Should I be doing this?

Watch
Tiatotheresuce
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I work in the UK press office for a major theme park resort in Orlando as a press/PR/publicity manager. We have a rota (1 night at a time) for the out of hours on call officer for media enquiries that need urgent attention. We usually get around 2 calls an hour and 5 emails an hour to the office during the night. Some of them don't really need urgent attention and could wait until office hours but the on call officer is "not allowed to ignore any enquiry that comes through to the office while they are on call". Should I be staying up all night while I am on call?
Bexjw
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Tiatotheresuce)
I work in the UK press office for a major theme park resort in Orlando as a press/PR/publicity manager. We have a rota (1 night at a time) for the out of hours on call officer for media enquiries that need urgent attention. We usually get around 2 calls an hour and 5 emails an hour to the office during the night. Some of them don't really need urgent attention and could wait until office hours but the on call officer is "not allowed to ignore any enquiry that comes through to the office while they are on call". Should I be staying up all night while I am on call?
If you’re getting paid for it and there’s work coming through, then yes. Regardless of how minor/ minimal it may be.

Maybe I’m in the minority here but I personally would never risk my employment over it.
Edward khan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
great
Karisa96
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well if that is what's in your terms and conditions in your contract, then the simple answer is yes.
Failure to comply could result in disciplinary action being brought against you.
Tiatotheresuce
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bexjw)
If you’re getting paid for it and there’s work coming through, then yes. Regardless of how minor/ minimal it may be.

Maybe I’m in the minority here but I personally would never risk my employment over it.
Our manger says we can go to sleep but if the phone rings or vibrates with an email we have to answer it.

I wouldn't risk my employment either.
Tiatotheresuce
Rep:
?
(Original post by Karisa96)
Well if that is what's in your terms and conditions in your contract, then the simple answer is yes.
Failure to comply could result in disciplinary action being brought against you.
Our manager says we can sleep but must still answer every call and email.
Tiatotheresuce
Rep:
?
What annoys me sometimes is when people ring the out of hours on call line with something that is far from urgent and could wait until office hours.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Common sense says you should be awake, if it wasn't for these people calling out of hours you wouldn't have a job.
Tiatotheresuce
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
Common sense says you should be awake, if it wasn't for these people calling out of hours you wouldn't have a job.
Well I would still have a job
Tiatotheresuce
Rep:
?
It's not our terms and conditions that we can't go to sleep while on call.
Karisa96
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Tiatotheresuce)
It's not our terms and conditions that we can't go to sleep while on call.
Well thats good news then, I was worried 😟 for you, i would hate to have seen you potentially disciplined. Xx
HackableYou
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have worked on call before albeit in a completely different field and being on call means just that, you respond only when called. So if it’s an overnight on call shift, I would only work when required and outside of that time I’d be asleep.
Tiatotheresuce
Rep:
?
Well thats good news then, I was worried 😟 for you, i would hate to have seen you potentially disciplined. Xx
Don't worry. I do hate working on call though its tiring.
Tiatotheresuce
Rep:
?
(Original post by HackableYou)
I have worked on call before albeit in a completely different field and being on call means just that, you respond only when called. So if it’s an overnight on call shift, I would only work when required and outside of that time I’d be asleep.
I will probably start sleeping during the times I'm on call but not working.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (114)
25.85%
Better than expected (92)
20.86%
Worse than expected (235)
53.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed