Turn on thread page Beta

Buddhism vs christianity watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomQMU)
    A little thing called morals. Morals are a vital part of human nature, and its sources are far removed from religion.
    Are you only good because you think someone is watching? If you could "turn off God" would you go on a killing spree? Don't be ridiculous.
    Lol what morals, they've disappeared now days ... The world would be such a better place if we all thought that God was watching us all the time... and "turning god off" is a complete paradox

If i lost faith in God, then nothing would stop me from stealing, but i would remind my self that it's illogical to think, if i could take part in such immoral acts, I would get away with it as this is untrue. We are all going to be judged on the last day, and we will all be reminded by God of what we used to do, be it good or bad, then truly can justice be served.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yas245)
    Lol what morals, they've disappeared now days ... The world would be such a better place if we all thought that God was watching us all the time... and "turning god off" is a complete paradox
    Back in my day.... stop being so nostalgic for a past you weren't in. Morals haven't changed much in human history, only with media today do we see more detailed pictures of other people's lives.
    And I know turning off god is a paradox, but it was a valid point.

If i lost faith in God, then nothing would stop me from stealing
    This is why Christians are so terrifying. I have no faith in god, but I have a very high moral standard. What about humans before the most recent part of Earth's history (before 1000BC)? Did they not have morals? Don't be silly, morals are a vital part of a civilisation's survival.

ReputationRep:
    This is why Christians are so terrifying. I have no faith in god, but I have a very high moral standard. What about humans before the most recent part of Earth's history (before 1000BC)? Did they not have morals? Don't be silly, morals are a vital part of a civilisation's survival.
    What about morals when people thought it was okay to have black people as slaves, the fact is they didn't know. Whereas if they had sought to religion instead of acting by way of free thinking, then maybe it would never have happened. But i suppose you learn from your mistakes.
    Before 1000BC, I doubt people knew what morals were initially, hence why God sent messengers with scriptures to guide the people , the ones who rejected are most likely to be the ones who also defiantly rejected morals.

ReputationRep:
    What about morals when people thought it was okay to have black people as slaves, the fact is they didn't know.
    Slavery is positively encouraged in the Bible.
    (Original post by Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)
    However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.
    Those who agreed with slavery in the 18th Century etc were strict Christians. The end of slavery came about due to a cultural change, not people suddenly realising that god said it was bad.

Think before posting such absolute nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    Slavery is positively encouraged in the Bible.
    Those who agreed with slavery in the 18th Century etc were strict Christians. The end of slavery came about due to a cultural change, not people suddenly realising that god said it was bad.

Think before posting such absolute nonsense.
    Nonsense??... For your information, Black slavery wasn't JUST slavery, to use the word slavery is an understatement, it was severe torture because of the colour of their skin.. They were held as captives, forced to be slaves. I agree that your allowed slaves if you treat them justly, but not like the dirt they were treated. These so called slaves were treated with no respect; they were beaten, handcuffed by pitiful human beings with no morals. Black slavery didn’t stop due to cultural change, nor did it stop because of religion, it stopped because of the countless violence that took place that lead to off course the assassination of the president.

To believe in God also mean you believe in the here after, certainly in the Abrahamic religions. What I’m trying to say is faith is the foundation of goodness. However when we do come across the shameless bad people, often the people who transgress from religion, for those people there is nothing on this present world that can be synonymous to the suffering that for instance one person has given you.

An example I found was:

What punishment can the human law give Hitler?
    Hitler incinerated six million Jews during his reign of terror. Even if the police had arrested him, what punishment can the human law give Hitler for justice to prevail? The most they can do is to send Hitler to the gas chamber. But that will only be punishment for the killing of one Jew. What about the remaining five million, nine hundred and ninety nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety-nine Jews?

On the day of judgement, when we all return to our Creator, the hell fire for the immoral will be their punishment:

"And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, some to shame and everlasting scorn." (Daniel 12:2 Proclaims)

"And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, where "their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched" (Mark 9:47-48)

"Those who reject Our signs, We shall soon Cast into the Fire; As often as their skins Are roasted through, We shall change them For fresh skins, That they may taste The penalty: for Allah Is Exalted in Power, Wise" (Al-Qur’an 4:56)

Therefore, good or bad morals without the concept of the hereafter are insufficient if they are merely a means for the sake of vital human nature.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that your allowed slaves if you treat them justly
    End of discussion.
    I have never said this on TSR, but you are a fool.

ReputationRep:
    So what, you don't agree with having House cleaners for low pay .. you clearly misunderstood what i said.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.