Being poor and on a diet

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
As said by the title I can’t afford to go out and buy nice and healthy foods. And I still live with my parents so I eat the dinner that they make. Which is never healthy as they are poor too and can’t go out buying fresh healthy food all the time.

So any advice?
kkboyk
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
As said by the title I can’t afford to go out and buy nice and healthy foods. And I still live with my parents so I eat the dinner that they make. Which is never healthy as they are poor too and can’t go out buying fresh healthy food all the time.

So any advice?
Do you know the reason why they're struggling to buy healthier food? Eating healthy is far cheap. The problem is, people don't know how to and often won't want to invest time to learn. Buying vegetables, pulses and other staples are very cheap, provided that you're buying it from the right place (e.g. local green grocers and markets, Aldi, Lidl depending where you live). Some of them you can easily buy frozen so that it won't spoil quickly (spinach, peas, sweetcorn etc). It's also worth making a weekly meal plan so that you'll know what to buy and save money. If you bulk buy essentials such as canned stuff (e.g. chopped tomatoes, beans, chickpeas) you'll save loads in the long run. Avoid specific brands for specific products that cost a lot (e.g. heinz for ketchup and mayo). Meat will probably be the most expensive of your shopping, so I'd usually suggest buying frozen, as well as checking local butchers as they often are cheaper than supermarkets (supermarket premium range are often a lot more expensive). Avoid healthy brands and many 'organic' products: these are priced much higher and often not that much different than cheaper brands.

Some healthy and super cheap recipe:
Lentil soup
Chickpea coconut curry
Chicken, red pepper and olive cacciatore (I don't like olives, so I'd just replace it with something else, like potatoes etc, for the wine you can use beef broth with a bit of worcestershire sauce).
Spanish cauliflower rice (you can replace chorizo with any meat such a sausages, chicken and it'll work fine).

Some good example: how this family spend £20 a week on grocery. All in all, it takes some effort and planning.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (30)
7.01%
October 2021 (196)
45.79%
November 2021 (44)
10.28%
December 2021 (57)
13.32%
January 2021 (47)
10.98%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (40)
9.35%