticising those with more experience? That’s probably why they ignore you. They know what they’re doing.
Nnahahahah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
How am I criticising? I literally stood in the corner of a lap Chole today. I introduced myself to everyone but the surgeon didn’t even look at me once ://
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How am I criticising? I literally stood in the corner of a lap Chole today. I introduced myself to everyone but the surgeon didn’t even look at me once ://
This can happen, and it's not just surgeons. Physicians do it too. It's ok - make a note of what you observed and if you have any Qs then ask the registrar or another consultant who's more receptive.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah, sounds pretty normal.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is this normal?

Pretty much. Surgical ward rounds aren't known for being chatty occasions.

This is the classic med student on general surgery experience. Next stop: getting grilled on pre-clinical anatomy
Last edited by Democracy; 3 weeks ago
Jckc123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
sounds normal to me.

even as a junior F1 looking after surgical patients, the surgeons would even ignore questions relating to patient care or brush it aside.
I just ask the reg most of the time.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
£210 per day per student #valueformoney
ahorey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
completely normal to stand in the corner of theatre. You can actually move you know, yourself - as long as you don't touch anything sterile or get in their way/block the anathesatist they won't care. Maybe don't move in an ortho's theatre unless invited. They are particularly particular and rather volatile

When I watch 24hrs in ED type programmes we play "spot the med student" - mostly found in the corners of anything going on
Brachioradialis
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you've got to final year only having been ignored once, then honestly you've done well.
Nnahahahah
Rep:
?
I tried asking a question during ward rounds and he interrupted me half way and started talking to his junior about something else... then he grilled me on a few questions, then completely ignored me for the rest of the day. We only had three patients to see...
Anonymous3245
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I tried asking a question during ward rounds and he interrupted me half way and started talking to his junior about something else... then he grilled me on a few questions, then completely ignored me for the rest of the day. We only had three patients to see...
That’s what happens. If you can’t handle it then maybe it isn’t the career for you.
Tracey1995
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
This can happen, and it's not just surgeons. Physicians do it too. It's ok - make a note of what you observed and if you have any Qs then ask the registrar or another consultant who's more receptive.
They do it to student nursing staff as well as they usually concentrating on there patients they attending to on ward rounds.
Its nothing against any junior staff and as ecolier said any questions ask the registration or another consultant or even the senior ward sister in charge because they will defo answer your points .
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Dude, if they stop and actually do some teaching the ward round might go on for ages - perhaps even longer than 10 minutes!!

(Original post by Anonymous3245)
That’s what happens. If you can’t handle it then maybe it isn’t the career for you.
Lol wut.
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous3245)
:troll:
Nnahahahah
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
Lol wut.
We only had three patients to see? And he went for a break afterwards.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
We only had three patients to see? And he went for a break afterwards.
Surgical ward rounds are notoriously short. And as said, surgical ward rounds aren't really known to be chatty and they could be doing something else with their break, e.g. Dictating letters or doing admin work.

Don't get hung up on this one surgeon, as I said go and ask someone else if you have questions. If you don't get along with this person, it's not productive to keep ranting about it.

Just move on, you're a med student there, you'll be there for a few eeks at most and then (hopefully) you'll never see them again.
Last edited by ecolier; 3 weeks ago
Fermion.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m a radiographer and I always get ignored in surgery and when I don’t the surgeon always shouts “X-RAY!!” when he wants a view. That’s about the only conversation I get with surgeons and they’re all like that when they’re trying to concentrate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (64)
41.03%
Take autumn exams (54)
34.62%
Look for a job (4)
2.56%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.56%
Take a year out (21)
13.46%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed