Voxdei
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
This is my last posting on this. Basically there's an outfit called the Choral Trust, like a medusa it sprouts an MFL SCITT and Sheffield Hallam, and then it branches out to Dulwich College as head of the ITT hub. These are the people who demanded a) an IELTS test and b) a GCSE English certificate. I have four uni quals (respectable unis) and I passed Cambridge Proficiency with an A. Both Cambridge CIE and the DfE have said what I suspected, that IELTS is for people who don't have a British passport, and that the GCSE is covered via the Cambridge Cert (matched as higher than IELTS proper). This is also backed up and attested by superior universities than Sheffield Hallam. See for example, UCL, LSE and Queen Mary (mainly the page for foreign students). And these are the people who are supposedly the "SCITT for Languages". Oh they said, but these are not new qualifications ! (ie they want an English proficiency qualification taken two years ago !). Then by the same token everyone's quals are "old". And this is racist and ageist - in today's parlance. What I cannot understand for the life of me is how Dulwich College has any involvement with these people. Oh - they took four hours to turn me down via UCAS - that's fast (submitted Friday at 4pm - rejection came to me at around 1pm on Monday). This is why I think people ought to do something about these qualification demands and their consequences.
Last edited by Voxdei; 4 weeks ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Voxdei)
This is my last posting on this. Basically there's an outfit called the Choral Trust, like a medusa it sprouts an MFL SCITT and Sheffield Hallam, and then it branches out to Dulwich College as head of the ITT hub. These are the people who demanded a) an IELTS test and b) a GCSE English certificate. I have four uni quals (respectable unis) and I passed Cambridge Proficiency with an A. Both Cambridge CIE and the DfE have said what I suspected, that IELTS is for people who don't have a British passport, and that the GCSE is covered via the Cambridge Cert (matched as higher than IELTS proper). This is also backed up and attested by superior universities than Sheffield Hallam. See for example, UCL, LSE and Queen Mary (mainly the page for foreign students). And these are the people who are supposedly the "SCITT for Languages". Oh they said, but these are not new qualifications ! (ie they want an English proficiency qualification taken two years ago !). Then by the same token everyone's quals are "old". And this is racist and ageist - in today's parlance. What I cannot understand for the life of me is how Dulwich College has any involvement with these people. Oh - they took four hours to turn me down via UCAS - that's fast (submitted Friday at 4pm - rejection came to me at around 1pm on Monday). This is why I think people ought to do something about these qualification demands and their consequences.
As pointed out previously it is up to the university which qualifications they choose to accept or not.
You can ask them to reconsider, but it is their choice.
I thought you were building a legal case against them? That would seem an awful lot of effort rather than taking a GCSE or IELTS?

If you have been offered a place at UCL, LSE and QM, then why not go there?

I would be seeking to use my energies in the most efficient way that suited me. GL
Get into Teaching
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Dear Voxdei

There is a requirement that all applicants for Teacher training courses have a GCSE in English, Maths (and Science for a Primary phase course) at Grade C or Level 4 or above to meet the entry requirements- or an accepted equivalent. The providers as individual institutions are at liberty to say which qualifications that they consider to be this equivalent, as they are responsible for the quality of the courses that they deliver.

If you'd like support with making your application, please register here.

All the best, Jane
Voxdei
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Get into Teaching)
Dear Voxdei

There is a requirement that all applicants for Teacher training courses have a GCSE in English, Maths (and Science for a Primary phase course) at Grade C or Level 4 or above to meet the entry requirements- or an accepted equivalent. The providers as individual institutions are at liberty to say which qualifications that they consider to be this equivalent, as they are responsible for the quality of the courses that they deliver.

If you'd like support with making your application, please register here.

All the best, Jane
Yes, Jane - been there, got the t-shirt. No IELTS is required (according to the Dept of Education if you live here and have a British passport. Then those jokers at the Choral Trust/Sheffield Hallam argued that my qualifications are too old. And all of them it seems don't accept NARIC equivalences. Idiots.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (114)
25.91%
Better than expected (92)
20.91%
Worse than expected (234)
53.18%

Watched Threads