Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Added in UCL case:
    Do you have offers data for any universities?
    For 4 cases I have got the offers data as well as the number of applicants and places.
    i) For Cambridge in 07/08 there were 1159 applications, 193 Offers and 177 admissions. So the applicant per offer ratio is very close to the applicant per place ratio of 6:1. http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...html#economics

ii) For Edinburgh in 07/08 there were 703 applications, 258 offers and 64 admissions. So the applicant per offer ratio is 3 which is only a quarter of the applicant per place ratio of 11:1
    http://www.sra.ed.ac.uk/admissions/S...gramme2007.htm

iii) For Durham in 06/07 there were 1,327 applications and 553 offers. So the applicant per offer ratio is about 2.5, which is only a quarter of the applicant per place ratio of 11:1
    2006/7 cycle
    Spoiler:
    Show
    applications to start in 2007 (deferred applications for starting 2008)
    Applications 1200.5 (126.5)
    Offers 501 (52.5)
    Student Accept offer (Firms or Insurance) 208 (27)
    Durham accept student post exams 171.5 (26.5)

applications
    http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/ug.ad...le0607/2-1.pdf

offers
    http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/ug.ad...le0607/2-2.pdf

Applicant replies:
    http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/ug.ad...le0607/2-3.pdf

Confirmation decisions
    http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/ug.ad...le0607/2-4.pdf

iv)A TSR poster said that at an UCL Open Day he was told there were 600 offers made for 180 places. The UCL website says there are 15 applicants per place. That means there are 4.5:1 applicants per offer.

ReputationRep:
    paulwhy, is Southamptons offer definately based on ABBb as well as AAB because the ucas site says that the offer is AAB but the TALET says ABBb

ReputationRep:
    Southampton make multiple different offers. The relevant one is in bold
    Entry requirements
    BSc Economics (L100) and BSc Economics and Finance (L1NH)
    Typical entry requirements
    A level
    students taking 3 A level subjects: 340 points (AAB or points equivalent) with AS Mathematics grade C or higher if not taken to A level
    students taking 4 A level subjects: 400 points to include at least one grade A
    students taking 3 A and 1 AS level subjects: 370 points (ABBb or points equivalent) with at least 320 at A level and AS Mathematics grade C or higher
    students taking 3 A and 2 AS level subjects: 400 points with at least 320 at A level and AS Mathematics grade C or higher
    http://www.southampton.ac.uk/socsci/.../entryreq.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Southampton make multiple different offers. The relevant one is in bold

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/socsci/.../entryreq.html
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    for jobs at investment banks or the big 4 auditor would you guys recommend bristol or durham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XENOCIDE)
    for jobs at investment banks or the big 4 auditor would you guys recommend bristol or durham?
    You should be posting that in the IB forum not here.

ReputationRep:
    alrite then i will rephrase that, which university has a better economics course as thought of by recruiters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XENOCIDE)
    alrite then i will rephrase that, which university has a better economics course as thought of by recruiters
    Sorry. The reason I said to post in IB was that I know nothing of the preferences of IB firms, so I am not going comment. (You may question whether the posters in the IB forum have any real knowledge either. But that is up to you to work out. )

ReputationRep:
    Wow nice data but im not sure how to read it to find out the universities that dont view maths as important as other unis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valour)
    Wow nice data but im not sure how to read it to find out the universities that dont view maths as important as other unis
    That question is answered in TAELT 2009.
    (Link in my sig)

ReputationRep:
    I have updated the last question to:
    3:1 sounds a lot better than 11:1 but I still want to hedge my bets and apply for some variant courses.
    Previously it was
    3:1 sounds a lot better than 11:1 but I still want to hedge my bets and apply for some easier to get into courses.
    The new question is better, as the answer is all about variant courses.

ReputationRep:
    If I have updated post #5 to give some idea of possible sensible course selections.
    Where should I apply to?
    Well If you are confident of getting AAB then even if your application has weaknesses then go for:

1 Bliss Uni
    2 AAB.1.1
    2 AAB.2.1

But will I not get 5 rejections? e.g. I have no GCSE A*s And are not all top unis really competitive to get into?
    York and Southampton are both top 15 unis. But they are not hard to get offers from. e.g. last year York made an offer to an applicant doing 3 A-levels of Maths, GS and ICT. Similarly Southampton have made offer to students with grades b and c in maths and econ at AS.

But what about if I screw up my exams?
    Well the full Southampton offer is AAB/ABBb/ABBC/ABBcc. So if you have a 4th AS-level b then you only need ABB at AS-level. in 08 York let in people with York offers who only managed ABB. (No guarantee York will do the same thing this year.But it would not surprise me)

But I am pessimist
    Then add in a ABB.1 insurnace uni as well as the 2 AAB.1.1 unis.

What about if my application is stronger. Do I still need a AAB.2 uni?
    Above AAB.2.1 it gets very competitive. So unless you are doing 4 A-levels (and that means traditional subjects (preferably including FM).), please include something at the AAB.2.1 level. i.e. you don't want to over apply and end up with nothing.

But if you are confident about the strength of your application then a good 5 if you have 4 A-levels might be:
    1 AAA.0
    1 AAB.0/AAA.1
    1 AAA.2.1
    2 AAB.1.1

So when should I apply to more top unis?
    Well you need a lot academically. e.g. 5 or more good A-levels and 8 GCSE A*s.
    e.g. Notts have started rejecting candidates because they have less than 7 GCSE A*s.
    (If you go to a crap school then you might get away with a bit less).

In that case you might go for:
    2 AAA.0
    2 AAB.0/AAA.1
    1 AAA.2.1/AAB.1.1

Note: I have been working on this for a while. It is not complete but I thought I would post what I have. Please post possible future questions below.

ReputationRep:
    I have added in a bit about international applications:
    What is the situation for International Baccalaureate students?
    The situation with UK unis is different to those on the continent.

Firstly unis are independent in the UK and don't have to take any notice of the standard UCAS tariffs (included here http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/)

Secondly just because you expect to meet a uni's entry requirements they do not have to make you an offer. In fact for economics at the top 10 or so places to get an offer students normally need predictions considerably higher than the typical offers.

What about if I take a qualification such as the German Arbitur that is not listed on the UCAS Tariff Table?
    You should ask your target unis what their typical offer is, as they can vary by uni (even between unis with the same typical A-level offer). So this does mean you do need to ask all the unis you are interested in. But on the upside there may be opportunities: i.e. good places with low Arbitur offers.

How do A-levels and IB compare for Maths?
    I have read (all!) the 80 page expert group panel report:
    http://www.ucas.com/website/document...reports/ib.doc

They attempted to compare IB and A-level qualifications. Complicated situation they looked at Chemistry, Geography and Maths. With Maths they concluded that IB Higher level was about 10-20% larger than A-level. But to match A-level FM, need to do Standard Level Further Maths as well. But it is very very rare for students to take HL FM (only 47 students worldwide in May 2003). Finally SL Maths is 2/3 size A-level.

So my conclusion is that HL Maths students are in a better position that A-level Maths students, but in a significantly worse position than double Maths A-level students (Maths and FM).
    So here are my orderings (best at top)
    1)A-level Maths and Further Maths = HL Maths and SL FM
    2)HL Maths
    3)A-level Maths
    4)SL Maths
    5)AS-level Maths

So HL Maths candidates are not in as strong a position as double maths A-level candidates in getting offers from the top 10 econ unis.

ReputationRep:
    New post application question:
    Haven't got any replies yet! My application was sent off about a month ago. Should I be worried or is this normal?
    Firstly university admissions are beaurcratic. i.e. multiple levels of people process each application. So it can take time.

Secondly the situation is different depending on how competitive the uni is. i.e. some unis make offers to a lot of applicants and let the A_level exam results determine their students. These unis can be quick (very quick) at making offers. Hard to be exact but the cutoff is about the AAB.2.1 level.

Thirdly with top unis the lack of offers means your application is not one of the very strongest (e.g. top 5-10% at the unis you are applying to).

But on the upside the lack of rejections means it is not a weak application (e.g. bottom 20%).
    i.e. the top unis don't make that many offers until after the January 15th closing date
    Split the Warwick and Edinburgh health warnings into 3 questions:
    Are better universities necessarily in higher groups?
    Well if you believe that better universities make higher offers and attract better qualified students then yes in general you should believe that. But some universities make typical offers below their market clearing levels. Two particular universities I know about deserve health warningsdinburgh and Warwick.

Why is the Edinburgh offer so low?
    Edinburgh makes BBB offers. But its tariff distribution is comparable to York’s:

So in terms of how hard it is to get offers think of it as an AAB uni not a BBB uni. Further their student selection basis is holistic and the following factors will all count in your favour:
    i) Attend a school from which few pupils progress to higher education.
    ii) Attend a school which is local (e.g. Edinburgh) or from a nearby region (e.g. Scotland and the English counties which border Scotland).
    iii) Parents did not attend uni
    IV) Serious Disruption to schooling (e.g. Health, disability or family reasons).
    See this post for further background on Edinburgh:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2&postcount=12

Why is the Warwick offer so low?
    Warwick makes AABb offers. It would easily clear at AAA. So think of it as hard to get into as say UCL.
    As to why it makes such low offers, I am not sure anyone really understands that

ReputationRep:
    latest addition:
    Is Nottingham a good backup uni?
    The simple answer is: No.
    They had 40% too many students starting in October 2008 and there has been, as expected a big reaction this year.
    You should ask Notts what they situation are in your particular situation.
    But rejection candidates are being told that Notts are looking for 7
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...postcount=1518
    or 8 GCSE A*s:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...postcount=2152

Hence it is hard to be confident that they will make you an offer. Hence they are not a low risk backup choice.

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of re-naming this thread.
    Does Economic University choice sound good?

ReputationRep:
    Possibly: "How to choose a University for Economics" ?

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Been great help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    Possibly: "How to choose a University for Economics" ?

:dontknow:
    Yes.
    Or maybe "How to choose 5 universities for Economics"?

ReputationRep:
    hey Paul
    your threads are really good thankss

i was wondering why Bath is so low on the Times League tables for economics though?

and also why birmingham is so high on the league table?

are these reliable?
    thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2015

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.